mbloof
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

Bose Soundtouch 10 latest firmware is wonky - disconnects after 1-2 songs

I've grown to love my two Soundtouch speakers, that is until the last forced update. One or both the speakers will go offine every few minutes or so. I've tried two different access points  and both 2.4G and 5G with no help!

It always starts the same, they play fine and within a minute or two one or both of them start cutting out while on the Soundtouch application (tried both iphone and Mac) the speakers are being searched for.

Eventually the app will find the speakers and I can resume playing where they stopped but this is happening CONSTANTLY!!!

Bose please fix and issue a new update ASAP as these speakers are unusable in the current state.

9 REPLIES 9
Hector_B

Re: Bose Soundtouch 10 latest firmware is wonky - disconnects after 1-2 songs

Hey mbloof, 

Welcome to the community! We would love to assist you with any questions and issues you may have with your SoundTouch 10. 

Sorry to read that you have been experiencing some intermittent connection issues. So that we don't get you to repeat any steps can you please let us know what troubleshooting you have attempted so far? 

If you haven't attempted any, I would highly recommend we start with resetting the speaker's as well as your internet router. To perform the reset on the SoundTouch 10's simply turn off your product and disconnect the power cord for 30 seconds.

Please also perform this step on your internet router and update us on the result of this.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
mbloof
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

Please keep in mind that I've had these speakers in service for years.

Both are set to 2.4Ghz and actually are the only devices on that band in my house. The speakers are within eyesight of the access point less than 20 feet away.

I have three clients, Windows10, MAC OSX and iphone. I've noticed that if one client can't find the speakers, one of the other ones will.

I've rebooted my router and downgraded my access point from a 1800 to a older unit with less antennas. While the 2.4Ghz band has heavy use in my area, I believe the drop outs are more from encryption key issues with the speakers and the latest firmware rather than interference from other houses. After all, before the upgrade only my microwave would knock the speakers off line.

The other issue I have is with the presets I've made. I use Amazon music and quite often I get "can't connect to that service right now" messages while I can drill down in the menu and select the same exact music stream and have it work.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi mbloof,

Thank you for that extra information and for trying the reboot. It sounds like you have done a lot of good troubleshooting to look into this already. As you seem to be able to find the speakers from one instance of the app at all times, it does not sound like they are completely disconnecting from the network at least. I do however have a few more questions, to help us get a better idea of your setup.

When you are playing to your 2 SoundTouch 10 speakers, do you have them grouped as a stereo pair, or as part of a general group? If you do have them as stereo pair, if you were to separate the pair from the settings menu and group them using the Play All feature, would you get the same behavior?

You mentioned using them on the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands on your network, do you have these with separate SSIDs? Also, as you mentioned the speakers are the only devices on the 2.4 band, would that mean your iPhone, Mac or PC are all on the 5? I would usually recommend keeping the device running the app on the same band as the speakers to avoid any possible communication issues.

You also mentioned using multiple access points, was this purely for troubleshooting or do you have more than one access point active at a time in your network? 

For the Amazon music issue with the presets, you say this happens quite often, have you noticed any pattern to when it happens? The first thing I would suggest doing to resolve that is removing and re-adding the Amazon Music account to the SoundTouch app. To do this navigate to the menu then Settings > Music Services > Amazon Music > [Your Account] > Remove Account.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
mbloof
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

As mentioned, I set the speakers up as a Stereo pair years ago. They worked fine for years until the last firmware update.

These devices don't talk directly to each other as all traffic has to go through the LAN's router. Up until a few months ago, I had one speaker on 5Ghz and the other on 2.4Ghz. Now both are on 2.4Ghz and all my other devices connect on 5Ghz.

One of my recent upgrades was from a very old dualband router/access point to a modern AC1200+ one.  While I only use the new one in BRIDGE MODE (much like my older one) it appears that the Bose speakers don't like a: Linksys® EA6350 AC1200+ Dual-Band Smart WiFi Router

After downgrading my access point from the EA6350 to a EA3200 I'm able to get music to play most of the time. The "can't connect to that music service" error still happens more often than not.

As far as the music streams go, why would I disable my account and re-add it? This information is stored in the speakers themselves as the 6-favorites buttons can be used without a client.

Again, the speakers sound good when they play but the stream of forced software updates appear to break more then they solve. Some weeks ago I HAD the new access point and speakers working mostly fine.

Which reminds me, what IP address is the clients looking for on startup to update itself? I can simply block that address so no further updates happen.

LoEndMaestro
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 31, 2018

having the same issues here. This is not a user end problem.

mbloof
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 5, 2020

In my case I can confirm that switching access points solved the issue. I have yet to drop by a store and get some other brand of AC1200 router to check compatibility with the Bose speakers.

The problem here is that it DID WORK until the last firmware upgrade.

Arrivisto
Participant
Registered since

Jan 1, 2021

Hi Community

Just discovered and joined the community to get assistance with issues with my SoundTouch10 speakers. In this case, I also experience intermittent connection issues with 1 particular radio station set as a favourite. After an hour or so, the speakers drop the connections and then reconnect. At first once or twice in a 10-15 minute time span, then regularly as soon as the speakers have reconnected.

This seems to only happen with this particular station. When I change stations, the connection seems to remain stable. It also occurred prior to the last December upgrade.

Any ideas.

Jessie_O

Hey Arrivisto, 

Thank you for reaching out to us!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you seem to be experiencing when using the favorites. 

Can you tell me if you experience the same thing when you play the station through TuneIn on the application?

Let me know!

Arrivisto
Participant
Registered since

Jan 1, 2021

Hi. Thanks for responding.

I tried TuneIn and got the message, "... However, you cannot access your Favorites and Premium content on your existing TuneIn account at this time." (So how do I change this?)

Regards,