Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 28, 2019

Bose Soundtouch wireless link to JBL 2.1 soundbar via optical

Hi

I lost my bose lifestyle 135 to robbers. They however did not take power adapter, and all other connector cables and accessories including the soundtouch wireless link adapter. Before i purchased the wireless adapter, i was told it can turn any system into a wireless/bluetooth capable. Now i have a JBL 2.1 channel deep bass soundbar and subwoofer but the bose soundtouch wireless link is not connecting to this soundbar although it has an option for the optical connection. 

Is there something i am not doing right or is it that the wireless link will never connect to the JBL /or any other system that is not Bose? Can someone help me out. 

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Bose Soundtouch wireless link to JBL 2.1 soundbar via optical

Author Accepted Answer selected by Garmos

You won't be able to connect the bar and adapter by BT.  the adapter only has BT in, as do most soundbars.

The only reason I can think the optical doesn't work is that in many soundbars it isn't a separate input.  It's linked to the HDMI(arc) so that if one's working, the other won't.

Last option would be an optical to HDMI converter, which you can search for on ebay.  I can't say it will work 100% though

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Are you trying to output the bar to other SoundTouch speakers or just link the soundbar to play soundtouch?

I think you will find the issue is with the Soundbar. 

If trying to output to other Bose speakers:

You will need to use the Aux cable, not the optical. Does the soundbar have a headphone out? (not all do)

If just using as a speaker for BT/SoundTouch:

Make sure the plastic caps are off the end of the optical (sounds strange but I've seen that issue before).  If you don't have the optical that came with it, you may need an adapter.  One end looks like 3.5mm (but with a hole for the light).  

If that's not working try with the 3.5mm output first.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 28, 2019

Hi Morlock

Thanks for the response. 

• I just want to link the soundbar to play soundtouch.
  • Unfortunately the soundbar has 2 HDMI (one out and the other in) and optical. No Aux in. 
  • Just wanted to use as a speaker for BT/SoundTouch but will not connect to the soundbar which is bluetooth enabled but the wireless adapter cant even pair with it.  I have used the optical before with the stolen lifestyle 135 so am aware of the plastic caps. 
  • Soundbar does not have a headphone out either. 

Are there any other options? I would really wish to play my Deezer music through the soundtouch.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by Garmos

You won't be able to connect the bar and adapter by BT.  the adapter only has BT in, as do most soundbars.

The only reason I can think the optical doesn't work is that in many soundbars it isn't a separate input.  It's linked to the HDMI(arc) so that if one's working, the other won't.

Last option would be an optical to HDMI converter, which you can search for on ebay.  I can't say it will work 100% though

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 28, 2019

Hi Morlock

Very grateful for your technical understanding of these things.   Yes its true HDMI(arc) and Optical cant work at the same time. When i disconnected the HDMI(arc), i was able to stream my Deezer music through the JBL soundbar. (thank you once again)

The question remains now, how do i stream music through the speaker without disconnecting the HDMI(arc) and also have TV audio through the soundbar without disconnecting the optical? There are various convertors online. Do you think this will work?  https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Musou-Extractor-Digital-Splitter/dp/B07P7SKWY7/ref=sr_1_19?crid=1QBQW...

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Rather than a converter you will need a switch (however you may need a converter as well).

The switch would have two inputs (probably 2 HDMI or 2 Optical with one matching output).  With your setup you would probably be better with the optical but you would need that converter you mentioned to go from the TV to the switch.  I don't know if any will switch between inputs automatically, but some have remotes.  I haven't used these so I can't say if there are any quality issues.

https://www.amazon.com/iArkPower-Optical-Extractor-Splitter-Supports/dp/B01K7BZ1XC/ref=sr_1_2?crid=D...

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Quality-TOSLINK/dp/B00HQ2R38C/ref=sr_1_16?crid=DGMJM0L...

The last thing you may check is if your TV has any RCA (red and white) inputs.  If so you can go through the TV, Through the HDMI(arc) to the bar.  However the TV would have to be turned on whenever you listen to the streaming music.