Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 19, 2019

Connecting Sony CD player to Bose soundtouch

I have a Bose soundtouch and Bose single CD player. I want to connect my Sony 5 CD player. Sony has analogue (2 plugs) output.

how do I plug into Bose?

is there a cable to convert analogue to USB feed on Bose?

My Bose AUX has google home plugged into it.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: Connecting Sony CD player to Bose soundtouch

Hello Jbeckcma, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

Can I please confirm the makes and models of each of your Bose speakers? 

This will allow me to help you further. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 31, 2017

Re: Connecting Sony CD player to Bose soundtouch

I’ve asked myself the same question. I think these are the options:

1. You can buy the ST Wireless Link which is used to connect older stereo systems to the ST network. This might be the best option for you if your CD player has good stereo speakers that you want to keep using. I think this will let you rebroadcast the CD input to the rest of your ST speakers, but there might be a delay.
  2. If your ST speakers are series II or III, you can buy a bluetooth transmitter for your CD player. This should allow you to use the BT capabilities in the ST app to send the music to your ST speakers. This is not a good option if you are trying to use dedicated speakers on the CD player at the same time. I’m not sure transmitters even allow you to send the signal while playing to the CD player speakers, but I am sure in this case the music would be out-of-sync because of the rebroadcast delay.
  3. Disconnect your Google Home and connect your CD player by AUX. I only mention this for completeness because I highly doubt this is your preference. I suppose that could change if Bose develops a Google Home equivalent to an Alexa Skill. (Submit a feature request if you don’t like any of the other options on this list.)
  4. Buy another ST speaker and connect your CD player by AUX. Use the ST app to rebroadcast the AUX to other ST speakers. Be aware that there is no regular AUX port on the ST300. If you have an optical port on your CD player, it might be possible to connect those two devices, but the ST300 is not the product I would buy if my main concern were getting an auxiliary device onto ST.

5.  Possibly there is some kind of AUX splitter you could use to switch between the Google Home and CD player? I don’t know anything about this one.

Note: Do not buy a Bose Smart Speaker (Home Speaker 500, Soundbar 500/700). The Smart Speaker product line does not communicate with ST.  (You probably already know this, but just mentioning it for completeness again).

For whatever it’s worth, I have an older stereo located in the same room as my ST300. I don’t want to move the stereo because it’s already in the room where I do the most listening.  With the current limitations, I’ve chosen option 6: Turn up the volume on the stereo if I want to listen to CDs in another room.  It isn’t elegant, but it’s free.