cfv
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 4, 2019

Re: Connectivity Sucks Soundtouch 10

Posted elsewhere by me

Hi Admin

The new forum redesign does not help with resolving the dropped connectivity issue with Soundtouch speakers. It would be great of Bose can provide some priority to fix this longstanding issue to have thses speakers operate seamlessly on home networks like other products from Sonos, Yamaha, Samsung, LG etc.

For a premium sound product the software design and operation of the networking leaves much to be desired. I have 2 Soundtouch 20s and a Soundtouch 10. I was going to expand my music setup with more Soundtouch devices earlier this year. I gave that idea up and am converting to Yamaha (my main hi-fi system is all Yamaha components).

The Soundtouch devices fail abysmally as consumer products because:

- I have to regularly setup each of my devices 2-3 times per week because the connection has dropped or an update is forced through the Soundtouch app on my Android tablet. Other devices - Yamaha, various TVs, android tablets, CCTV etc do not behave like this.setup

- The Soundtouch app on android is not exactly user friendly or intuitive and should provide an option to upgrade or not.

- All the advice provided on the forums to resolve the connectivity issue does not definitively or actually resolve it. Configuration and checking things like static dns, wavelength band and other network settings should not be necessary (see competitors devices) for home consumers. Reboots and calling doubt on routers and other equipment is ill informed advice from a company like BOSE and again unacceptable for consumer products.

As this issue has been unresolved for several years (based on the forum threads) and my internet search for a solution, it is dissapointing that BOSE cannot resolve this significant operational problem and it certainly has impacted on my decision to change systems and actively discourage others from purchasing these units.

regards

Clifton Vincent

Australia

xaerialist
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

Very disappointed to say the least. I have been a fan of Bose for 30 years, have purchased many products in the past and the honest truth is that the Soundtouch Speakers are absolute garbage. I have 5 of them and they always stop playing or only a few of them play...just a bloody joke! This product should NEVER have been released. I called technical support over 10 times and got nowhere. I have the Bose Soundbar 500 with subwoofer...never a problem. The Soundtouch is junk. I'm at the point where I'm going to toss the entire setup in the garbage and even replace my Soundbar / subwoofer for Sonos or something else. I have lost complete respect for this lack luster company. They do not take responsibility for this poor product. It just doesn't work and when it does...it's for 15 minutes! Does anyone know if there is a Class-action suit yet?

xaerialist
Participant
Registered since

Apr 14, 2020

This product is garbage,! I'm so disappointed. (I bought 5 speakers and have had nothing but issues) They rarely work. When you call for support...Bose plays it off as a problem with my wifi. Jeez.

dieseldan
Contributor
Registered since

Oct 14, 2016

I feel your pain, I'm also having problems with these crappy ST 10s. It's very frustrating to spend a ton of money on speakers only to find out their junk. I just sent one in for repairs since the tech couldn't get it to work, I guarantee it will come back with the same problems. My other 10 has to be rebooted constantly and I almost threw the thing against a wall yesterday. The thing is that all of my other wireless equipment works flawlessly, never losing a connection even when out in the garage. My Soundtouch speakers are located only a few feet from my router and can't connect or lose the connection. 

Kimi The Worm
Contributor
Registered since

Aug 5, 2018

Proximity to the router could be the problem - I also had this with a 10 and relocating fixed the issue

Awrdscar
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2015

I literally couldn't have said it better myself. The ONLY thing I can hope for after frustratingly sticking with BOSE for years is that SONOS offers a decent discount for disgruntled BOSE users, because they would then just simply take their competitive angle on this market and lead it outright altogether. I would join a class on this - this stuff is an absolute lemon, and I have 6 of their speakers - all garbage and worthless at this point. I get an average listening time of 5-10 minutes, then it all cuts out. I'm also a rather advanced user when it comes to networking, and have done that stuff professionally - so it's not the network, BOSE, it's NOT the network.  What's worse is the company effectively ditching these software efforts and moving to their "new" connect platform, which is just likely to be Episode V: Garbage 2.0, Sonos Strikes Back! Sorry Bose, I did my best at remaining loyal, this is my eulogy - and you did it to yourself. You are not a technology company, and it's going to be too late when you realize you made the wrong investments and didn't focus your efforts in the right places.

Awrdscar
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 19, 2015

A little more learning from this dysfunctional software ... I found this rather interesting. @bose - I feel like you should look into this... I've tried to connect my speakers to different networks, only to learn that your software (unknown to users - but detected via my network) that your software REVERTS back to old network settings, even after changes ... so somewhere you are saving old network settings, perhaps a well-intended design implementation but in practice is painful - you need to fix this, ... and hopefully this helps you IMPROVE for me and others ...  ideally before Black Friday when I fully intend to swap you our for Sonos if these issues aren't resolved.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@xaerialist wrote:

This product is garbage,! I'm so disappointed. (I bought 5 speakers and have had nothing but issues) They rarely work. When you call for support...Bose plays it off as a problem with my wifi. Jeez.

It probably is a problem with your wifi. There is nothing wrong with SoundTouch speakers. I have ST 10 and 30, they work fine.

tstuck
Participant
Registered since

Aug 8, 2020

I also have this problem. I have two soundtouch 10 speakers and am so disappointed - they rarely stay connected to my network. I even bought a new router to now avail. Shouldnt be a process every time I want to listen to music. Whats even more frustrating, it doesnt seem the company cares. THis is a common issue with their product & they try to blame it on the wifi - used to be a great company; cant believe Bose has gotten this bad. 

ajm46202@yahoo.com
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2020

I am new to this thread, but not the continuous problems with the system.  Since purchasing a multi tiered SoundTouch system (three series 10, one series 20 and one series 30), I have been continually disappointed.  Our household is now in discussion to look for a better option (Sonos??), while we may sacrifice sound quality, nothing could be worse than the constant connectivity issues.  I am baffled by the extremely poor service of Bose.  The last time there was a major problem, I was told I had to create a new account and reconnect.  It seemed to mostly resolve the issues I had at the time, but really a product shouldn't been this difficult.

Additionally, all this talk of changing wireless settings and such is beyond my technical skill.  No matter how many times, I report dissatisfaction to Bose, nothing ever gets resolved.

I have settled to not having the system completely connected!  Sadly, I have given up on the false hope of moving from one area of the house with the music being there.  I haven't been able to keep a connection in the master bedroom (Series 10) for well over 8 months.  The system will play on it's own (sometimes), but will not sync with the other components.

My new issue is the Series 30 bought for the sound quality in a larger area of the house, now continuously drops the connection.  I have tried wifi, preset buttons and airplay from Spotify.  Nothing works!  I am mad at myself for thinking Bose was a quality product!