simpson21
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Connectivity is Awful

Bose....I came into work this morning and suddenly the only way I could connect to my SoundTouch 10's was through Bluetooth. I did factory resets on EVERYTHING....reinstalled the app. Still no ability to play through wifi.

This is merely the latest time that I needed to reconnect my speakers, but it is the first time that basic functionality is now gone. Nice work.

You folks have serious connectivity issues with these things. I am technically savvy and assure you this isn't a "me" thing. If you look at the reviews of your android app in the Google Play Store, you are absolutely getting crushed on there about how much the app sucks, isn't intuitive, needs constant resetting/reconnection.

Just fix it. Don't ask me for my serial numbers. Don't ask me if I'm using Android Marshmallow or not. Don't ask me if my wifi connection has double-secret-probation capabilities. Just FIX it. Oh and BTW...make it STAY fixed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Connectivity is Awful

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hello Simpson21, 

Thank you for getting back to us. 

Just to reiterate what my colleague was saying, SoundTouch runs on a 2.4g network and if you have a dual-band router there may be an issue there. If there have been new devices added to the network in the office the router may have moved the speaker onto a 5g network and this could be causing the issue. 

I understand your frustrations with the situation and I would like to work with you to find a solution, however, we will need to ask a few questions to do this. But in the long run, this should speed things up instead of trying to guess what the issue may be. It would be really helpful to know if you are running a dual-band rota and the details of your phone. 

I understand that you have seen people having connectivity issues online and this can happen like with any wifi product, but we are actively working with customers to resolve their issues. I am going to list the basic steps I would normally recommend if a user was having issues, but without further details, I cannot specify them to your needs. 

• Go to this link here and manually update your SoundTouch system. 
  • Perform a product reset by turning off the product and unplugging it from power for 30 seconds. When power is reconnected, a tone is heard from the product.
  • Reboot the router, routers may need to be reset from time to time - much like rebooting a computer. Disconnect power from the router for 30 seconds, then wait for it to start up and connect. 

• Try downloading the SoundTouch app on your laptop using this link here, and see if you are able to connect so we can identify if the phone is the issue. 

• Try the alternative set up mode. To do this, follow the instructions in this link

If you would like to tailor this or get up and running quicker, please can you answer my questions below or call your local support team. You can reach them by clicking this link, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page and selecting 'Contact Us'. 

1. When you say you cannot connect to the speaker via wifi, are you saying that the app cannot detect the speaker or do you mean something else? 
  2. When trying to connect via Wifi, are you seeing any LED's light up on the front of the speaker? 
  3. Have you tried to remove the speaker from your SoundTouch app if it is still showing and just not allowing you to connect to it?
  4. Can you see any error messages when trying to connect to the speaker?
  5. Is wifi assist turned on on your phone as this could be causing issues if your wifi signal drops momentarily and the speaker is trying to use the mobile 3G. 
  6. Have any Wifi passwords changed recently?
  7. Is your phone running on the same Wifi network as the speaker was previously connected to?
  8. Is your Wifi router due any updates?
  9. Do you have DHCP enabled on your router if so have you tried disabling this?
  10. What phone are you using to connect and what software version is it running? 

I look forward to your response and working with you to resolve this issue to prevent any future issues. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

7 REPLIES 7
simpson21
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Update. And now the Bluetooth connection keeps cutting out. Sometimes only one speaker at a time. Ridiculous.

Hello simpson21,

Thanks for posting in the community, I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with your SoundTouch10. I would be more than happy to help you out with this and run through some troubleshooting on your network if you would like. As the SoundTouch products a reliant on WiFi and the router setup for stable audio streaming playback, most network setups are unique to each household there can be issues that are dependant on the network. I would be more than happy to help you with this over the community, alternatively, it might be easier to call the customer care team to have an advisor helping you in real time with the connection issues you are facing. 

Should you need anything else then please get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Zoe C -Community Support 

simpson21
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Zoe. There was nothing wrong with it before. This is not an issue with my network. This is a Bose connectivity issue. Look online. The web is absolutely littered with people having these issues.

You folks need to either fix your app, firmware, or both.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@simpson21 wrote:

Zoe. There was nothing wrong with it before. This is not an issue with my network. This is a Bose connectivity issue. Look online. The web is absolutely littered with people having these issues.

Try signing out of your SoundTouch account, factory reset then sign back in and re connect the speaker.

Check over your network, router, isp gear etc.

Recently I ran into a connectivity problem on my otherwise very stable setup. At the end of the day, my wifi router was pounding down on my speaker. I had moved it to close to my speaker. The solution was to connect using ethernet cable. Problem solved. My point is often these connection problems are repeated to some kind of interference that may be user caused.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@simpson21 wrote:

Zoe. There was nothing wrong with it before. This is not an issue with my network. This is a Bose connectivity issue. Lookonlinee. The web is absolutely littered with people having these issues.

Try signing out of your SoundTouch account, factory reset then sign back in and re connect the speaker.

Check over your network, router, isp gear etc.

Recently I ran into a connectivity problem on my otherwise very stable setup. At the end of the day, my wifi router was pounding down on my speaker. I had moved it to close to my speaker. The solution was to connect using ethernet  cable. Problem solved. My point is, often these connection problems are releated to some kind of interference that may be user caused.

simpson21
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

Already done all of what you suggest. I even uninstalled the app, reinstalled, factory reset, everything. I got it back to what it was when I started. No luck.
As for suggesting Ethernet...I hope you mean that as a temporary measure, otherwise it would defeat the entire purpose of purchasing these speakers in the first place to need Ethernet to run them.
Again...look online. This is not a "me" problem. This is a product problem. Giving me the old "restart your computer" approach ain't gonna solve a heckuva lot and shows why Sonos is cleaning Bose's clock.

Fix your app and/or firmware.

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hello Simpson21, 

Thank you for getting back to us. 

Just to reiterate what my colleague was saying, SoundTouch runs on a 2.4g network and if you have a dual-band router there may be an issue there. If there have been new devices added to the network in the office the router may have moved the speaker onto a 5g network and this could be causing the issue. 

I understand your frustrations with the situation and I would like to work with you to find a solution, however, we will need to ask a few questions to do this. But in the long run, this should speed things up instead of trying to guess what the issue may be. It would be really helpful to know if you are running a dual-band rota and the details of your phone. 

I understand that you have seen people having connectivity issues online and this can happen like with any wifi product, but we are actively working with customers to resolve their issues. I am going to list the basic steps I would normally recommend if a user was having issues, but without further details, I cannot specify them to your needs. 

• Go to this link here and manually update your SoundTouch system. 
  • Perform a product reset by turning off the product and unplugging it from power for 30 seconds. When power is reconnected, a tone is heard from the product.
  • Reboot the router, routers may need to be reset from time to time - much like rebooting a computer. Disconnect power from the router for 30 seconds, then wait for it to start up and connect. 

• Try downloading the SoundTouch app on your laptop using this link here, and see if you are able to connect so we can identify if the phone is the issue. 

• Try the alternative set up mode. To do this, follow the instructions in this link

If you would like to tailor this or get up and running quicker, please can you answer my questions below or call your local support team. You can reach them by clicking this link, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page and selecting 'Contact Us'. 

1. When you say you cannot connect to the speaker via wifi, are you saying that the app cannot detect the speaker or do you mean something else? 
  2. When trying to connect via Wifi, are you seeing any LED's light up on the front of the speaker? 
  3. Have you tried to remove the speaker from your SoundTouch app if it is still showing and just not allowing you to connect to it?
  4. Can you see any error messages when trying to connect to the speaker?
  5. Is wifi assist turned on on your phone as this could be causing issues if your wifi signal drops momentarily and the speaker is trying to use the mobile 3G. 
  6. Have any Wifi passwords changed recently?
  7. Is your phone running on the same Wifi network as the speaker was previously connected to?
  8. Is your Wifi router due any updates?
  9. Do you have DHCP enabled on your router if so have you tried disabling this?
  10. What phone are you using to connect and what software version is it running? 

I look forward to your response and working with you to resolve this issue to prevent any future issues. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W