Dropped Streams on TuneIn

SOLVED
Highlighted
Wistful Whiz

Dropped Streams on TuneIn

The transition from VTuner has gone well and I was quite happy to switch to Tunein as I had been using the TuneIn Pro app for a few years before I purchased Bose SoundTouch.

My problem is the comercial radio stations I have selected in preset, keeping dropping their stream. The “internet” stations seem to work fine. The comercial stations are 93.7 JR FM in Vancouver BC. 88.5 The Beach in Parksville BC.

These stations are part of the Jim Pattison radio network in Canada.

Dropped Streams did occur occasionally on Vtuner as well so this makes me think the problem may be traced back to the radio stations.

Could you please pass along my concerns to TuneIn, maybe they have some insight into the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dropped Streams on TuneIn

Hi rickatk,

Thanks for the follow-up.

If the system is that close to your Airport Extreme, this could be related to interference issues even if the system shows "very good" for the connection.

Are you able to Ethernet this system to see if it wireless interference that is causing this issue?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

21 REPLIES 21

Hi rickatk,

Thanks for the post. 

I've escalated this to the software team.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Wistful Whiz

@Brandon_M wrote:

Hi rickatk,

Thanks for the post. 

I've escalated this to the software team.

Best,

Brandon - Community Support

Thanks Brandon: I  also contacted Tunein directly. They did a systems check and advised the radio stations I referred to are working correctly on their end. They suggested contacted the stations directly something I will try. The behavior is difficult to reproduce. Recently the live radio feeds seem to have settled down. Oddly, I lost a feed with one of my favourite internet radio stations for a short while. Hard to say what the problem was. 

At any any rate I am posting so you are aware of these issues and can take it up with Tunein provider.

Not a problem, feel free to post any non-working stations.

I've received a response from the software team, they said they were unable to replicate the issue in house.  They played the stations for over 10 minutes at a time without any audio drops.  Do you recall how long it would take for audio to stop for those streams?

Thanks,

Brandon

Wistful Whiz

@Brandon_M wrote:

Not a problem, feel free to post any non-working stations.

I've received a response from the software team, they said they were unable to replicate the issue in house.  They played the stations for over 10 minutes at a time without any audio drops.  Do you recall how long it would take for audio to stop for those streams? I am resorting to a hard restart to get the speaker up and running again. This is affecting the speaker we use the most and the one closest to the Airport WiFi router.

Thanks,

Brandon

Update:

Seems my channels are dropping after 4-5 hours of use. Predominently the commercial channels as mentioned before. I also observed when one speaker goes down after a few hours use the others remain working fine, albeit they may be off at the time or on for an hour or two. So the whole network isnt going down.

Hi again,

When it stops working, it'll stop for up to two hours?

Will it work on any of your other systems during that time?

-Brandon

Wistful Whiz

@Brandon_M wrote:

Hi again,

When it stops working, it'll stop for up to two hours?

Will it work on any of your other systems during that time?

Hi Brandon:

Usally it will stop until I do a hard reboot(unplug) then everything is fine. Usually if one speaker goes down it doesn’t effect the other speakers. I am wondering if this has something to do with activity time outs. Hard to say. I tested another ST30 speaker and it ran for hours on Saturday. 

Somedays there are are no problems then a few days in a row. This makes it all very hard to reproduce and track.

Thanks rick,

I'm testing this now.  I'll let you know what we find.

Best,

Brandon

Wistful Whiz

@Brandon_M wrote:

Thanks rick,

I'm testing this now.  I'll let you know what we find.

Best,

Brandon

Hi Brandon:

This stuff can be very elusive. Objective testing sometimes doesn’t recreate the problem.

Yesterday    SmoothJazz.com  https://www.smoothjazz.com/smoothjazz-player   out of Monterey California was really misbehaving . The problem started when I was on my cel phone using wifi calling. I have a pretty robust WiFi setup (600 Gbps,  AirPort Extreme ac router). I had to finally reboot the ST 30 speaker and things calmed down.

Hello rickatk,

Thanks for the reply and additional information.

Are you able to test and see if this happens if you use Ethernet as well to your ST30 with SmoothJazz next time you're on a phone call?

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support