mark_ruth
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 13, 2019

Features requests related to cannot find speaker

Hello,

unfortunatelly I have to say im the first time disappointed with the quality the SoundTouch provides via the App. This is not related to the sound, just to the Software. Please no stupid comments about WiFi and connectivity. That is all given. I have professional WiFi equipment from Cisco in place. 

Problem: I have DAILY issues of the iOS App or Desktop App to find a speaker. Flushing DNS cache does not work and with the commands provided below you can tell the speaker is found, but not displayed in the Desktop App. However, sometimes the iOS App has the full list of speakers and then I can turn them on, even though the Macbook cannot find the speaker (in the App) while the SD-DNS finds the speakers. I can even connect to the speaker IP and do diagnostics, but its not discovered. 

To sum up my feature request:

• IPv6 support (for the speaker discovery AirPlay uses link-local addresses and does work much better)
  • mDNS/Bonjour as fallback solution rather than primary method of discovering the device.
  • Remember last speaker addresses (.local addr) in Apps to at least try to connect to the last known good address of the speaker

For the others having issues, let me some up a coule of commands for macOS to troubleshoot the issue.

List the mDNS speakers

$ dns-sd -B _soundtouch._tcp

Get details to connect to the Speaker:

$ dns-sd -L somespeaker _soundtouch._tcp 

Out of that you should get:

15:12:51.050  somespeaker._soundtouch._tcp.local. can be reached at binky-1436123403.local.:8090 (interface 8)
 DESCRIPTION=SoundTouch MAC=C123456789 MANUFACTURER=Bose\ Corporation MODEL=SoundTouch

Connect to binky-1436123403.local port tcp/17000 (telnet binky-1436123403.local 17000) and fire some commands:

network wifi status
network status

In my case the I have signalDBM="-51", which is excellent. IP address etc etc is given.

Are there any internal commands to test or enable IPv6?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Features requests related to cannot find speaker

Hi Mark_Ruth, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the SoundTouch application and would love to pass these feature requests on for you. 

I am unable to comment on internal commands as this isn't something that we publicly post. Due to the complexity of your network and set up  I would highly recommend getting in touch with our Customer Service Team via clicking this link. Then kindly scroll and select your region, once this is done please scroll to Contact Us. The team will be on hand and ready to help.

I am sorry that this isn't something that can provide you with. 

Kind Regards,

Hector B - Community Support