Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Getting It Right

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery then Bose should be pleased about Denon’s latest wireless home speaker product release. Three different sized speakers loaded with goodies.

The speakers run on Denon’s multiroom platform Heos, which is similar to SoundTouch or Bose Music. The speakers even have presets. All speakers have Alexa, Google and Siri capabilities. As well there are a variety of music services including TuneIn, Amazon Music HD, Tidal, Roon, Sound Cloud and Spotify to mention a few. No Apple Music, but that isn’t surprising.

The build specs look impressive as do the internal drivers presented in a blowout image on the Denon web site. I haven’t listened to the speakers yet so I will reserve judgment on that front. Sound of course is the most important feature I would say. 

All the Denon Home speakers have Wifi, BlueTooth, Airplay and Ethernet connection capability.

My point to this post? Denon has definitely built their system using some features Bose has been using for years. Presets, chassis design even the whole home speaker multiroom solution. Bose unfortunately falls down by not offering some of the music services like Roon and Tidal. Amazon Music is embarrassingly incomplete on the Bose line. Also, Bose where is the third home speaker, the "700” ? As well Ethernet should be across the line. 

I suspect the Bose speakers will still sound better. I wasn’t impressed the former Deon Heos speakers, they sounded boring and were ugly. Denon’s new home speaker sound capability remains to be seen.

At any rate, when I look at the new Denon speakers, the product line looks complete. Unfortunately the Bose line and offerings not so much. There are some important features missing.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Bose products. I do get frustrated sometimes though by the incomplete offerings. So when I see what Denon has just rolled out I hope Bose takes a good look.