Mtubbs0417
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 15, 2017

Google home connectivity to Soundtouch

Could you please provide an update regarding Google home connectivity? I recently chose Google Home over Amazon Alexa due to its Wi-Fi connectibility.
90 REPLIES 90

Re: Google home connectivity to Soundtouch

Hi Mtubbs0417,

Google Home can communicate with other Google Chromecast-enabled devices by "casting" over Wi-Fi. SoundTouch products are not Chromecast-enabled and do not have these features built-in. That being said, Google does make a product called the Chromecast Audio. This can be connected to any Bose speaker that has an auxiliary input. Once the adapter is connected, you can then cast audio to the speaker, as long as it is turned on and set to AUX. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

Brian

BerlineDeluxe
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

Hi Brian,

Is it safe to assume then that the newly developped Alexa skills released in late November by Bose such as "Alexa, play music to Bose speaker" etc. etc. are note to be implemented with Google Assistant functionality ? 

I would definitely like to know because I just purchased 2 Google Minis, I have a lifestyle 535 and a bunch of SoundTouch and I will switch to Amazon Echo if that's the case. 

Thanks in advance for you detailed answer and please enlighten me ! 

Hello BerlineDeluxe,

Thank you for posting. I'm not aware of a timeline for implementation of Google Assist on our SoundTouch products. The Alexa skills that were just released are available for the US english market at this time. When we have an update for when the Alexa skills will be available to other countries, we'll let the community know.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel

BerlineDeluxe
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 4, 2017

Hello Joel, 

Thank you so much for the fast answer. Since I live in Canada, does that mean it wouldn't work even if my default language is U.S. English ? If that's the case, do you think it would work if I bought my Amazon Echos in the States or is it location based so that I'd be unable to make it work with an IP address originating from Canada ? 

Thanks again and have a nice weekend. 

Hi there BerlineDeluxe,

Thanks for the question.  The skill has initially been released to US based Amazon accounts.  There is a workaround to change your Amazon account to a US account, but I am unsure of the details of how to do so.

Changing IP address or purchasing Echos from the US wouldn't affect receiving the skill, I believe the only thing that will get you the skill is to switch your Amazon account over to a US based account.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Best,

Brandon

Jonnymilk88
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2018

The issue with this set up (which I have) is it’s costly for houses with multiple sound touch (i have 7 sound touch in the range) but I have only connected a single sound touch to one chrome cast audio.

It also requires that you power on the unit, switch to AUX and then if you want to play on multiple speakers then you have to open the app and play all.

Given that the Bose App has the ability to power on other speakers that are sleeping there is clearly some internal API to power on the speakers and group them together. So any functionality to enable speakers to be properly controlled from Google Home Assist should be software/firmware based only.

Given Bose’s market leading position I’m surprised you haven’t leapt to aligning with Google Home Assist more.
Highlighted
Menks13
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Dec 21, 2016

yeah give us the ability to control our bose products thru the google assistant.

DavidHzNY
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 27, 2018

Yes, Bose, please don't ignore Google Home / Google Assistant - that's quite a large market for you to ignore.

I have the Bose/Chromecast Audio setup too, and also find it quite awkward to always ensure power on and AUX, etc.

It's frustrating as a customer to have no information from you that you have any plans to deliver Google Home integration.

Thank you.

DavidHzNY
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 27, 2018

To be clear, personally, I will not switch to Alexa from Google Home just for this. And that would not be a valid suggestion on Bose's part. Supporting Google Home, or at least announcing your position on support for Google Home, would be the appropriate response. Thank you.