Codym10
Serene Sponsor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2019

Re: Google home connectivity to Soundtouch

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.18.55 AM.pngVirtual Switch (Connected with Speaker Control)Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.20.59 AM.pngVirtual Switch DetailsScreen Shot 2019-03-03 at 10.23.27 AM.pngSmart App - Speaker Companion

SmartThings Details ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

joe_ward
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 25, 2019

I’m not sure if this is covered in previous posts, but like others I have been frustrated with the lack of Google home integration with my Soundtouch devices.

After a lot of tinkering I have now managed to use a combination of OpenHAB (openhab.org) running on a Raspberry Pi and custom commands set up through IFTTT with my Google Home. With a bit of googling you’ll find everything you need, I’m not a coder (although I’m reasonably tech savvy) and I managed it after a couple of evenings.

You can control the player (play, pause, skip etc) and selecting one of the 6 presets to play on a specific Soundtouch (I have four set up) which was what I set out to achieve. I don’t think you’ll be able to have as much control as you do over a chromecast say (eg “play Foo Fighters in lounge”) but it is useable.

I’m happy to try and answer any questions but there was a lot of trial and error involved!
Boseymcbose
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 12, 2019

It's getting a bit ridiculous. People shouldn't have to be hacking their sound touches to get Google home support. Bose is really letting us down on this one.

As someone who is developing a smart home, Bose is really making it hard for me to keep my soundtouch under the tv.
Alantabs
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

May 5, 2018

Yes. What's the point in having good gear if you are not going to support it?

I've given up on my sound touch! Sold them off cheap on ebay and moved to sonos.

Matt_D.Papa
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 28, 2019

I'm sadly considering the same switch....

I've been loyal to Bose for the past 15 years (despite the lack of a loyalty program or exchange program) simply because I love the equipment. I still regularly use my old Dock10 to which I connected a SoundTouch Link adapter for Btooth and WiFi services (spotify) as well as connecting it to my home speakers.

I have several bose headsets and earbuds, I've bought a few surround sound systems for family and friends (and myself of course) and some single speakers here and there.

For me to make the move to Google sound systeme would be a big change but I'm starting to feel Bose isn't listening. They never listened when we asked for an exchange program to bring back old tech for discounts, and now they aren't listening with this Google home connectivity issue. This may be the drop that makes the glass overflow for me.

Highlighted
Alantabs
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

May 5, 2018

Straw the broke the camels back 🙂

drewfeesh
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 3, 2019

SoundTouch and Google Assistant Integartion

Hello, Bose! I was wondering if we would see Google Assistant support for SoundTouch music systems since Amazon Alexa has support for SoundTouch. The Google Home community is such a big market and I want to control my Bose speaker with my Google Home Mini without the aid of a Chromecast Audio.

NickMeulenbroek
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 19, 2019

Re: SoundTouch and Google Assistant Integartion

Google Home connectivity is a true must for me too..

I have purchased a lot of Soundtouch products just before you launched the new series. Now I don't get to have the latest app (very dissapointing that you don't make them compatible) and apparently will be missing out on functionality too (by not integrating Google Home as an example).

I am so annoyed and really thinking about switching to another brand if Google Home integration won't be fixed for SoundTouch.

Bose, could you please elaborate on the topic? What are the expectations?

Regards,

Nick

Alantabs
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

May 5, 2018

What does all this mean?

NickMeulenbroek
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 19, 2019

Re: SoundTouch and Google Assistant Integartion

@bose could you please provide us with an answer?

Thanks,

Nick