limaynard
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 2, 2018

Re: Google home connectivity to Soundtouch

So, uninspired by the progress on this issue, I am looking at an alternative. I am automating some other stuff and planning to use HomeAssistant running on a Rapberry Pi 3 B+.

This can be used to control Bose Soundtouch devices (apparently) and it can also be linked to Google Assistant (Google Home).

If I can get it working then I can link Google Assistant to my HomeAssistant and control Bose that way. In essence, the Home Assistant would just be a multipurpose automation hub that can control many other devices too.

Travel
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 29, 2018

Good news is that Sonos CEO Patrick Spence says that the integration of Sonos speakers and Google Home Assistant can be expected "later this year", with both parties working hard to get it ready in time for the holiday sales period.  While I do like Bose better than Sonos the later's quality it more than acceptable as I get into my 50's and desire for clear sound at a level that allows for conversation is more important.

limaynard
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 2, 2018

I got it working yesterday using a Raspberry Pi 3 running hass.io (Opensource Home Assistant).

The Home Assistant (HASS) can control the Bose Soundtouch devices and by doing some port forwarding on your router you can get Google Assistant to give voice commands to the HASS.

I have 4 soundtouch devices with on / off / volume and they are controllable via the Google Home app and Google Assistant voice control.

Next step is to get speaker groups set up and choosing the presets (at present it defaults to last preset used).

It took me a day or so to figure out all the details but it does work. total investment <$100.

I am looking to write up a guide to doing this as the ones on the internet have a few holes.

boyksi
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 2, 2018

To Bose support - please add your SoundTouch speakers to  google home assistant. I have three bose soundtouch 10 and one bose soundtouch 30 in all rooms and I will appreciate if you add this feature. Thanks from Bulgaria

Hello boyski! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

I have passed your request to our development teams. Thanks very much for your interest in improving the features of our SoundTouch speakers. Have a great day! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Lionelhurtz
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 3, 2018

Hi comunity,

I have a Bose and a Google Home, pelease se need a resolution about rhis isue.

Best regads
simon@kemp.se
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 10, 2018

+1 for google Home to control Bose Soundtouch. 

Very dissapointed to learn that it didn't. Smiley Sad

Alantabs
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

May 5, 2018

Come on Bose. When are you going to add Google Home functionality?

DavidHzNY
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 27, 2018

So disappointing we don't have an official response from Bose.

I have a setup working -

Google Home Mini for the Google Assistant.

Chromecast Audio plugged into Aux jack on my Bose.

The Chromecast set in the Google Home app as the default speaker for the Google Home Mini.

It works, but I'm wasting a ton of features of the Bose and using it just as a "dumb" speaker. A much lesser Bose product could perform the same function.

Alantabs
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

May 5, 2018

Yes, I am stil hang on to the hope Bose will get their act together regarding Google Home.  But sooner or later I'm going to have to make the call. Alexa is rubbish compared to Google Home so If Bose don't do something about this soon I'll be selling my Bose sound touch/Alexa and switching to Sonos and Google Home!