Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 5, 2017

Hard wired SA-5’s play, then grey out “searching for speaker”

I have six SA-5’s, all Hardwired to my expensive switch, which is connected to my router in my AV closet.   All has been fine and great until a week ago.   I open the app, choose a source, play a song, and within 5 seconds, the source greys out, the app says “searching for speaker” and the music stops.  It’s happening every time I use the app.  I’ve unplugged and restarted my router. I unplugged and restarted each SA-5.   I’m definitely getting internet in the house so it’s not a lack of internet.  I also have close to 100mbs from

Spectrum, the broadband company I get service from.   I’m at a loss.  It’s beyond annoying and I’m not sure what else to do.  Any thoughts appreciated.  

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Hard wired SA-5’s play, then grey out “searching for speaker”

Hi gabrielmichaels,

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are having using your SA-5 amplifiers and I would love to help you get this back up and running again.

It sounds like you have already done some great troubleshooting so thank you for doing that and letting us know! Resetting the router and the SA-5s, and checking your internet connection and speed are great starting points to troubleshoot this issue.

I do have a couple of questions to help me get a better idea of what exactly is happening with your system.

You mentioned that this issue happens every time you use the app. Does it happen with all music services in the app or just certain ones?

Also, after the app starts saying "searching for speaker" what do you have to do to get the speaker back online in the app to try playing from it again?

As this issue only started happening recently, has anything changed in your network or set up around the time this started? Has a new router been installed, a new device running the app or anything like that?

One thing I would definitely recommend testing, if you can, is plugging at least one of the SA-5s directly into the router, bypassing the switch, to see if the same issue happens then.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 5, 2017

The problem exists only when I'm in the Bose app.  I can start music on spotify on my iphone, and sometimes, transfer the source over to one of the bose SA-5's.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Either way, when it works, when I open the Bose app and try to add additional SA5's to the group, it stops working.

I am not able to plug the SA5's directly in to the router.  Not exactly sure how to do that within my AV closet.

If I wait about 10 min, the app finds the speaker again and shows an active source to listen to music.  But the same thing happens over and over.

I can play music from any app on my phone with no problems.  The issue exists within the Bose app only.

No changes to my network since this issue started.  I've added items to my network like Ring devices, but I already have 4 Ring devices (have had them for 2 years), so can't see why adding new Ring devices would cause a problem.   It would be best if I could trouble shoot this on the phone with someone.  Is that not possible?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

I don't own any SA-5's but a lot of us recently have seen our speakers start to reboot on their own, for no apparent reason.  And of course, while they are rebooting, they aren't on the network and cannot be found by the app.  So don't know if this is what is  going on in your case, but sounds similar.  The solution for this issue for most of us is to remove the speakers from your account, delete your account, factory reset the speakers (not sure if necessary, some users didn't do this and still it worked), create a new account, and add the speakers back.