Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 11, 2015

Intermittent Connection

Hello, I have the Sound Touch 20, the sound and functions are amazing. However, I am having issues with the connectivity. Sometimes the playback is flawless other times it is intermittent (regardless if it is streaming or playing back from my own library). This is very frustrating given the fact that I need to pause, play and link again every couple of minutes. Please advice 
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

Re: Intermittent Connection

HI TarekJaroudi, 
There are a number of potential causes of intermittent signal such as what you describe above. The most common one we see is slight interference coupled with very weak Wi-Fi reception to the speaker.
To begin. Please use the following article to check on the received signal strength at your speaker: 
Determining the received signal strength
Please let us know what RSSI rating you find for your speaker after this process. If you see a result of "Fair" or "Poor", consider moving your SoundTouch speaker closer to the router to improve reception.
Thank you. 
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 11, 2015

Hello George, 
Thank you for your reply.
I did what you suggested and found that the signal is fair, I tried to move the router closer to my SoundTouch, however the signal remained at fair. 
Thus, I do not think it is a proximity issue because the router and the unit are a couple of meter apart now. 
Please advice 
Thank you 
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

To ensure normal operation, we need the speaker to be reporting "Good" or "great"  signal from the router. Here are some other considerations wen looking at improving this:

1. Obstructions between the router and the speaker can greatly reduce the range. Walls, Large appliances (refrigerators, microwaves etc.), Thick wall studs or book cases, etc. can all have a large impact when they are directly between the two devices. Shifting the speaker relative to these obstacles or (ideally) creating a clear line of sight between them may vastly improve signal and range.
  2. Does your home use any secondary Wi-Fi access points to spread the signal further? (Extenders, repeaters, AirPort Express, etc.) If so, your speaker could be accidentally connected to one of these by Wi-Fi instead of the router itself. Try disabling the extra access points as a test if so.
  3. At worst, we can try the speaker temporarily hard-wired to the router by Ethernet and see if the problem persists. If so, then we will need to look elsewhere for a solution. If not, then we know this is related to the wireless connection.

Let us know what you find. Thank you.
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 11, 2015

Hello George,
Point number 1 and 2 are not applicable given the fact that there is no obstruction between the router and the speaker and that there is no secondary Wi-Fi access at my home.
I have tried to put the speaker and router on the same table but the wifi still had a fair signal.
Highlighted
Registered since

Apr 11, 2015

Also find attached a print screen showing my router settings. Please
advise. Thank you
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 11, 2014

If you have the speaker and the router very close (on the same table, as you say), but still receive a "Fair" RSSI rating, that would usually indicate that your speaker is connected either to a different access point for Wi-Fi. Or potentially that either your router or system is having issues with wi-fi broadcast.
To mitigate this: We'd ask that you please try hard-wiring the speaker temporarily as a test (as mentioned in step 3 above), since this will both force it onto the same network and remove any potential of wi-fi problems. Please let us know whether the issue changes or how when the system is plugged in by an ethernet cable.

Some Other troubleshooting to make sure we cover:

1. You can perform a basic reset to the speaker by holding the AUX button on top for 15 seconds, then waiting for it to reboot. When you turn it back on test whether the same issue occurs.
  2. Make sure you have also reset your router manually. Most Wi-Fi routers can be rebooted by unplugging for 30 seconds.
  3. You can perform a factory reset to your SoundTouch device and set it up on the network again (similar to the first-time setup) - Information on how to do this can be found in the article: Restoring factory defaults

Lastly: We are unable to see any attachments you send in an email reply. If you wish to include a screenshot you will need to log in to the forum and upload it directly.  Please also let us know the brand and model # of the router you use in your home. 
Thank you.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 31, 2020

Soundtouch intermittent sound problems

I have several bose speakers- let me start by saying I love bose sound. That said, I have a soundtouch 300 sound bar, a soundtouch 20 ii and a soundtouch 20  iii, all of which are on my wifi.  I usually bluetooth to the soundbar (bose doesnt support all of my streaming services) then group the other two speakers.  The soundtouch 20 ii plays intermittently and it is driving me crazy.  Sure the other speakers go in and out rom time to time, but it is effecting my listening.  I have tried restarting the speaker, and reconnecting it to the wifi.  Nothing seems to make it better.  It doesn't seem to need a software update (looked through the app).  Please advise!