Highlighted
mdbraber
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

Keep getting "Multiple Speakers Discovered" during setup Soundtouch 10 over USB

Hi,

I'm trying to (re)set up my Soundtouch 10 over USB. When trying to connect via USB I keep getting the message "Multiple Speakers Discovered" while there is really only one connected. Tried factory reset, different cable orders (plugin first, after etc) but to no avail. Setting up with the mobile app doesn't work as it seems that it won't continune to the next screen on iOS13 after connecting to the Bose WiFi network...

Any pointers?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Keep getting "Multiple Speakers Discovered" during setup Soundtouch 10 over USB

Hi mdbraber, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. This is a very strange issue and not something that I have seen before, however I would love to assist you in resolving this. 

I would highly recommend that you attempt to set the speaker up via the Alternate Setup method that is listed here if you are unable to set the speaker up via Wi-Fi or USB. As you are also unable to update the speaker via these methods please attempt to update the speaker via this method here. Please also perform a standard reset on the speaker by turning off your product and disconnecting the power cord for 30 seconds.

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding the result of these steps. If any other community members are also experiencing this issue please do let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B - Community Support 

ChairmanCEO
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 28, 2019

Re: Keep getting "Multiple Speakers Discovered" during setup Soundtouch 10 over USB

I have tried all options available however I too am still unable to (re)connect a SoundTouch 10 to my system. It seems that ever since I updated to macOS Catalina 10.15.1, I have had major issues with my SoundTouch system (2x Soundtouch 10, 1x Soundtouch 30).  

In addition to the above, I cannot add my iTunes (now, Music) library to the app prior to all the connection issues.  I could only listen to the streaming services via the app. If I wanted to listen to my own library, then I had to connect via Bluetooth. 

Hey ChairmanCEO, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community! Sorry to read that the steps above did not resolve this for you. 

Does this same issue occur on every device or only on the Mac? If you haven't yet tried can you please test this on a different device to see if the same issue happens. Please can you also delete and reinstall the Bose SoundTouch Application from your device and attempt to set up the speakers again. 

In regard to the issue that you are having with the music library on your computer, can you please let me know if they are stored on Mac or onto a Nas drive? 

I look forward to hearing back from you with the answers to the questions above. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B 

ChairmanCEO
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 28, 2019

Hi Hector.

With regards to the devices, I only have Mac products at home (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone). The SoundTouch app is on each device, and they are connected to 3 Speakers. Two of the speakers are connected without issues. The third, a 10, is not connecting at all. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling plus all the setup and alternate setup methods across devices, to no avail. I've decided to take the speaker into the Bose service center, to see whether they can fix it. 

With reference to the music library, it is on the Mac hard drive. This problem occurred after OS was upgraded to Catalina. It just won't allow me to click onto add 'My iTunes music library'. I can only play the library (which is filled with music that my Spotify account doesn't have) via Bluetooth, which is not ideal. I read in another threat or two of some other people having similar problems, but I haven't seen any solutions as of yet.

Hello ChairmanCEO, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

There were changes made to Mac OS Catalina (the removal of iTunes, the introduction of the Apple Music app) which prevents music libraries from functioning properly. You can read more about this here.

Please find below a workaround that has worked for us and our call center teams.

Note: This isn't a final solution and we hope there will be a way to streamline this in the near future.

To add a music library using macOS 10.15 (Catalina) or later:

• On the computer, open Apple Music
  • Go to File > Library > Export Library
  • Select [user's] Home folder > Music
  • Create a new folder named iTunes
  • Name the music library file iTunes Music Library.xml and save it to the iTunes folder
  • On the computer, go to Applications
  • Create a new folder named iTunes.app

Add the library using the SoundTouch app on your computer

• In the app, choose Add Service on the left
  • Choose Music Library on Computer (Note: Only one music library can be added per computer. This computer will appear below the name of a library already linked from this computer to your SoundTouch account)
  • Select My iTunes music library
  • Enter a name for the library and choose Add Music Library
  • Music stored on connected external drives, non-default hard-drive locations or separate internal hard-drives will be found by the app as long as the computer is turned on and the program managing the library (Windows Media Player or iTunes) can find its own files. For music stored on separate drives, .xml and .itl files must be in the default music drive and directory.

Note: Any changes to the content of your library will not automatically sync. To sync after updating to Catlina: 

• Manually sync your music library:
  • On the computer, open Apple Music
  • Go to File > Library > Export Library
  • Select [user's] Home folder > Music
  • Create a new folder named iTunes
  • Name the music library file iTunes Music Library.xml and save it to the iTunes folder, overwriting the previous XML file.

With your SoundTouch speaker, I would recommend fully resetting the speaker (hold preset 1 and Vol - together for around 10 seconds or until the LEDs start to blink.) On the SoundTouch app go to Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings and ensure the SoundTouch 10 speaker is removed from the list of devices. Once the reset has completed on the speaker, you will see a steady amber light and setup can commence. 

I hope this information helps! 

Kind regards,

Jeff G