Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

LInk Adapter Sound drops in Aux In

My objective is to be able to play CDs from my Sony 5 disc player to all my SoundTouch speakers. It seems to me that the way to do this is to connect a SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter using the Aux In socket.

I have two Adapters. One of them (Adapter A) is connected via Audio Out to a set of B&O speakers & works fine. The other (Adapter B) was connected via Audio Out to a Yamaha receiver and when I connected a source via SoundTouch had been having problems with the output - the sound dropped out, then after a few seconds, then came back on for a little while before dropping out again.

I recently bought a Soundbar 300 so no longer needed the Adapter B/Yamaha setup. 

But now I have been trying to connect my CD player to to Adapter B so I can rebroadcast my CDs to all my Soundtouch speakers. A direct connection from the CD player to Adapter doesn't work, presumably because there's no amplifier. Of course, the CD player works through my Yamaha, but unfortunately, the Yamaha does not have a direct output that will accommodate the Adapter except for a headphone jack. 

So I tried the headphone jack by connecting my CD player to the Yamaha, selecting CD player, and after first making sure that setup worked with my headphones, connected the Yamaha headphone jack to Adapter B Aux In & got the same kind of problem as I was having with the Audio Out - the sound comes in & out. Only it's more frequent. Then I tested that setup using Adapter A & got the same problem. So it's evidently not a problem with the hardware. 

For what it's worth, when I connect the Yamaha to my TV using the Yamaha's HDMI output it goes through to my SB300 via the HDMI ARC link with no problem (while continuing to play through my other speakers connected to the Yamaha).  So I can play my CD player output to the SB300. But I can't see any way to rebroadcast the sound from the SB300 to the rest of my SoundTouch speakers. 

I have not explored the possibility that I there's an adapter that will allow me to use the Yamaha's HDMI output to link to the Adapter.

If anyone knows of some other workaround I could try, I'd be happy to learn! 

But in the meanwhile, does anyone know how to make the Adaptor's Aux In function correctly?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: LInk Adapter Sound drops in Aux In

Hello Hdow, 

Thanks for reaching out. 

I'd love to explore this more with you. 

I note that you said that you have connected both adapter "A" and "B" to the headphone port of the Yamaha receiver and audio drops out, but adapter "A" works fine on other devices. When you say "it may be a hardware issue"could this be with the Yamaha receiver outputting audio? We can test connecting a different aux device (non-Bose and non-adapter) to the Yamaha's port to test. If the audio still drops, then reach out to Yamaha for support.

I would also love to know what CD player do you have, and what ports/inputs/outputs do you have? Could you please provide images of model numbers? Also, if the CD player has a headphone port then you could connect the SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter directly to the CD player to broadcast the CD audio to the other SoundTouch speakers. 

Let me know!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

Re: LInk Adapter Sound drops in Aux In

HI Vicky - thanks for the reply. Just picked up on it...

While I've been unable to solve the problem with the Link adapter, it's no longer an issue for me. I eventually figured out that the HDMI In port on the Soundbar 300 is actually controlled by the AUX button on the Soundbar remote, so I've used that to link up my CD player to the 300.

I used the problematical Link to link an older Wave radio I have to my Soundtouch network, where it is working fine. 

However, you might put a suggestion for improvement into the SoundTouch App suggestion box. It would be nice if the Soundbar interface on the app had an AUX option, which would eliminate the need for me to hunt up the Soundbar remote to input what's playing on my CD player.