Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Linux support for Bose Soundtouch App

Hey Bose,

I love my Soundtouch devices. Multi-Room audio is absolutely reliable and a great pleasure but there is one thing that is really annoying: There is no Soundtouch app for Linux.

I have followed this post where people started hacking with wine to get it running but latest releases were not working: https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/soundtouch-app-on-ubuntu-linux-with-wine-speakers-n...

So what's the deal? I have spend severeal hunded Euros on a nice audio system but I cannot control it from my Ubuntu machine... I am a linux guy and I simply don't have a windows machine at home and every time I want to control my audio system I have to pull my Android out of my pocket or start fiddling with the XML-API. That's really annoying. Please, I beg you... please turn your Soundtouch in a cross-platfrom Electron app and everyone will be happy. Or maybe provide a PPA for Ubuntu. My Laptop is always running but my phone is always laying around somewhere in my house and I really hate searching for it to control my music.

Please consider releasing a Soundtouch app for Linux users.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Linux support for Bose Soundtouch App

Hi Schneekluth, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community! 

Thank you for your feedback and your experience with the SoundTouch application. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy the multi-room aspect of your SoundTouch speakers. 

I have marked your post so that the development will be able to review yours suggests. If any other user on the Community are in the same position, we'd love to hear from you!

If there is anything else I can do, please reach out to us again!

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Thanks! Meanwhile: @p__8  Did you manage to get latest Soundtouch app running on Linux? If so would you share the required steps?

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Hi I haven't tried to install the last version recently but the automatic updates were functional till recently.

It is very important to use the very last version of wine and not the standard version provided by ubuntu. If you haven't the latest version of wine (at least 2.13), try this "Here is the way to install compiled version of wine for ubuntu: https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu

You can chose the version easily and it is really easy to install. (Choose Staging)

After that you have to configure wine to choose windows 7 or higher and not windows xp, with the "winecfg" app that you have to launch via a terminal."

I hope this help!

P.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

Thank your for the detailed instructions. Will try it asap.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 26, 2020

Well i am one of those Linux users who would really love to be able to run the soundtouch app on my laptop(s) which run on Linux Mint..

and i am sure there is a growing crowd of Linux users ever since Windows XP and Windows 7 were no longer supported by Microsoft.

So yes, a big please for a Linux application for the soundtouch app