Lead Community Manager

MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

On October 7th Apple released Catalina, the 10.15 MacOS update.  There are a couple of changes with this update that will affect your experience with the SoundTouch and the BTU Updater applications.

One of these changes is an added layer of security where MacOS will prompt users (shown below) when installing or updating the SoundTouch or BTU Updater applications. 
catalina1.jpg

This is bypassed with the steps below:

• Click Show in Folder
  • CTRL-click or Right Click SoundTouch-osx-installer icon
  • Select Open from the menu that pops up
  • Select Open (shown below) to continue installation will continue.

catalina2.png

MacOS 10.15 has also replaced iTunes with Apple Music. As a result, applications that utilize the iTunes Music Library XML file will no longer be able to function properly.  With that said, if you are a SoundTouch user who has added an iTunes source then you will be affected in the following ways.

If you already configured iTunes within the SoundTouch App before updating to Catalina, you will still be able to access your music via SoundTouch after the update, however, any changes made to that music library will not be updated within the SoundTouch App.  This includes moving the song files to a new location or removing iTunes all together.

If you attempt to configure a new iTunes Music Library within the SoundTouch App after updating to Catalina, you will encounter a disabled and greyed out iTunes Music Library option (shown below) and will not be able to complete the setup process.

catalina3.jpg.png

If you have already updated, you will still be able to use Bluetooth or Airplay (depending on your SoundTouch model) to play your music library.

Please note that we are currently looking into a solution and we urge all users to consider the information within this article before deciding to update to Catalina. 

60 REPLIES 60
Highlighted
Plasmanut
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

My understanding is that .xml issues happening as result of this MacOS update were well known before the release of Catalina. Developer beta versions of the OS are made available to give vendors such as Bose a reasonable amount of time to make the necessary changes to their proprietary software. 

Now, not only is Bose not delivering a solution as Catalina is released, you’re asking us to delay updating the OS and depriving ourselves of many features which add value to the MacOS experience. This is unacceptable. 

If and when a solution is identified, there should be no excuse as to why Apple Music can’t be made available as a service to iOS users. Or perhaps that’s out of scope?

Bose is really pushing its luck with many customers with these repeated affronts. 

Kent A
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 29, 2015

So, in other words.. This will be something they promise to look at for a couple of years without fixing. Just as they have with the promises about Apple Music and AirPlay2

-it will never happen

Wookie
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 19, 2015

Why not just produce a Bose music library to replace iTunes, then it would always operate correctly with Bose products?

hdp29
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

All metadata is saved within an mp3 file (artist, album, track number, artwork etc). It would be so easy for t the Soundtouch app to just scan a folder containing music files, and extract the metadata to create its own database of songs available to play. I never saw why it relied on going through iTunes before.

Plasmanut
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

It’s called lazy programming, something we Bose users are a victim of, sadly. 

tissfan
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina: Bose Sound Touch Who's issue is it ?

I have a Bose Sound System and have synced it to my iTunes account with no issues for two years.

I use an iMac and I have upgraded to Catalina, the 10.15 MacOS. As discussed any new albums I have down loaded from itunes (you still can) do not appear in my Bose play list. Everything before the upgrade is there and plays with no problems. 

I called Bose Technical support today and explained this to the support person who picked up my call. 

His reply was "yes it's an Apple issue they want you to buy their stuff".

I do buy their stuff (music) but I choose to use Bose as the hardware and software to play my music. 

I also asked "so if I signed up to Apple Music can I play the songs through my Bose Sound Touch system" ? He replied "No same issue , its Apple not Bose". 

Surely this makes my Bose Sound Touch redundant going forward ?

Are Bose working on this to resolve the compatibility issues ? Do I have to look at alternative ways to play my music leaving my Bose gathering dust ? 

Apple have made companies well aware thatCatalina was on its way , if this an "Apple Issue" or a "Bose Issue"? 

NeonsNight
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Man this place is really salty. I would like to point out that this has affected a LOT of other companies out there that used the iTunes XML file to access music. So while it is not a brilliant outcome, Bose is not alone. 

Apple, like usual, is not taking responsibility for changing something other developers have relied on for over a decade to make their apps work

"According to Apple, if a customer is using software that relies on the XML method for syncing, they should avoid updating and continue using their preferred software on macOS Mojave until developers push out fixes (some, like Serato, are already trying out new beta versions tailored for Catalina). iTunes on Windows has not changed, so apps on Microsoft’s platform should function as normal."
https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/7/20903391/apple-macos-catalina-itunes-dj-software-breaks-xml-file-...

LLohia
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

I have recently (2 days back) purchased the Sound touch 30. Reading all this, I am inclined to return it. These software and compatibility issues between large companies charging top dollar is not worth it. I need to enjoy my music and can do with all this hassle. Bose has enough time to sort this and its issues with royalties on Apple Music. They need to realise that as good as they are, Apple dominates and there are alternative to Bose like Sonos. I feel that Bose still has a 'hardware' mindset and does not understand or care that software is as important. 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Regrettably switching speakers may just bring on a host of other issues.

>These software and compatibility issues between large companies charging top dollar is not worth it. I need to enjoy my music and can do with all this hassle.

This is a common problem and we as consumers have to bear the brunt of these companies and their competitive leanings. So much for universal standards. They all like to tinker with standards and make them unique to their products.

Before you return your speaker first determine whay you be doing with it. If you are not using iTunes or Apple Music and want to listen to music from say Spotify, then no problem. None of these Airplay /XML issues are relevant. If you intended on using your speaker to play your iTunes library or Apple Music Sound Touch mat not be for you.

Me I use an AirPort Express and none of this is a problem, even though Apple cancelled their router program. My gear (Bose and Apple ) works fine and I am am not about to jump ship because of these recent announcements.  

Fortunately, you are in a return period. Just be sure you don’t get something that comes with other problems.