Highlighted

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

Hi alejandrofan,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I would be happy to assist with this.

The reason there is a step included for creating an empty .app folder is because iTunes no longer exists within Catalina, it has been replaced with Apple Music.

When adding a music library the SoundTouch app does look for the iTunes app as part of its authentication process and by having the .app folder, this tricks SoundTouch into thinking iTunes is installed for it to use.

Those setting it asking you to check under 'iTunes warning' is part of the original process to add the library directly from iTunes. With the workaround instructions you have been following, this setting change will not be necessary. 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 8, 2015

I cannot get the SoundTouch installed on my iMac (Catalina) at all. Just get the following:

"SoundTouch-osx-installer" can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Except for that, the only way I can use SoundThouch is by not updating my new MacBook Pro to Catalina. That is not acceptable Bose. Are you completely phasing out Apple? If so the honest thing would be to come with a statement to that effect. Then I can start selling all my Bose equipment (7 systems) and get other workable solutions.

Highlighted

Hi Terje,

Thank you for posting.

The issue you are describing was introduced by new security permissions in the Catalina update. The instructions on how to install the app when this message appears can be found at the top of this thread. Follow those steps and you will be able to install the SoundTouch app on your iMac successfully.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 8, 2015

Hi Keith L,

Thank you for directing me to this. I did not pay enough attention. I followed the steps as described and got SoundTouch on my iMac, but it is still utilizes the MacBook Pro library (via the network). So consequently my MacBook has to stay with current Mojave OS. So then back to my last question, is it Bose intent to get this issue resolved or will Bose let Apple iMusic drop off the list of possible music services?

Hi Terje01,

That's quite alright, it gets easy to miss some information when a thread grows to this size, but I'm glad that helped.

We do have a workaround in place for using a music library on Catalina, but we are also working on a permanent fix for this. We don't currently have information on an ETA for this, but we are working to make sure we can get this up and running without the extra steps currently required.

As soon as we have more information to share on this we will make sure to let the community know.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Keith L

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 28, 2017

Will there be an update of the Soundtouch app so that the workaround solution is not required?  

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

Keith, I have tried this workaround and it doesn't... work.

I have followed all steps exactly as described, down to file name. The option to add the library isn't greyed out anymore, I click add library and... nothing. Back to the home screen.

Highlighted

Hello Djhare, 

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I am sorry that the workaround is not working for you. In this instance, I would suggest giving us a call. Our telephone agents have the ability to see what is happening in realtime on your computer and talk you through what to do, with your permission of course. 

You can reach your local support team by clicking this link here, scrolling to the bottom of the page and selecting 'Contact us'. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 12, 2020

Thanks, but I don’t see how that can help. Why do I need to deal with it in real time? What I just explained is exactly what happened, it’s clearly no hardware fault, and if Bose online doesn’t know a fix why would the local support?

Can you not provide suggested fixes here for others to see who have similar issues? It’s not exactly a secret the SoundTouch system doesn’t play nice with Apple in general.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@djhare wrote:

Thanks, but I don’t see how that can help. Why do I need to deal with it in real time? What I just explained is exactly what happened, it’s clearly no hardware fault, and if Bose online doesn’t know a fix why would the local support?

Can you not provide suggested fixes here for others to see who have similar issues? It’s not exactly a secret the SoundTouch system doesn’t play nice with Apple in general.

I suspect the “fix” will be an Airplay solution. Apple has pretty much written XML code solutions out of Apple Music /iTunes. Seems there isn’t really much Bose can do about that.

While you likely won’t be able to store your iTunes library on SoundTouch devices any longer, you will be able to stream Apple Music from your macOS and iOS devices to your SoundTouch devices going forward. Streaming music over Airplay to external, non Apple devices is pretty much the standard for Apple products now. Apple has really opened this standard and many manufacturers are jumping on board.

According to Bose, Airplay on SoundTouch devices will occur end of February.

A plug for Apple here: While vacationing recently I had the opportunity to use Airplay streaming to watch Apple TV shows and listen to Apple Music, all on a Visio TV. The streaming was flawless! I haven’t been a fan of the prospect of tethering my iOS device to run Apple TV and Music but I have to say it all works very well. 

I never used the iTunes XML feature to play my music library, preferring iTunes and Apple Music over Airplay. I think adding Airplay to SoundTouch speakers will be the better method all around(compared to an XML solution. I am looking forward to pulling down my Airport Express devices from my SoundTouch speakers...hopefully in a couple weeks.