Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 29, 2020

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

For a while now my mac won't let me open the sound touch app saying it needs updating but it won't let me update it for some reason.

So I decided to delete it and re download it and start again, however when I try to do this my mac won't let me download it as the app I am trying to download apparently needs updating which is causing security issues preventing the download.

So I now don't have the app and can't play music from my library which is annoying, could anyone help please, thanks, Terry.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 30, 2020

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina: Bose Sound Touch Who's issue is it ?

This is definitely a Bose issue. They knew Catalina was coming and sat back and abandoned Sound Touch users. Probably because we are using there older products and all their new products use Bose Music (I'm not even sure that works with Catalina). This makes me very hesitant going forward to purchase more Bose products for my home outside of headphones. I want to upgrade to a new sound bar and outdoor speakers but can't because the newest sound bar uses the Bose Music app while the outdoor speakers amplifier uses the old Sound Touch app. Oddly Sonos speakers have been using the same app for years and it works fine with Catalina. I have been a loyal Bose customer for 15 years and my home is filled with many of their products everything from Lifestyle home theater systems to TV speakers to computer speakers but going forward I will have to re think continuing to buy their products. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@DiscoCoaster wrote:

This is definitely a Bose issue. They knew Catalina was coming and sat back and abandoned Sound Touch users. Probably because we are using there older products and all their new products use Bose Music (I'm not even sure that works with Catalina). This makes me very hesitant going forward to purchase more Bose products for my home outside of headphones. I want to upgrade to a new sound bar and outdoor speakers but can't because the newest sound bar uses the Bose Music app while the outdoor speakers amplifier uses the old Sound Touch app. Oddly Sonos speakers have been using the same app for years and it works fine with Catalina. I have been a loyal Bose customer for 15 years and my home is filled with many of their products everything from Lifestyle home theater systems to TV speakers to computer speakers but going forward I will have to re think continuing to buy their products. 

What feature in Catalina are you concerned about? If it is the XML library feature, Apple dropped iTunes and iTunes libraries. That is not Bose's fault. I can't see Bose putting out an update to address XML libraries, why would they?  iTunes libraries no longer exists. The standard is Apple Music. If you want to use your Apple Music library. SoundTouch series III speakers and Smart Home both support Airplay now. That is how you get your Apple music over to Bose products. 

My SoundTouch gear is 6 years old and I can play Apple Music on all my speakers, old and new. I don't see the problem. If you want new Smart Home speaker gear go get it. I am sure everything will work just fine and it will sound better than Sonos.

Cheers!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 30, 2020

Yes new music added to my computer will not show up in the Soundtouch app. This should be addressed by Bose and I find their response to not upgrade to the new operating system laughable. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@DiscoCoaster wrote:

Yes new music added to my computer will not show up in the Soundtouch app. This should be addressed by Bose and I find their response to not upgrade to the new operating system laughable. 

@DiscoCoaster 

Bose has upgraded to Apple's new operating system, it's called Airplay 2. Use Airplay... That is how Apple wants you do to it.

I don't want to sound blunt but that is the reality. Apple has determined how things are to be done where their products are concerned. No more iTunes, no more iTunes library. Apple Music and Airplay is the way of the future.

The only improvement Bose could add is to include Apple Music as a built in service. That is unlikely however. Airplay is much cheaper to license.  

Really, using Apple Music and Airplay is very convenient and you can play any added songs immediately. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 28, 2020

@rickatk Your advice looks sound, my SoundTouch 20 is less than six years old so according to Bose I can use Airplay 1. 

However, following the steps on their guide for this:

In the SoundTouch app, go to "Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings." If "UPDATE SOFTWARE" or "UPDATE ALL" appears, tap it to install system updates

If you have an AirPlay 1 SoundTouch system listed above, enable AirPlay Optimization in the SoundTouch app:

1. In the SoundTouch app, select the menu icon (≡) in the upper-left corner
  2. Select "Settings > Speaker Settings" and select your SoundTouch system with AirPlay
  3. From the Speaker Details screen, select "Advanced Setup"
  4. Set the AirPlay Optimization toggle to the right to enable it (Note: Your system might not respond for about a minute while the change takes effect)

At step 3, Adv Setup, there is no AirPlay Optimisation toggle. The only option is to enable or disable "Auto-off"

So how did you manage this? My SoundTouch app is up to date. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@m4xwl wrote:

@rickatk Your advice looks sound, my SoundTouch 20 is less than six years old so according to Bose I can use Airplay 1. 

However, following the steps on their guide for this:

In the SoundTouch app, go to "Menu > Settings > Speaker Settings." If "UPDATE SOFTWARE" or "UPDATE ALL" appears, tap it to install system updates

If you have an AirPlay 1 SoundTouch system listed above, enable AirPlay Optimization in the SoundTouch app:

1. In the SoundTouch app, select the menu icon (≡) in the upper-left corner
  2. Select "Settings > Speaker Settings" and select your SoundTouch system with AirPlay
  3. From the Speaker Details screen, select "Advanced Setup"
  4. Set the AirPlay Optimization toggle to the right to enable it (Note: Your system might not respond for about a minute while the change takes effect)

At step 3, Adv Setup, there is no AirPlay Optimisation toggle. The only option is to enable or disable "Auto-off"

So how did you manage this? My SoundTouch app is up to date. 

Sounds like your speaker was on the cusp of the required manufacture date. Contact Bose directly. They will log in and have a look at your speaker. It may qualify for the update. That is what I had to do with two of my ST30s(series III) purchased in 2014. The refurbishing procedure was pretty easy and free.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

@djhare wrote:

itunes has handled what is now a 2 TB collection of audio files seamlessly as it grew, and now won't repeat a track for a year. it's a fantastic program and apple need to stop messing with the GUI, there are people out there who really like to have rare music, live sets, lossless audio and not rely on streaming services. I use apple music when out and about and it's fine, but at my desks, everything is triple backed up and on a nas. unfortunately running a nas with soundtouch means I can't get rid of the soundtouch app yet.

Apple Music should be able to handle your music library quite well. Coupled with Airplay there is no reason  you can't have continuous looped and shuffled music right from the Apple Music app. As long as your speakers are running Airplay, your Apple Music app should connect with no problems. My Apple Music (formerly iTunes) library is quite large and is backed up in iCloud and locally on my desktop and time capsule. Apple Music, like iTunes before it handles my library of 7000 songs quite nicely. SoundTouch doesn't really enter the equation. All my SoundTouch speakers are Airplay equipped and receive music from either my iPad, iPhone or iMac. Apple Music should be able to point to your NAS drive and play all your music just as iTunes did.

In short I don't think the XML /Catalina issue is that big a deal for consumers. Apple Music and Airplay are there to handle your music libraries and multiroom speaker needs.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 28, 2020

@rickatk thanks

Found a fix now. Airplay icon at top didn't show my SoundTouch, but went in to System Preferences/Sound/Output and it was listed there as a device. Clicked that and Apple Music now plays on SoundTouch, despite still not showing on the Airplay icon.

I wonder how many others this would work for and why in 13 pages of posts no one from Bose offered this as a solution.

Hope it helps some others.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@m4xwl wrote:

@rickatk thanks

Found a fix now. Airplay icon at top didn't show my SoundTouch, but went in to System Preferences/Sound/Output and it was listed there as a device. Clicked that and Apple Music now plays on SoundTouch, despite still not showing on the Airplay icon.

I wonder how many others this would work for and why in 13 pages of posts no one from Bose offered this as a solution.

Hope it helps some others.

The macOS menu bar only shows certain Airplay device, usually those with video, like Apple TV. But if you go the Apple Music lets say and click on the Airplay icon you will see all the Airplay devices. This is the same in iOS. 

Can you please clarify what you mean by “Apple Music now plays on SoundTouch.”