rogerkjohnson@hotmail.co.k
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 20, 2018

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

Terrible support from Bose, cannot believe they can ignore their customers like this. Unless fixed soon I will no longer be a Bose customer. It’s not like Apple kept Catalina a secret! 

Loteklenny
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

I have a Mac mini 2018 with Catalina. I have the latest Airport Express which is now unsupported but works fine. I have the Mac mini hard wired into the Airport Express which connects to my receiver. I am getting away from iTunes and am now running Roon. I am planning to purchase another airport express for a backup. Bose Sound Touch app will not install but I know of a work around to put it in. The music library function for the Mac doesn’t work on the Mac Catalina but I don’t use it. 

Thomasframes
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Aug 17, 2019

And your point is?

Good luck buying Airport Express. I believe Apple has discontinued it.

Jelco
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 19, 2019

Bose Soundtouch problem

I received this e-mail today from Bose.

In collaboration with Apple, Bose is looking for a solution to find a user-friendly way to synchronize your music library again in combination with MacOS Catalina. At this moment we have no insight into a date on which this was achieved.

Until then, you can play music via Airplay or Bluetooth.

Jon goulden
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina: Bose Sound Touch Who's issue is it ?

I stopped into the Bose store in Stanford mall today to see if they knew anything about Catalina compatibility. They didn’t know anything specific but pointed out that all the SoundTouch devices were on sale since they were all being obsoleted by new equipment that used different software.  And they told me that the new software was not backward compatible so not to expect much for the old SoundTouch software or the old SoundTouch hardware. At least they were honest.  I wonder of Costco will let me return my SoundTouch speakers?

Jon goulden
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

Return it if you can.  Bose is obsoleting anything SoundTouch.

Hello Jon Goulden, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community Forums. 

I would just like to clarify with you that at the moment we have no plans to make SoundTouch obsolete and are continuing to work on improvements and new features for it. Just last month we have released an update to the systems. We will also continue to make improvements to the app.

As we any other product our development team is committed to bringing users what they are requested and making fixes and improvements. It is true that our Smart Home range and SoundTouch range use different firmware but they are both equally as important to us. 

I would recommend you keep updating your systems as the years go on for new and exciting things to come. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Plasmanut
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

What new features are you referring to? Looking back at 2019, other than an attempt to make Spotify Free (which was bumpy to say the least), all that happens is we HEAR the same message from moderators on this board about new features, but we don’t SEE anything materialize. 

As a matter of fact, we are losing functionality because Bose can’t even keep up with the evolving hardware and software from other companies making products or offering services that are supposed to integrate with the SoundTouch line. 

Therefore, I highly question what Bose has in mind for this line. I definitely didn’t see anything new in 2019 and if that’s the case, I’m not sure how Bose intends on dedicating more resources or efforts towards an aging product when they’ll have even more competing priorities moving forward. 

mikesafford@tumwater.net
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 7, 2018

I offer an alternative solution that does not require messing with the Mac/iTunes file structure.  However, my solution requires that you have a (newer) AppleTV connected to a smart TV (I have an LG OLED 4K UHD) with ++optical++ audio out.

1.  Ensure the optical audio out on your smart TV is connected to the optical audio input on your Bose Sound Bar with an appropriate optical cable.  Enable optical audio output in your smart TV settings;

2.  Connect to your Apple TV on your smart TV;

3.  Select the <Computers> icon on the Apple TV;

4.  Select <Music> on the task bar;

5.  Select Playlists, Albums, Artists (however your organized your iTunes music)

6.  With the Bose Sound Bar remote select the <TV> icon.  This will enable audio from the TV to be passed to the Sound Bar.

7.  Mute audio on your TV - TV audio played concurrently with Bose audio creates a minority unpleasant echo.

8.  Obviously, use the AppleTV remote to control your music playlist from your computer and the Bose remote to control volume.

NoseBose
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 11, 2019

Hi guys

I was able add my library using the mentioned method by Bose a few weeks ago. It has since disappeared from the services list and won’t add back in when I try to use the same method again. Had any faced a similar issue and found a resolution ?

many thanks