JLangt
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2017

Apple no longer opens Soundtouch installer because of "malicious software."

Another Soundtouch update means I must uninstall and then download the app to avoid the dreaded Bose loop.

Uninstall and re-download, then try to open on my Macbook Air with Catalina 10.15

And I get this

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 15.50.38.pngSo right now my Soundtouch speakers are not much more than useless lumps of plastic and metal.

Please sort this out. 

noonas
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

Re: Apple no longer opens Soundtouch installer because of "malicious software."

I believe that if you read the 1st post, there are instructions around this part. However you are still stuck with whatever playlist you had before the upgrade.

JLangt
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 8, 2017

Re: Apple no longer opens Soundtouch installer because of "malicious software."

God forbid Bose should devote any effort to ensuring its software works properly instead of creating overpriced sunglasses with earphones.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

@LLohia wrote:

Any instructions on setting up the Airport Express Airplay. I am not able to get it right. If works for a day and then I can't see the device on Airplay or Airplay Utility. 

Firmware update:

You may want to check the firmware on your Airport Express. The older version was a little flakey. Go to Airport utility and look for your Airport Express. You should see a red message dot calling for a firmware update. Run the updater.

General use:

1. Select AUX on your SoundTouch Device

2. Open Apple Music on your device, select the Airport Express in the pull down external device menu (triangle with circles).

3. Adjust your volume

4. Enjoy. 

As an aside, troubleshoot for reception problems, ensure your AE is positioned well, clear of interference etc. If you are having reception problems I suggest a hardware reset.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Thomasframes wrote:

I am waiting for delivery of a new Mac Mini to replace my iMac. Please let me know how Airport Express functions with the latest upgrade (Catalina) and SoundTouch. 

Catalina (specifically XML) is not an issue with Airport Express and SoundTouch devices. Airport Express allows you to carry Airplay to SoundTouch via the aux port so there is no interface with the SoundTouch app.

I have updated all my macOS, iOS and Airport Express gear, Airport Express works fine under macOS Catalina.

awills61
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 27, 2018

This Article seems to imply that an export xml function does exist in the new music app. There is also a video link in the article showing it working. I haven’t tried it so I don’t know if it works though logically it does seem that this should update an existing library but I’m not sure if it would let you configure a new one.

Hilarius_derTraurige
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

This "customer information" is a bad joke. The first macOS 10.5 Catalina developer build (BOSE is developer FYI) was released by Apple on June 4, 2019!
The customer communication is underground. My email sent six days ago has not been answered yet. When will BOSE release an update? Customer complaints about AirPlay 2 and other questions about integrating Apple products have apparently not convinced BOSE to put customer satisfaction and long-term commitment on the agenda.

It is barely comprehensible that BOSE is currently promoting the purchase of the SoundTouch 30 on its homepage. The lack of support for AirPlay 2 and iTunes on macOS is not mentioned. On the contrary, the iTunes logo even stands beside the other supported audio sources.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Hilarius_derTraurige wrote:

...It is barely comprehensible that BOSE is currently promoting the purchase of the SoundTouch 30 on its homepage. The lack of support for AirPlay 2 and iTunes on macOS is not mentioned. On the contrary, the iTunes logo even stands beside the other supported audio sources.

Technically, iTunes and Apple Music is still available using BlueTooth. Agreed though, seems iTunes, Airplay and Apple Music have dropped off the radar for SoundTouch.

Apple has dropped iTunes, XML libraries and its own external Airplay device and is forcing the issue with Apple Music and related licensing. I think this is part of Apple’s music content and services strategy. Bose doesn’t seem to want to get on board where SoundTouch is concerned.

Sam5577
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 29, 2019

I downloaded Catalina before understanding that the Bose App would not work with the new Apple software.  I have been unable to use my Bose speaker for several weeks now, and I have been told to be patient while Bose works on a fix.  I am so frustrated with the Bose software, that I would like a refund on the purchase price of the speaker to enable me to purchase a competitor's wireless system that has better software.

awills61
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 27, 2018

I have now tried installing Catalina on a different partition and can report the following;

1. The export XML functionality is available in the new 'Music' App and it does produce an XML file that appears to be in the same structure as the old XML file from iTunes.

2. The Soundtouch App doesn't seem to be able to 'see' this file and consequently new and/or updated libraries on Catalina will not work with the Soundtouch App as it stands.

So we are waiting for a fix from Bose - don't hold your breath.

I've now done some further testing and have the following update.

1. If you upgrade to Catalina from Mojave your old music still does play and your iTunes library is left as it was in Mojave (see below)

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 12.30.54.png

Once you launch the 'Music' App your Music Library is built but all your original files remain in the iTunes Library.

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 12.31.20.png

If you then add some new music to your library you can then manually export the xml (within the Music app choose 'File\Library\Export Library..'

Screenshot 2019-11-07 at 12.32.54.png

If you overwrite the xml file in the iTunes library then the Soundtouch app will pick it up and your new music will be available on your speaker,

2. If you remove your library once you have upgraded you cannot re add it.

3. If you have done a clean install of Catalina you cannot add a library