smm160
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 8, 2019

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina

Hi, When you say you use and Airport Express, what is your setup?

I have a Time Capsule so wondering if I can mirror your setup?

Or maybe Bose could fix this 😞

LLohia
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

What has worked for me is to use an Airport Express to restore to factory settings and then use join and existing network option. Once that is done, connect the Airport express to the speaker using Aux input using a 3.5 inch jack. Once this is done, I am able to use Airplay to play or stream from Mac, iPad or iPhone. 

Hope this helps.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@smm160 wrote:

Hi, When you say you use and Airport Express, what is your setup?

I have a Time Capsule so wondering if I can mirror your setup?

Or maybe Bose could fix this 😞

I have an AirPort Express connected to each of my SoundTouch devices via the Aux 3.5mm port. This effectively turns the SoundTouch speaker into an Airplay speaker bypassing the need to access the now defunct iTunes library in Catalina and iOS. Apple Music via Airplay sees the connected device as an Airplay speaker and streams the music accordingly. 

Ironically AirPort express uses 3.5 mm to connect. Apple has since dropped AirPort Express and 3.5mm but this setup still works just fine and coupled with SoundTouch is quite a classic setup now.

AirPort Extreme And Time Capsule doesn’t support Airplay in any fashion.

awills61
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 27, 2018

I've updated a previous post of mine (bottom of page 3) with some further results from my testing on Catalina.

RP_Cage
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

That works. Thank you. I presume you're on Bose payroll as you are doing the job of Bose software engineers. 

Hilarius_derTraurige
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 25, 2019

This proves that BOSE works exactly zero on the macOS SoundTouch app and punishes its customers with outrageous ignorance. I will switch to B&O.

Terje01
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 8, 2015

I am extremely disappointed with Bose. I got 6 systems based on SoundTouch (of a total of 8 systems) and invested quite a sum of $$. There should be a system where Bose had to take a return and compensate the $$ spent if they do not fix this issue SASP.

smm160
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 8, 2019

Here is the thing people saying that apple told folks using XML not to upgrade. How would a regular user of Bose stuff even know they were using xml. I didn't now this setting existed until it stopped working. Also the really strange thing is Bose tell you to remove the music service and re add, this technically breaks the service as as you cannot re add it. AWESOME WORK BOSE, PLEASE FIX THIS

Dpage
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 16, 2019

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina what's the solution?

Although I appreciate the fact that you acknowledge that there is an issue with the of soundtouch and IOS Catalina's compatibility, it does not excuse the fact that Bose new this was coming. I have used soundtouch since its birth and it was and can continue to be a great product. I have system in 10 different rooms. Im sure there others who have invested more than I have. The bottom line is simple. You know their is an issue, FIX THE ISSUE ASAP!! People will still continue to upgrade the operating systems on their home computers. Apple offers that free on any Mac device. Im sure Bose will not offer a free system upgrade as in a new product. This is a serious inconvenience to the consumer. And if not fixed it will be a big issue when comes to dollars spent.  FIX THE ISSUE!!!!!!!!

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: MacOS 10.15 - Catalina what's the solution?

Patience!