Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Music library not updating in Soundtouch App

I am having an issue with my music library not updating.  Any music or playlists that I have added over the past few months do not show up in my music library in the Soundtouch app.  All of my older music is there, but none of the more recent additions.  I know that the Share ITunes library is checked.  I have deleted the library and added it again, but the recent stuff still does not show up.  I have deleted some playlists in my ITunes, and they are not showing in my app.  (which tells me that the app and ITunes are communicating)  I noticed that the file location on the recent additions has Apple Music on the end, so I copied those files and pasted them into the files where my older music is located, but still nothing.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted

Re: Music library not updating in Soundtouch App

Hey JoeH, 

Have you seen this thread here

If so, can I please confirm which computer you are running iTunes on? Do you think you could be affected? As mentioned on that thread "If you already configured iTunes within the SoundTouch App before updating to Catalina, you will still be able to access your music via SoundTouch after the update, however, any changes made to that music library will not be updated within the SoundTouch App.  This includes moving the song files to a new location or removing iTunes all together." If you are using a Mac, I think this may be what's happening. Let me know what you think!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Thank you for the reply.  It looks like that thread is all related to Mac users.  I use a PC with Windows 10.  Is there a way to access my music library with Apple Music?  I see all the comments in that thread, but I did not see any solutions posted for a PC user.

Highlighted

Thanks for letting us know that JoeH!

If you are using the iTunes app on a PC then the thread about the changes made on Catalina would not effect you, as iTunes is still supported by Apple on PC. It is interesting that the file location on the recent additions has Apple Music on the end, were these files purchased from iTunes directly?

As the file location has changed, it would also be worth checking the file type of the newest files. The music library feature in the SoundTouch app can support MP3, AAC (excluding protected files), M4A, WMA (excluding WMA lossless), and FLAC (16 bit/44.1 kHz — stereo files only). If the files have been stored as any other format than the ones listed, it would explain why they are not appearing in the SoundTouch app for you!

I hope this helps, let me know!

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Yes, this new music was purchased through ITunes. 

It looks like the file type is MPEG-4 Audio File (Protected)  (.m4p)

Is the file type causing the issue?  Is that going to prohibit me from playing this music through my Bose system?  (I have 6 Soundtouch speakers, so Bluetooth is not an option)

If I cannot do it through ITunes, what about NAS?  What would I need to do to get my music into a format I can listen to?

Highlighted

Hi Joe,

If the files are .m4p, then this would explain why they are not showing in the SoundTouch app. It's a simple process to convert files using iTunes, so if you follow the steps shown HERE, you'll be able to convert the files to one of the supported formats.

Once you've converted the file, sync the music library with the SoundTouch app again and the files will show available for you to play in the app.

Let me know how you get on!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2019

Thanks for the response.  However, changing the file type does not work.  I get an error message that says that protected files cannot be converted to other formats.  Remember that the file type is MPEG-4 Audio File (Protected) (.m4p).

Do you have another suggestion?

Highlighted

No worries Joe H, as the files were purchased from iTunes, I did think that iTunes would be able to convert them still. 

If you have changed the import encoding format in the iTunes preferences, as part of the steps you were following earlier, it could be worth deleting and re-downloading one of the files to see if this changes the format that iTunes downloads the file as. If it does allow you to download one of the files as a different format, you can then re-download the others as well.

One thought I do have on this as well, did you download these files as part of an Apple Music subscription, or were they separate purchases from the iTunes store? As you mentioned the file location have "Apple Music" on the end, if they are part of an Apple Music subscription, it could explain why the files are in a different format and unable to be converted using the method you tried before. If this is the case, I would recommend reaching out to Apple and seeing if they know of any way to convert these files into one of the supported formats for SoundTouch.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 24, 2019

I tried to download another song after changing the settings, but it imported in the same format (m4p). 

Yes, I did download this music as part of an Apple Music subscription.  I have sent an email to Apple, but I am not very hopeful at this point that I am going to be able to listen to my music through my Soundtouch speakers. 

Do you have any other suggestions?

Highlighted

@Joe H Music that is downloaded via Apple Music cannot be stored and exported to a local library, this is something that Apple has restricted. This would be why you are encountering the problem. 

Which SoundTouch device do you have? You could potentially stream the tracks to your system via Airplay, or connect your computer via Bluetooth.

I hope this helps! Do let me know if you have any further questions.