Highlighted
Bugsy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 1, 2019

New Mac OS without iTunes

Hi,

when Mac OS Catalina launches soon with iTunes being replaced with Apple Music (albeit with the existing home user library retained) will this continue to work with the SoundTouch speakers and app?

Cheers

16 REPLIES 16
Plasmanut
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Re: New Mac OS without iTunes

Two things might happen here:

1. Bose software team might say (on October 1): huh, look at that, Apple getting rid of iTunes. Let’s schedule this at next month’s meeting. We might want to be talking about that.

2. Bose software team continues to be inept at getting anything to actually work and in 2021, we are 45 pages into this thread still wondering why there’s no support for Apple Music for Mac OS. 

I’m certainly not holding my breath, sad joke aside, that  this transition might actually pave the way for Apple Music support in iOS. 

[Moderator edit]

Bugsy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 1, 2019

I’m hoping a Bose moderator can advise whether I should update to Mac Catalina upon release and iTunes will keep working with SoundTouch, or do I need to hold off.

Hello Bugsy,

Thanks for posting! 

I've reached out to our development team for further information regarding macOS Catalina and the discontinuation of iTunes. 

As soon as we hear back we will be sure to update the Community.

Thank you for patience. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Bugsy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 1, 2019

Many thanks, Charlotte. I look forward to hearing more.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Charlotte_G wrote:

Hello Bugsy,

Thanks for posting! 

I've reached out to our development team for further information regarding macOS Catalina and the discontinuation of iTunes. 

As soon as we hear back we will be sure to update the Community.

Thank you for patience. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

The SoundTouch updater app for macOS needs fixing as well.

noonas
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

This was known for at least 4 months now. Why is this not already resolved ?

RP_Cage
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 8, 2019

So, not just me. This has been broken for several months. Always have to uninstall old SoundTouch app and reinstall from scratch. Not very encouraging...

noonas
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

With Catalina, there is no more XML application support, I believe that the SoundTouch Music server is based on this .. unless you have a NAS service.

hdp29
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 9, 2019

I don't think we'll be getting a fix anytime soon. The SoundTouch system relies entirely on the XML file, which is now obsolete in Mac OS Catalina.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/07/macos-catalina-djs-itunes-xml-file-support/

Apple created the non-XML API for developers five (5!!) years ago but companies have not implemented the new system, despite being warned that the legacy one would be phased out.

In summary: If you want to keep using your SoundTouch speakers, DO NOT UPGRADE Mac OS.