Mar 15, 2019

Re: New Mac OS without iTunes

Seriously looking at the HomePod now...

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

I know it’s a bit premature to say this since Catalina has not yet been released, but this looks like another example of Bose simply not keeping up on the software / firmware side of things. 

I don’t understand how Bose management can be so blind about the tech landscape we live in. You can have the best sound and the the coolest device all you want, but if you can’t mesh with the technology your customer base utilizes, you’re just not going to be successful in the long term. 

Hardly anyone uses their sound systems in the traditional way (speakers wired to the same amp for 20 years). People want devices that will fit their evolving lifestyle. Sonos understands this. Bose doesn’t. 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

Actually macOS Catalina IS released already. So they are at a very minimum 6 months behind but more accurately 5 years behind. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

I have installed macOS Catalina and can advise that the SoundTouch app launches and works for the most part. The iTunes and Windows libraries are greyed out however. This is likely due to the XML support issue discussed in this string. 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

I stand corrected. I was thinking it was being released today (Oct. 10th). Having said this, I think everyone would understand if support for a new OS did not arrive on day 1. Of course, there are many months during which developer betas are available to get ahead of a launch, but maybe that's not realistic seeing as this is Bose after all. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

With XML being taken out of the picture in macOS Catalina and the iTunes library no longer being available to Bose speakers, now would be a good time for Bose to add Apple Music as a service.

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 15, 2019

Having read that Apple gave developers using XML support 5 !! years heads up and after still warning and 6 months heads up if not more of really pulling the plug, I am amazed that Bose did not do this several years ago.

It shows you that they do not really care for this part.