Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 25, 2018

Outdoor Speakers setup

Trying to set up Outdoor speakers and needed advice on what to use. I have a soundtouch 300 and Soundtouch 30 for inside. We are planning to expand to the outside by the pool area - area is fairly large between the house and the pool. Wanted to check on a few things.

1. We believe we might need 3-4 speakers. Is it best to use the Outdoor 251 or 151 on the walls and then one or two freespace 51 in the ground? Or just use the same 251 or 151 throughout?
  2. I understand that we will need a rceiver to connect these outdoor ones. How does that synchronize with the sound touch app? Also is there a way that the internal (soundtouch) and outdoor speakers can all play the same music?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 26, 2016

Re: Outdoor Speakers setup

I can't really speak on which outdoor speakers you would need but as long as your receiver is in range of the WIFI your other Soundtouch Speakers are using all you would need is the Soundtouch Link Adapter.  I have two of these in my Soundtouch environment and they can all play the same music when I want.  

1-ST300, Acoustimas 300, Virtually Invisible 300, 1-Wave IV, 7-ST10, 2-Link, 1-LinkSys WRT1900AC
Highlighted

Hi Manny, 

Many thanks for posting in the Bose Community forum. 

I'm thrilled to hear you are looking to increase the Bose speaker family in your home! Outdoor speakers are a fantastic addition.

All of the speakers you have reference are passive speakers so you will require the SoundTouch SA-5 Amplifier to bring power as well as the ability to synchronize up with the audio being played throughout the home on your SoundTouch 300 and 30 speaker. 

If you head on over to the Bose website in your country, please do a quick search for SA-5 Amplifier to get up to speed with the features and benefits of the product.

In regards to the different speakers you have mentioned, the choice is ultimately up to you and the manner in which you wish to install them. The freespace speakers are great as you can bury them in the ground in the bushes on the perimeter of your property, but if you want to concentrate the audio directionally, the 151 and the 251 are fantastic speakers that can be wall mounted. 

Kind regards

Jeff G

Bose Community

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 25, 2018

Thanks

I went ahead and purchased the 251, the freespace and the SA-5. Just for testing purposes, I connected one freespace speaker to SA-5. Few things I noticed

Once I used the soundtouch to play the music and added my soudtouch-300, the music from the freespace deteriorated.

In addition, I noticed spearking a few times in the connection of the wire to the SA-5. I am using 

AmazonBasics 100ft 16-Gauge Audio Stereo Speaker Wire Cable - 100 Feet

Do I just need to tighten the connection. The speaker wire doesnt have a soldered end but fine wires. Any ideas?

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey Manny, thanks for the update!

Happy to hear that you've invested into the systems. It sounds like there are a few different things that could be going on. 

I'd definitely recommend tightening the wiring - your 16-Gauge audio cabling should be fine for use, the speaker cabling that we provide for the SA-5 is 18-Gauge. 

The audio deterioration may be associated with network compatibility - are you able to stream and playback audio okay through the SoundTouch application to the Freespace speakers at a higher audio quality when playing to just them via the SA-5 amplifier, or does the issue also occur when the SA-5 is grouped with the other SoundTouch systems in your home? Additionally, what music sources are you streaming to the systems during this time?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest,

Andy B

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 25, 2018

Andy, I redid the wiring to ensure that none of the exposed parts touch.

The challenge I am having now is that I can use bluetooth to play the speakers but the soundtouch button on the mobile app is kind of disabled. I am not able to click on it. I was however able to use my soundtouch 300 with my soundtouch button on the mobile app and then add the SA-5 to play musci as well.

Why can't I just use the soundtouch button directly to just play music to the SA-5?

Highlighted

Hello Manny, 

That's great to hear. Hopefully, that connection will not cause any problems from now on. 

Regarding the SoundTouch button with the SA-5, it sounds like this is because the speaker has no memory to play from, from the SoundTouch source. To enable this, play something first from the app and then select the speaker and scroll along to the SA-5. Then in the future when you select to SoundTouch source, it will play from the history. 

If however, the SA-5 is not actually available in the SoundTouch app, let me know and we can explore this further. 

I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 17, 2015

I added the SounoundTouch SA-5 Amplifier and connected two sets of Bose® 151® SE environmental speakers; they are wired!

I now control all four with or without adding my 10, 20, Soundbar, and Clock Radio. All BOSE of course! 

Perfect setup!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 1, 2020

Hi there, I'm having trouble with setting up my Soundtouch SA4 to drive my 151SE environmental speakers for outdoors.  I have my Lifestyle and Soundtouch 10 connected through the app so don't have any wifi issues.

Problem is, I cant get the new SA4 to connect to the app to set up as a new speaker. i get all the way through connecting to naming the speaker and then i get an error 'Can't Connect - something happened and we couldn't add the speaker to your SoundTouch account. please try again later."

i have even created a new account and experience the same problem - I'm getting a bit desperate, help!

Highlighted

Hi Callan, 

Thanks for reaching out, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear that you are unable to connect your SA4 to the SoundTouch app. 

What I would suggest is that you perform a manual update of your SA4. Please follow these instructions on how to perform an update. 

Please let us know if this provides any improvements. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!