Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 10, 2020

Outdoor use of SoundTouch 20 or 10

Hi!

I tried the search but it seems this topic has not been discussed to the fullest extent.

Currently, I am using a SoundTouch setup of ST300 Surround + 9 ST10/ST20/ST30s throughout the house and I am still wondering, if it is really "impossible" to extent to the terrace with this kind of speakers.

Being aware of the fact, that it is not officially recommended to use STs outside due to the weather conditions, I want to ask for known workarounds. The SA-5 is not really an alternative – price level, comparably big speakers for good sound, wiring, etc.

Ideally, I would use a stereo couple of ST10s or a ST20 for the 270 square feet terrace (with roof).
It should be possible to play music on the terrace with the help of a certain cover or even a bag for weather protection?

Would be great to hear your experience.

BR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Outdoor use of SoundTouch 20 or 10

Author Accepted Answer selected by Sabsche

Hi All,

Thanks for your interest in our SoundTouch speakers.

@Sabache, you are correct the SoundTouch 10 and 20 are not designed for outdoor use so this certainly isn't something we would recommend using them for.

The reason we don't recommend using them outdoors or in moist environments is as these are powered speakers, and are not rated to be water-resistant. If they were to suffer any damage from water, this would not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

The Sa-5, located indoors with outdoor speakers attached, is our recommendation for adding outdoor speakers to your SoundTouch ecosystem. As you mention this may be out of your price range, you could look at alternative amplifiers/speakers and use a SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter. you wouldn't be able to have the link adapter outside either but it is an alternative if you can find a suitable set-up.

@Itjunky, given the amount of moisture present in those sorts of environments it likely wouldn't be the best idea to use SoundTouch speakers there. Depending on how you wanted to use the speakers in those areas we do have some that might be more appropriate.

Speakers like the SoundLink Micro are IPX rated to withstand water. The Micro, in particular, is IPX7 rated so it could be a good idea for your bathroom.  Obviously, it would not connect to other SoundTouch speakers in your house, but as I said, what would work for you would depend on how you wanted to use them.

I hope this helps,

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 1, 2016

I don't have an answer to this but I wanted to hop in on this one. I was just getting ready to post a very similar question.

I wanted to put one in the garage and one in the bathroom. Curious how they would handle the moisture and the cold in the garage. I live in Michigan so they can see some extreme winters. 

Author Accepted Answer selected by Sabsche

Hi All,

Thanks for your interest in our SoundTouch speakers.

@Sabache, you are correct the SoundTouch 10 and 20 are not designed for outdoor use so this certainly isn't something we would recommend using them for.

The reason we don't recommend using them outdoors or in moist environments is as these are powered speakers, and are not rated to be water-resistant. If they were to suffer any damage from water, this would not be covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

The Sa-5, located indoors with outdoor speakers attached, is our recommendation for adding outdoor speakers to your SoundTouch ecosystem. As you mention this may be out of your price range, you could look at alternative amplifiers/speakers and use a SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter. you wouldn't be able to have the link adapter outside either but it is an alternative if you can find a suitable set-up.

@Itjunky, given the amount of moisture present in those sorts of environments it likely wouldn't be the best idea to use SoundTouch speakers there. Depending on how you wanted to use the speakers in those areas we do have some that might be more appropriate.

Speakers like the SoundLink Micro are IPX rated to withstand water. The Micro, in particular, is IPX7 rated so it could be a good idea for your bathroom.  Obviously, it would not connect to other SoundTouch speakers in your house, but as I said, what would work for you would depend on how you wanted to use them.

I hope this helps,

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 1, 2018

I’ve had a ST 10 in my bathroom for a couple years and no issues. It’s lived through many foggy showers. 

I think mounting outdoors on a protected porch will be just fine.  Maybe in the very long run you get a shorter lifespan of the product, but that is to be expected.