Ptero
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Playing a CD on Soundtouch from a PC and using the LAN. Is it possible?

Hi,

this is my situation:

- I have a buch of soundtouch connected to my router with Wi-fi.

- I also have a workstation cable-connected to the router.

these are my problems

- How can I play on a single soundtouch a music CD from the workstation's DVD player?

- How can I simultaneously play on all my soundtouch the same CD as above?

20 REPLIES 20
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Playing a CD on Soundtouch from a PC and using the LAN. Is it possible?

Maybe if you install the Bose Soundtouch app on your Windows computer.

Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

1)  Alternative 1 - Download Stream What You Hear for your PCand install it, then run it - http://www.streamwhatyouhear.com - Start playing your CD on the PC using your favorite program  Find the Stream What You Hear icon in the system tray, right click it, select "Stream To" and then chose one of your SoundTouch Speakers.  Now launch the SoundTouch app, select the speaker you just chose and initiate Play All.  You may want to mute the PC as the SoundTouch speakers will be 2-3 seconds behind the PC.  

2) Alternative 2 - Use the SoundTouch app to enable playing of your iTunes library to SoundTouch.  Rip the CD into your iTunes library.  Then use the SoundTouch app to play these tracks as usual.  

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

He/she wants to play CD's to individual and/or multiple Bose speakers.

Highlighted
Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

I am at this moment playing a CD in my computer's DVD drive to one of my SoundTouch speakers using Stream What You Hear  It should work for the orginal poster too.  Anyway, I am trying to help them, so I'd appreciate it if we could at least wait until they've tried it for themself and reported back here on the results before declaring it invalid.  Thanks.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Nobody said it was invalid.  It sounded to me like you were suggesting he download music to a CD when he was just wanting to play a CD.

MikeSoundTouch30III
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Thanks, Marty K!

I was trying to get SoundTouch30iii work just as a normal PC speaker for a month, but my Bluetooth crashed all the time and when it worked, the audio quality was just lousy (BT was not made to transmit sound), there is no point buying Bose and than destroy the sound by BT. Nobody here was able to help and now you just solved it so easily... And the program is really user-friendly, makes SoundTouch a basic PC speaker in two clicks exactly as you state from system tree and works great (set MP3 bitrate transmission in the settings to the highest 320 kbps - just wondering if MP3 is better than PCM/L16 or doesn't much matter which one I choose). The French guy Sebastian Warin who made it is a genius, it's so simple (and made it available as a freeware without ads, really generous)...

It took more than a month to solve this basic issue, can't believe...

MikeSoundTouch30III
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Update: Seems like Stream What You Hear destroys audio quality more than Bluetooth, even if set to the highest 320 kbps mp3 compression of the transmission, cuts whole ranges of sound. Loseless PCM/L16 doesn't stream to SoundTouch, but even if it did I expect would be the same...

So looks like still no proper option for making SoundTouch a basic PC speaker. But I might be just paranoid (audio is of lower volume through SWYH), can someone (Marty or anyone using SWYH) check the audio quality of 320 kbps mp3 stream of SWYH - if you're not a Mozart, it should sound the same as basic WiFi loseless connection (iTunes/WinMediaPlayer library). Does it sound flat and without lower audio ranges or is it just me? And are you somehow able to stream loseless PCM/L16?

Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

I'm trying with both CD's through SWYH and FLAC files (through the SoundTouch App and then the same song through SWYH using WinAmp to compare).  I might not have the most sensitive ear but I don't hear anything obviously wrong with SWYH - it sounds pretty normal to me, not really any noticable loss of fidelity to me.  Do you have a particular song where the difference is more noticable that I could try?  Also, no, I don't think the PCM compression works with SoundTouch.

MikeSoundTouch30III
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Well, PCM doesn't work, unfortunately, as it is loseless. But everything above 192 kbps sounds loseless to most ears (if you're not Mozart), so mp3 with 320 kbps should be more than enough. I think I found the problem on one of SWYH English forums - you're probably using desktop computer, I have an ultrabook with especially lousy speakers. Some guy had a similar problem with laptop alike, seems like the SWYH is picking up sound for streaming in the last part of "audio journey" right before it arrives to speakers. As those are just horrible in laptops (even smartphones might have better ones), the audio drivers are not making wasteful effort of sending them the full-quality audio, but degrade it just to the level that those bad speakers are able to play (guess it saves some processing power). It has to do it in this last phase, as there are many programs and equalizers creating sound on its way, so the SWYH waits until whole desktop audio output (final sound-mix) is baked and finished to be served.

Some other guys have already found solutions in sending the sound to VLC and one even wrote that putting headphones into laptop headphone port forced the system to process full-quality audio for headphones and just plugging them in made the sound coming from speakers through SWYH suddenly top-notch. Unfortunately, my ultrabook is few years old and USB and headphones ports have already retired, so couldn't checked that out. But seems like functionality of SWYH depends upon type of PC you are using and in case of laptop on audio drivers or other tricks to force the system not to be lazy and process full-range audio (by VLC or filling headphones port). SWYH clones the computer sound (so if you don't mute PC, it doubles) and if that sucks, the SoundTouch will suck alike.

It's also good to know that SWYH is not made for watching video or chatting, as there is a 2-3 seconds audio delay, so it's only good for listening music or radio. But that would be more than enough for me, if it wasn't for that broken headphone port, so still no high-audio-quality alternative to that horrible Bluetooth in making SoundTouch a basic PC speaker.

Could someone try out SWYH on laptop or ultrabook and share experience with audio quality or if that "filled-headphone-port-trick" works in case laptop had the audio quality issue?