Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Re: Playing a CD on Soundtouch from a PC and using the LAN. Is it possible?

Yes, I am using a desktop computer for this.  I have a Microsoft Surface Pro that I can try with later today.  I'll report results back here.

Ptero
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Dear All,

I thank you very much for all the suggestions. I am really surprised that Bose did not devise some kind of support for cd players (or PC) over the Lan. As far as I understand the only good option is to connect the soundtouch using a normal audio cable. It is pretty obvious that BT is not an option for three reasons: (1) my workstation does not have an embedded BT, (2) even if I install a BT card, it will not be able to reach the speakers in the other rooms, (3) BT audio quality is much worse than the quality theoretically possible using the LAN.

It would be wonderfull to stream directly from the audio card to the speaker through the LAN... I'll try SWYH but the described 2 second delay makes it useless for movies or gaming.

Highlighted
Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

@MikeSoundTouch30III - so just tried it on my Surface.  At first sound was terrible but I discovered that sound card settings had Dolby sound turned on.  Turned that off and it sounded correct.  Could not check plugging headphones in because when headphones are plugged in it didn't seem to send the sound through SWYH.  

MikeSoundTouch30III
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

To Ptero: AUX is as good as loseless LAN as long as you connect it to the LINE OUT in the source, headphones port degrades the sound, even if maybe not as much as BT. So it's probably the only option, but there is usually no line out in laptops, so still no option for making SoundTouch universal loselees laptop speaker. USB audio connection would easily solve all the problems, it's digital and plug'n'play user friendly, can't believe Bose didn't include it in SoundTouch.

To Marty: In that case Dolby probably causes it. That might also have been the case of people from SWYH forum having the issue and plugging headphones into headphones port could just automatically turn off Dolby in the driver settings (functionality of SWYH with headphones plugged in might depend upon a type of laptop or its audio drivers, the guy said it worked with his and fixed the sound). I think Dolby might be the culprit, you even caught it red-handed. Case disclosed...

NeonsNight
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

It might be a lot simpler to use a SoundLink Adapter and have it rebroadcast the AUX input to other SoundTouch speakers.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/smart_home/soundtouch-adapter.html

Ptero
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

Dear MikeSoundTouch30III,

I appreciate your effort but my main need is exactely to avoid the use of wires. My workstation is wired to the router but the various Soundtouchs are connected to the Wifi. I am looking for a way to link the speakers to my workstation without using 30 meters of sound cables connected to the aux ports.

To NeonsNight: ja, your suggestion is probably the only option. Having already spent thousands euros on spekers that are supposed to be "intelligent" and "connected", it is a bit annoying be in the need of buying an other device. In my case it would be far more convenient if such a device could be installed inside the case of my workstation, like any other kind card (video, sound, wi-fi, and so on...)

MikeSoundTouch30III
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Well, in that case you have just run out of options. I didn't propose it as the solution, as I also avoid cables, just pointed out that AUX is the last man standing. And you just shot the poor guy...

MikeSoundTouch30III
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

I can't edit my older post in new version of forum and have to write new one if I want to add/change/specify/correct something? Bring back that option, Bose, that's inconvenient...

Just wanted to add that many people don't count Bluetooth as a connectivity option (that's probably the reason why you don't find it in better sounding Sonos Play wireless speakers), even if it had the more advanced AptX codec (that Bose doesn't). I only use BT for talk radio and video, but if you want to transmit music through it, in that case you can save "thousands euros" for Bose and will do with Logitech PC speakers for 30 bucks...

Ptero
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 3, 2017

I agree with you! BT is not an option! In fact I was looking for a way to take advantage of my gigabit Lan to broadcast from my workstation to the speakers. As far as I understand no option is available to me. You are right, I probably made a mistake buying these speakers. Too bad that the time given by Amazon to send them back and get refunded is already expired. Maybe Sonos would had been a much better choice.

MikeSoundTouch30III
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

I'm also switching to Sonos or B&W Zeppelin Wireless (love that dinosaur egg, which also seems to have better sound), but for more substantial reasons:

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/No-substantial-difference-between-SoundTouch-20-an...

I actually liked the Bose App that so many people criticize, integrating Windows media library and playing it straight away, Sonos can only play mp3s from iTunes media library and Zeppelin not even that (but is able to stream iTunes on PC through AirPlay). Also a traditional remote is a great bonus that only Bose has, just don't think SoundTouch 30 is offering the hardware level of its price range (still waiting in that other forum for some defense arguments on part of ST30, but Bose people keep silent, which implies something...). Already got rid of ST30, you're lucky it still has pretty high resale value, guess have to change my nick to MikeZeppelin (or MikeTheDinosaurEgg)...