Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 17, 2017

Private Music Library

Why has my SoundTouch Win10 app suddenly decided it can't access the music folder stored on the Win10 machine? It has worked fine for a very long time!

I have tried all the obvious fixes. Delete & reinstall. Latest Win10 OS updates, Latest SoundTouch Win10 app updates etc. etc. Nothing brings it back to life.

Advice please.

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 17, 2017

Re: Private Music Library

To be clear: I do not use iTunes. This is using the Windows Media Player database.

Thanks

Highlighted

Hi WillFox,

I'm sorry to hear you have started having trouble with your Windows Media Player Library and I would be happy to help you get it back up and running again.

So I know, at what point are you unable to access the library? Is this when accessing the library as a whole from the SoundTouch app or at another point when trying to play from it?

Also, when you try and access the music library does it give you any error codes at all?

Just to clarify as well, when you say you have deleted and reinstalled as a troubleshooting step, was this the SoundTouch app, the music library or Windows Media Player that you uninstalled?

Let me know so I can help you get this resolved.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 17, 2017

Hi Keith and thanks for picking this up. Here is a bit more information:...

I get the failure as soon as I choose to play from my own music, so I cannot get into it at all. The message says: "HMM... Looks like your music library isn't available right now. Please try again in a few seconds. (6304)".

I have tried again in a few seconds, hours, days, weeks. Always the same message.

I have uninstalled the Win10 Soundtouch app and re installed it a couple of times.

I have deleted the entire music library and re-loaded it from backup. Each time I do that I make sure WMP is completely empty before I reload the data. I then make sure it is completely updated.

WMP plays all songs (well as many as I've tried) with no problem. Shows all albums, tracks and artwork.

I have other apps that will play music locally on the Win10 machine.  All work fine.

I have moved the music database into the cloud (OneDrive) and tried it from there. I have moved it back to the local disk and tried again.

Always the same error.

I have not uninstalled and reinstalled WMP. Is that possible (part of the OS?) or necessary?

Please advise.

Thanks

Will

Highlighted

Hi Will,

Thanks for the update, you've given me a lot of really useful information to work with there. The troubleshooting you have done already is a great start as well so thank you for doing that and letting me know! 

I don't think it will be necessary to uninstall WMP for this From my experience, if the troubleshooting you have done already hasn't fixed it, this will usually be network or firewall related.

Do you have any anti-virus or firewall software running on your computer or router? If so it would definitely be worth pausing or turning this off briefly to see if you are able to access the music library without it. If you can at that point you would need to add an exception to the firewall for SoundTouch before turning it back on. Windows Defender is the default firewall on Windows computers and can sometimes block the SoundTouch app.

Let me know how you get on with this!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 17, 2017

Hi Keith,

I have checked the virus protection and firewall. SoundTouch App and SoundTouch Music Server Exe are already allowed to pass. However to be sure I turned off the firewall and virus checker and tried the Soundtouch Win10 app. No different. Still not working.

What's next?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hey Will,

Thank you for trying that! Sorry things haven't yet improved.

Would you be able to reboot your WiFi router? Simply unplug it from power and leave it for two minutes before reconnecting.

Also, attempt a reset for your speaker, by also unplugging it from power for two minutes before reconnecting. Please let me know how things go!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 17, 2017

Hi Keith and thanks for the advice so far.

A bit more information for you. I have 2 SoundTouch 10 speakers connected to the LAN by WiFi. Also I have the SA-5 amplifier, driving a pair of stereo slave speakers, connected to the LAN by ethernet.

The suggestions you make I have already done several times but worth trying again. I switched off the hub and the all the speakers. Then hub on first and wait for the internet to stabilize. Then turn on the speakers.

No change! Still can't see the music database.  WMP continues to work fine.

There's not much else to try!!!!

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 17, 2017

Just gone through the whole process again and tried the SoundTouch Win10 app after each speaker is turned on individually. No different!!!

Highlighted

Thank you for your continued efforts, Will.

I wanted to clarify, have you removed the library itself from the SoundTouch app, as shown HERE?

There's a possibility the database file could have corrupted. Therefore, try the following steps before adding the library back to the SoundTouch app:

1. Close the SoundTouch app
  2. In Windows search / Cortana (Windows Key + S), type %appdata%
  3. Open the "SoundTouchPersist" folder
  4. Delete the "SoundTouch Music Server" folder
  5. Re-open the SoundTouch app

Please let me know how you get on!