Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

Problem playing Amazon Music on Bose SoundTouch

I recently noticed that I can't play Amazon Music on my SoundTouch speakers by selecting a preset or via the Bose SoundTouch App, although it does work through Alexa. If I say "Alexa play Christmas music" it plays. Presets from other sources "InTune" work fine.

If I press a preset I do see it connect to Amazon In the SoundTouch App and see the artist, song title, etc... but the progress bar doesn't move and there's no sound.

I've updated all of my speakers and app to the latest versions, powered off/on, and removed my Amazon account from the SoundTouch App and added it back, all of which had no effect.

Anyone else having issues? Any other suggestions. 

I'll also add, that I've tested with a few speakers (SoundTouch 10's, SoundTouch 20's), and get the same results with each.

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Problem playing Amazon Music on Bose SoundTouch

Hi Rseward,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community!

It looks as if you have tried some great troubleshooting steps! Thank you for this!

I would recommend removing the Amazon Music service as you have already (through settings < Music Services > Remove), then deleting the application, reinstalling and trying to add the service. If this is still unsuccessful, I would recommend resetting your router. This can be done by unplugging it for 30 seconds and plugging it back in.

I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on!

Kindest,

Jessie O – Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

Thank you for the suggested troubleshooting, I tried this plus some additional steps and have the same results.

Here’s where I’m at.... on my SoundTouch 10, 20, and 30 I can’t stream from Amazon or SiriusXM, but it works on my SoundTouch Wave Radio. Also, if I start playing from Amazon or SiriusXM on the Wave, I can group the 10, 20, & 30 and they will play, but I have to start the stream on the wave.

InTune works fine on all the speakers and I wasn’t able to test Spotify because I don’t have a “premium” account.

In addition to the steps you suggest, I also removed the speakers, reset them and added them back, and the results where the same.

On one or two occasions, I was able to stream Amazon briefly after waiting several minutes, but then it stopped.

The display on the 20 & 30 shows the artist, title etc... but would just have a spinning circle at the top (loading) and no sound. I’d also see the song information in the app, and noticed that it would change songs after about 30 sec, to a min of trying to play. After changing songs 3 or 4 times it would pop up with a message from the app like “hum... something went wrong” or something like that.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

I wanted to add that I also confirmed all speakers at connected to the same WiFi network at 2.4 GHz and each has a signal strength of “Good” or “Great”, with the exception of the Wave (the only one that works) which is “Fair”. Also all speakers including the Wave are using software version 23.0.12 and the App version is 23.0.4.

I have another SoundTouch 10 and 20 that have been offline for a while and likely have an older software version. I’ll plug them in tonight and try them. At this point I’m guessing it’s a problem with the 23.0.12 software release.

Highlighted

Hello Rseward, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

It would be really interesting to know if anything has changed in terms of software recently? Have there been any new extenders, routers, child protection software or anything like that added?

My best advice here would be to call us and talk this through. Our phone agents have the ability to remotely look into your system (with your permission) to get a better understanding of your set up. It may then be easier to diagnose the problem and come to a resolution quicker. You can do reach the team, by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us.

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

To the best of my knowledge (which is pretty extensive... I'm a network administrator by trade), nothing has changed other than updates to the software on the speakers them selves and the app. I've had the same router/firewall and ISP in place since 2017.

I believe when I connect the speakers that I have stored away (SoundTouch 10 & 20), which have older software, it should either prove or disprove that the issues is with the speakers/software.

I'll report back on that this evening.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

I pulled out the SoundTouch 20 and 10 that were out of service... The 20 had already been updated to 23.0.12 and it acted the same as the others. The SoundTouch 10 was version 19.0.5 and it worked fine with Amazon, SiriusXM and TuneIn when I selected a programmed preset button from each. I couldn't test through the app because when I'd launch the app it wanted to force me to update the speaker.

So here's my status:

SoundTouch 300 Soundbar ver. 23.0.12 only TuneIn will stream

SoundTouch 10 ver. 23.0.12 only TuneIn will stream

SoundTouch 10 ver. 19.0.5 all services stream without issue.

SoundTouch 20 ver. 23.0.12 only TuneIn will stream

SoundTouch 20 ver. 23.0.12 only TuneIn will stream

SoundTouch 30 ver. 23.0.12 only TuneIn will stream

Wave SoundTouch Music System III ver. 23.0.12 all services stream without issue.

One thing I found interesting about the Wave is that it indicates "SoundTouch Controller Not Connected" in the "about" menu. Not sure what that's referring to?

At this point I'm convinced the issue is related to the 23.0.12 software. Is there anyway to roll them back?

I'll try to contact support later and see how it goes.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

I contacted support (as recommended) and after 1 1/2hrs of troubleshooting I’m no better off. In fact it’s worse, because the support person insisted I update the one speaker that was working and now it does not work.

They’ve escalated the issue to another group and said I should hear from them in about 5 days. I’ll report back once I hear from them.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@rseward @Wrote:

I recently noticed that I can't play Amazon Music on my SoundTouch speakers by selecting a preset or via the Bose SoundTouch App, although it does work through Alexa. If I say "Alexa play Christmas music" it plays. Presets from other sources "InTune" work fine.

Seems Amazon music is still not available on Bose speakers (SoundTouch or Bose Home) in Canada, however Alexa will play music from Amazon playlists when asked to play Christmas Music. I found this puzzling.

After a little looking around it appears Amazon playlists are available through Tunein. Alexa is likely pulling from those playlists. I also listen to a channel called That Christmas Channel on Tunein. This channel is “powered by live365”...go figure.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 27, 2017

Well, it turned out that the speaker that could play via Alexa was the Wave which is working. 

My SoundTouch 300, 30, 20's, and 10's won't stream Amazon or Sirius XM.

Basically, I've confirmed that the problem is with the 23.0.12 software update.... I had one SoundTouch 10 on software version 19.0.5 and everything worked fine, updated it to 23.0.12 and it began having the exact same problem as the other speakers that are on 23.0.12. So it's clear to me that the issues is related to that software.

I'm waiting for Bose to support to get back to me and will report back.