JDRcity
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 23, 2019

Remote not fully functional

I just purchased the Sound Touch 300. The universal remote only partially works. Beginning with the Cable box: It is a Cisco 435 model through VZ Fios. The Bose remote will turn it on and access the guide and settings menu, but will NOT access the TV menu (for OnDemand access), and the DVR button on the remote doesn't work either. 

Similarly, the Bose remote will turn on my LG TV and access the settings menu, but the Home button does not work, and that is where the streaming apps are located. 

Please help! 

2 REPLIES 2
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

Re: Remote not fully functional

Hello JDRcity,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community!

I am sorry to hear about the issue you are experiencing with the Universal remote.

I would like to get some more information on the setup you have at home. How are you connecting the Soundtouch 300 to the TV, is it via the HDMI connection or the Optical connection?

Does the original remote work with the TV? Additionally, have you ever had a third party remote to control your TV?

I would also like to check the Soundbar or any other device is not blocking the IR sensors on the TV.

Lastly, I encourage you to perform a reset on your TV by disconnecting it from power and reconnecting it back again after 60 seconds the attempt pairing the remote to the tv again.

Kind regards,

Prince O

Highlighted
Rock Dancing
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 31, 2017

Re: Remote not fully functional

I also have an LG Smart TV and found that the ST300 “Universal” remote is not universal when it comes to the Smart functions.  The Bose remote works except that the button to access streaming apps was never mapped.  I’ve been following the Bose forums a long time and remember searching for this myself, and these are the answers you’ll find if you dig deep into the forum archives. (It appears to me that the new mods don’t read these forums as part of their training):

First, make sure you try moving through all the sub-codes:

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Soundtouch-300-Remote-Home-App-button-does-not-work...

And try out all the remote buttons, especially the colored ones, that may be used in-place of the obvious “Home” key)

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Soundtouch-300-Remote-open-Home-Screen-TV/m-p/63991...

Otherwise, yeah, we’re stuck juggling remotes or buying a real universal remote. I wouldn’t have been so frustrated with this if it was mentioned somewhere in the advertising/ literature or more prominently on the Bose website not to expect smart TV functions to be included.  Considering we bought the ST300 years after the smart TV purchase, I didn’t think this was an unreasonable expectation, but here’s the official “Sorry” from Bose:

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/BOSE-Remote-with-LG-Smart-TV/m-p/17402?collapse_dis...

And from what I can tell, it’s not something they could ever update via firmware, which is why I never submitted it here as a feature request.  If I'm wrong about that possibility, please add this to my list of feature requests.