Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

ST 300 wont play sound when using netflix when using hdmi arc but will with optical

Hi everyone.

My soundtouch 300 soundbar works with my optical cable on all channels and smart tv apps but when I use the hdmi arc the sound only plays when using the tv or youtube but when I use the netflix tv app it plays no sound ? I wanted to swap to the hdmi arc as with the optical cable I have to use the bose remote to control the sound rather than the tv remote which is nicer

Thanks

Craig

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: ST 300 wont play sound when using netflix when using hdmi arc but will with optical

Make sure you don't have Netflix trying to use some audio setting that your Bose Soundtouch 300 does not support.  You can use Dolby Digital 5.1, but not higher.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: ST 300 wont play sound when using netflix when using hdmi arc but will with optical

@Craigrose wrote:

Hi everyone.

My soundtouch 300 soundbar works with my optical cable on all channels and smart tv apps but when I use the hdmi arc the sound only plays when using the tv or youtube but when I use the netflix tv app it plays no sound ? I wanted to swap to the hdmi arc as with the optical cable I have to use the bose remote to control the sound rather than the tv remote which is nicer

Thanks

Craig

Do you have the Netflix high quality account option?

Check the settings on your TV audio card. You are looking for Auto or DD5.1

TV Optical output offers no guarantee of hi def output. Older tv optical sound cards could only produce LPCM 2.0.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

Sorry your going to have to dumb this down for me I have no idea what you are talking about.

Yes I have the best netflix option. 

I don't even know what a sound card is ? But these are the audio specs for my tv I just copied online....

Audio

• Dolby Digital PlusYes
  • DTS CodecN/A
  • Dialog EnhancementYes
  • Audio Pre-selection DescriptorYes
  • Sound Output (RMS)20W
  • Speaker Type2CH
  • WooferN/A
  • Multiroom LinkYes
  • Bluetooth AudioYes

Optical isn't the problem it works fine with optical its using the hdmi arc that the sound doesnt work for netflix ?

Highlighted

Hi Craigrose, 

Thank you for your post!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with audio when watching Netflix.

Have you tried an HDMI reset? You can do this by unplugging both your TV and your SoundTouch 300 from power for 30 seconds. Plugging in just the soundbar then select the TV source on the remote control. Once complete, plug in the TV again. 

Let me know how it goes! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Sorry about the extra jargon.

A sound card is the plug is device that controls the audio features of your tv.

These flat screens are just computers with a lot of inputs and outputs. There are sound cards, video cards and such that make everything work.

I only mentioned optical because while the connection is pretty easy and reliable, depending on the age of the TV, optical may only give you what amounts to stereo.

Another feature Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) works to help bring devices in line with the TV. Control can be done by a single remote.

HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC)  is how you get sound between your tv and your speaker over higher quality HDMI cables. The signal has more  channel capacity than stereo and is better sounding.

I suspect your problem may be related to how your TV sends audio to your speaker through the Audio Return Channel.

The HDMI cable actually handshakes with the devices. Make sure CEC is turned on both the speaker and tv. You may need to do a reset or handshake to get the devices talking. That procedure is explained in this string.

Getting the sound over HDMI is better than optical plus you get the added feature of unifying control of your devices.

Hope this helps.