SiriusXM cutting out on playback

Animated Arbiter

SiriusXM cutting out on playback

For the last two days SiriusXM has been cutting out on playback pretty badly, every few seconds, then stopping entirely after about 20 minutes, and the speaker shuts off it seems.  Not just one speaker, but on all of my speakers, the same behavior is seen.  This only happens on my Bose Soundtouch (10's and 20's).  I can stream Sirius from my Mac to my HomePod, same channels, no problems, streaming directly from my Sirius app on my phone via Bluetooth to the SoundTouch speakers also seems to work fine.

When the Bose cuts out on Sirius, when played via the app, I don't see the orange LED - no flashing lights at all, the WiFi and Soundtouch LED's stay white.  I originally thought it was my wi-fi network, but no other device on on my wi-fi cuts out when Sirius is played - but Sirius is streamed directly and not via an app.

Not sure if this is happening to anyone else?  I've reset all the speakers but it seems to be getting worse as of this morning, cutting out on playback every few seconds.  Seems to be Bose app specific.  I've hit this type of problem on the Bose before but was getting the orange LED when playback would just stop, that was many months ago.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: SiriusXM cutting out on playback

Hi @jerake75 ,

Thank you for taking the time to post.

I'm sorry to hear of the continued issues that you've been having here and would be happy to see what can be done for you.

I can see that you've already reset the speakers, so to start with, can I ask that you perform the following for me if you have not already done so?

1) Factory reset your speaker, and then reconnect this to the network. The speaker can be reset to its factory defaults by simultaneously pressing and holding the "1" and "-Vol" buttons for 10 seconds. For the SoundTouch 10, after the first few seconds all the LED's should turn solid white, and after the full 10 seconds all of the LED's will start blinking white. When these blink white, this is your cue to release both buttons, and allow this to reset.

As for the SoundTouch 20, you should see a Countdown from 10 when you hold both buttons. when this reaches 0, this will begin to reset, and you can release both buttons.

After around 1-2 minutes these should fully reset, and display a solid amber LED for Wi-Fi (far left indicator on the SoundTouch 10). From here, please go to the SoundTouch app, navigate to "Settings" followed by "Add/Reconnect Speaker" , and add the speakers back into the app. Once added back in, please re-test the SiriusXM source.

2) If there is more than 1 Wi-Fi network being used, or if any extenders/access points are being used, please connect the phone and the SoundTouch devices to this same network. If this is not possible, or if there is only a single network being used, please connect the systems to your router via Ethernet cable(s) and test the source again!

If you have tried both of the above, can I ask that you perform the below and get back to me to let me know what happens?

1) Please test these speakers with the Tune-In Wi-Fi source, to see if this has the same issues as when you are using the SiriusXM source.

2) Is there any difference in audio quality if you are using these speakers separately, or if these are being used within a group with one another?

3) If you perform a reset of your Wi-Fi Router itself, by disconnecting this from power, waiting 1-2 minutes, then reconnecting this to power, this will refresh all the connections. Do these speakers automatically reconnect to the router within the next 3-5 minutes, or do they require you to manually pair these back up?

I look forward to hearing from you when possible, and please let me know if you have any questions about the above!

Liam W - Community Support

Animated Arbiter

Hi Liam:

Thanks for the response.

1) Factory reset your speaker, and then reconnect this to the network --> I will try this tomorrow morning, but the playback issues reported occur on all of my Bose Soundtouch speakers.

2) If there is more than 1 Wi-Fi network being used, or if any extenders/access points are being used, please connect the phone and the SoundTouch devices to this same network. --> I have an Orbi Mesh; there is a 2.4 and 5ghz band in use, but the only devices on 2.4 are my Sonos systems.  My phone and all SoundTouch speakers are on the 5ghz band.  I do have two satellites plus my Orbi Router; I did disconnect all the satellites to force all devices to my main Orbi Router, but the same playback issues persist.

For your other questions:

1) Please test these speakers with the Tune-In Wi-Fi source, to see if this has the same issues as when you are using the SiriusXM source.

--> Tested, no issues whatsoever with my usual station.

2) Is there any difference in audio quality if you are using these speakers separately, or if these are being used within a group with one another? 

--> Nope, happens on all/any speaker when used individually, and I rarely group them together since the infamous "Play All" issue that happened last year, don't trust it.

3) If you perform a reset of your Wi-Fi Router itself, by disconnecting this from power, waiting 1-2 minutes, then reconnecting this to power, this will refresh all the connections. Do these speakers automatically reconnect to the router within the next 3-5 minutes, or do they require you to manually pair these back up?

--> They automatically connect and all are found by the SoundTouch app within 3-5 minutes.

At this point, this may not be a Bose issue I suspect - I was listening to SiriusXM on my phone via bluetooth at work today for several hours (common) and experienced the same odd playback issues that I heard on my speakers - cutting out, and almost as if the stream is fast-forwarding, jumping to different songs.  It was fine for several hours, then suddenly would cut out four, five times in a row, then silence for almost a minute...then fast-forward.

For now I'll chalk it up to this being a Sirius issue since it happened on a totally different wi-fi network, not using a SoundTouch.

Highlighted

Hello Jerake75, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

If you need any help in the future please do not hesitate to let us know. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W