Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

Sound touch Wave 4

I have just purchased this Wave IV system and want to connect a portable Bose speaker but am told that the new systems are not compatible with the older Sound touch (even though they are still sold as new). Used to be able to buy a soundtouch 10 / 20 but no longer available here. Can someone suggest a solution or options please. Would like to have speakers in other rooms in the house playing music from the wave IV.

Cheers Phil

Bose product name

Sound touch wave IV

Country New Zealand

Firmware Version

(1.0.7, 4.8.1, 1.7.0, etc.)

App Version

(4.1.1, 13.0.2, etc.)

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

(Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in?

(noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted

Re: Sound touch Wave 4

Hi Phil,

I'll gladly do what I can to help!

You can use the Bose SimpleSync feature in order to pair your two products. The SimpleSync feature is available for any Bose smart speaker or soundbar that you have added to the Bose Music app. It lets you connect a single pair of Bluetooth® headphones or a single speaker or soundbar to play along with your Bose smart speaker. While many Bluetooth speakers and headphones can connect via SimpleSync, many Bose products are optimized to play sound in sync with your Bose smart speaker.

To use this feature, please follow this link for instruction. 

As this is a Bluetooth connection, you do need to ensure that your speakers and device are within the 10m Bluetooth range, so this is not the best solution for a Multiroom experience. 

To get around this, if you use Alexa, SoundTouch speakers can be recognized by Alexa by opening the Alexa app and linking your Bose account. By linking accounts, you can control your Bose smart speakers and/or SoundTouch speakers using your voice with an Amazon Alexa device, like an Echo, Echo Dot, or a Bose smart speaker.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any further questions. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

thank you but unfortunately the Bose app does not recognize the wave speaker. Also not a speaker listed in the Simplesync list.

do you have an alternative solution.

slightly disappointed that I have just purchased this speaker and am having problems. Not impressed with lack of response from reseller that should have advertised this was an end of production product that will not work with anything else available on the market (in contrast to what the product info says about the product on everyone’s websites)

I look forward to your response and a resolution 

Regards Phil

Highlighted

Hey Phil, 

Thank you for coming back to us! 

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some trouble with the application, will you be able to let me know the issue you are experiencing? This way I might be able to help you. 

I look forward to hearing from you!  

New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

Hey there,

thanks for the reply but problem is still the same. Copy of 1st post below. What speakers will connect with the Wave IV and what app would one use to do this please? I have tried the  suggested option but it does not work with Wave IV system.

Cheers Phil 

I have just purchased this Wave IV system and want to connect a portable Bose speaker but am told that the new systems are not compatible with the older Sound touch (even though they are still sold as new). Used to be able to buy a soundtouch 10 / 20 but no longer available here. Can someone suggest a solution or options please. Would like to have speakers in other rooms in the house playing music from the wave IV.

Highlighted

Hi Phil, 

If you're using the Wave IV alone (without the SoundTouch pedestal), it does not support Bluetooth streaming. Your only source options are CD, Radio or AUX

If you have the Wave SoundTouch IV (with the SoundTouch pedestal), then it is compatible with grouping to other SoundTouch speakers, e.g SoundTouch 10, 20, 30, Portable I & II, SA-5 etc. The pedestal also features Bluetooth in the form of a receiver, not a transmitter, which means you can receive Bluetooth audio from other devices (like a smartphone/tablet), but you cannot stream a Bluetooth signal out from the Wave to other devices.

As far as other Bluetooth speakers go, you are not going to be able to directly pair a Bluetooth speaker to the Wave system. This is not a feature of the product. 

I hope this answers your query. 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

Thanks but I have the Wave SoundTouch IV (with the SoundTouch pedestal) and the Bose music app does not recognise it. (as was previously suggested)

Please suggest specifically which portable speakers I can pair with the wave and what app will control them as I have done some research and all posts I've read say nothing is compatible.

I cannot get a soundtouch 10 as they are no longer made or imported here.

I repeat that this piece of hardware (waveIV) is not fit for purpose because it is advertised as something it is not. I have only owned it for 2 weeks. Bose have mislead everyone by saying these things will talk to each other.

I look forward to a reply that actually answers my question or proving what I think is incorrect.

Cheers Phil

Cheers 

Highlighted

Hey Phil,

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble connecting your Wave system to the internet. To confirm, the Wave system you have connects to the SoundTouch app. What color is the LED showing on the back of the pedestal? Follow the steps HERE to connect to the SoundTouch app.

In regards to connecting portable speakers to the Wave, it will depend on what portable speaker you're referring to. Most of the Bluetooth only portable speakers will not be compatible to connect to the Wave at all. The Portable Home Speaker (WiFi and Bluetooth), can be connected to the Bose Music app, and then you can connect the Wave using the SimpleSync feature. Apologies if any of this feels repetitive, but let us know what speaker you're looking to connect with, just so we can confirm whether it's possible.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

Thank you,

Please read my emails.

I am not having any of the problems you mention.

I have connected the Wave to the internet and have it working through the soundtouch app.

I want to add a portable speaker so I can have it playing the same music (lets say a CD because this music source is specific to the wave) in another room or outside.

The info Bose provided says I need 2 different apps to control either system but somehow the simplesync feature allows the adding of the wave to the newer system.

Only that the wave is not listed in the list of speakers that will connect this way (off your website).

To reiterate;

Can you please explain what speaker (portable) will work with the wave and how do I control / manage it? If I sound confused it is because what has been suggested does not work.

Try again please.

Cheers Phil

Highlighted

Not a problem, Phil. I'd be happy to clear things up!

From what you've described regarding plans of playing CD audio to another speaker, I can confirm that this will not be possible. The only audio source that can be streamed across multiple devices is Bluetooth audio or WiFi music services from within the Bose app.

If you did go the SoundTouch route, the only possible speaker that would be able to connect and be portable is the SoundTouch portable speaker, which we no longer retail. Therefore, you'd have to get hold of this through a third-party retailer. If you did get hold, you would connect this speaker to the SoundTouch app through WiFi, and then group play the Wave and ST Portable together.

If you went the route of SimpleSync in the Bose Music app, then the only portable speaker is the Portable Home Speaker. But you have to use the Portable Home Speaker as the source of audio streaming, which then relays the audio to your Wave (acting as the Bluetooth device) using SimpleSync. However, this means the Wave will need to be within 33ft of the PHS.

Therefore, it's unlikely that you'll be able to achieve what you're looking to do. I hope this made sense, but let me know if there is anything further you'd like me to clarify!