Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2020

SoundLink Air Wi-Fi Setup Application

Hi

I have a Mac OS Catalina Version 10.15.2

Unfortunately I can not install your Software Soundlink Air Wifi Setup Application. Do you have an update???  

www.bose.com/wifi ( for Mac does not working....)

Redards Marc 

16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: SoundLink Air Wi-Fi Setup Application

Hi @Zimi,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry to learn of the troubles you're facing setting up the SoundLink Air Music System and I'll be happy to assist you.

Were you able to try the website https://www.bose.com/wifisetup? This will take you where you can download the WiFi Setup application.

If you find this does not work, I'd attempt the alternate set up method, which is shown in the steps below:

1. On the back of your product, disconnect the power cord and any connected cables
  2. Reconnect power, then wait 30 seconds
  3. On the bottom of the product, press and hold the Reset button for about two seconds until the Wi-Fi light is solid amber
  4. Wait about 30 seconds
  5. On a computer or mobile device, go to the Wi-Fi settings and connect to BoseSoundLink Air Network
  6. Open a web browser and go to http://192.168.1.1
  7. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Give that a try and let me know if you have any success!

Warm regards,

Sam F - Community Support

[Updated]

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 30, 2020

Hi

I am sorry the steps you mentioned in the below reply didn`t work for me.. please help. I am unable to set up my bose speaker.

I am using MAC OS Catalina version 10.15.3

Highlighted

Hello Subhadip1, 

Thanks for joining the discussion. 

I'm sorry to hear the steps outlined by Sam did not help. Can you please confirm which part of the steps did not work? 

Kind regards,

Jeff G 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 14, 2020

Hi, 

I am having the same problem. I have Mac Catalina and I haven't been able to install the package using the given link. 

I also tried the alternate method but even though I reset my Bose and get the Wi Fi signal amber, it does not make any sound after that, nor can't I find Bose Soundlink Network on my WiFi settings. 

Highlighted

Hey @valentinajhhjj,

I'm sorry to hear you're also experiencing this problem. 

What you may want to try is a factory reset of your system, which will put your system back in a default state. That's been a help to myself in the past when I've encountered a system refusing to go into the correct setup mode.

To go about this, try the steps HERE. After this, let me know if the alternate method listed above works for you!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Bose Support

Like many others on the forum, our speakers have stopped connecting to the wifi due to router upgrades etc.

1. When I turn my speaker on the blue light flashes

2. I do the recommended wifi set-up by using the USB and the application says it cannot connect to speaker so try and turn it on and off again.

3. I have also tried the soundlink wifi setup by pressing reset and letting the amber light come on, it never flashes or makes a sound so there is no wifi to connect to on mobile phone or laptop to then do the IP address set-up process.

Given the above it is clear that the wifi application on the speaker has stopped working due to broadband providers updating software. I read that it could be a faulty wifi module that costs c£150 to replace but clearly Bose cannot have such a failure rate?

Please advise.

Highlighted

Hey Raks1973, 

So sorry that this is not working for you. Let’s see if we can get this sorted. I note that you said that you have updated your WiFi router. If the network name or password contains non-alphanumeric characters we will need to download the latest version of the Wi-Fi Setup Application located at www.Bose.com/wifisetup as some early versions of the application were not able to accept the entry of special characters (~!@#$%^&)< or >.

Are you aware of any additional safety features have been added to your network? If MAC filtering has been enabled, the MAC address of the SoundLink Air will need to be added to the list of devices that are allowed to connect to the network. On Apple routers, such as the AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express and Time Capsule, the Airport utility refers to MAC filtering as "access control” - to avoid confusion with the term Mac computer. Also, check for DHCP Leasing. It limits the amount of a time a device can connect to the network. When enabled, a device can connect to your network and, after a set amount of time, it will be disconnected from the network. To prevent this, go into the router settings and increase the DHCP lease time, or disable DHCP Leasing.

We are also going to want to check to see if any settings that limit connections or bandwidth have been applied. The more devices, that are active on your wireless network, the more wireless network bandwidth is being used. Certain tasks, such as video streaming, gaming, video calls, data backups, etc., can use large amounts of data, which decreases available bandwidth for other devices. If you suspect a device is using too much bandwidth, turn off the device (or the app) to determine if it is the cause. In the router settings, check if the router is set to only allow up to a certain number of devices to connect to the network (this setting is often labeled DHCP Limit/Range). If there is a limit, remove or increase it to accommodate the number of devices that will be on the network.

I would also like to note that it may take your system between two and eight minutes to connect to a Wi-Fi network, depending on how many networks the system has been connected to. Your system will remember the configurations of the last four networks that were setup. Your system will attempt to connect to the most recently used network for two minutes before attempting to connect to the next most recently used network for another two minutes. If the network that you're trying connect to is not one of the previous four networks, the system will need to be set up again.

After we have checked the above, we may want to try factory resetting the system to clear the memory. We can do this by:

1. Close the Wi-Fi Setup Application.
  2. Remove the USB cable connection between the SoundLink Air and the computer.
  3. Press and hold the Reset button on the bottom panel until the Wi-Fi LED changes from solid amber to off; this will take 10 to 15 seconds. The reset button is on the on bottom of the SoundLink Air.
  4. When the reset is complete, the Wi-Fi indicator should blink amber. If it does not, the reset was not performed successfully
  5. Reopen the Wi-Fi Setup Application.
  6. Only reconnect the USB cable between the SoundLink Air and the computer when instructed by the application.
  7. In the 'Select your Wi-Fi network' portion of the application, be sure the correct network name is being selected. If SoundLink Air is appearing in this list, do not select it.
  8. Complete the set up as normal.

Let me know how you get on! 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Hi Vicky -thanks for the reply my email response back to you bounced after 24 hours so see my comments in red below

So sorry that this is not working for you. Let’s see if we can get this sorted. I note that you said that you have updated your WiFi router. If the network name or password contains non-alphanumeric characters we will need to download the latest version of the Wi-Fi Setup Application located at www.Bose.com/wifisetup as some early versions of the application were not able to accept the entry of special characters (~!@#$%^&)< or >. ​Yep, using the latest downloaded application. Just tells me to take USB out and try again. 

Are you aware of any additional safety features have been added to your network?​How do I find this on a Mac? If MAC filtering has been enabled, the MAC address of the SoundLink Air will need to be added to the list of devices that are allowed to connect to the network. On Apple routers, such as the AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express and Time Capsule, the Airport utility refers to MAC filtering as "access control” - to avoid confusion with the term Mac computer. Also, check for DHCP Leasing. It limits the amount of a time a device can connect to the network. When enabled, a device can connect to your network and, after a set amount of time, it will be disconnected from the network. To prevent this, go into the router settings and increase the DHCP lease time, or disable DHCP Leasing.

We are also going to want to check to see if any settings that limit connections or bandwidth have been applied. The more devices, that are active on your wireless network, the more wireless network bandwidth is being used. Certain tasks, such as video streaming, gaming, video calls, data backups, etc., can use large amounts of data, which decreases available bandwidth for other devices. If you suspect a device is using too much bandwidth, turn off the device (or the app) to determine if it is the cause. In the router settings, check if the router is set to only allow up to a certain number of devices to connect to the network (this setting is often labeled DHCP Limit/Range). If there is a limit, remove or increase it to accommodate the number of devices that will be on the network. ​Don't have any material connections.

I would also like to note that it may take your system between two and eight minutes to connect to a Wi-Fi network, depending on how many networks the system has been connected to. Your system will remember the configurations of the last four networks that were setup. Your system will attempt to connect to the most recently used network for two minutes before attempting to connect to the next most recently used network for another two minutes. If the network that you're trying connect to is not one of the previous four networks, the system will need to be set up again.

After we have checked the above, we may want to try factory resetting the system to clear the memory. We can do this by:

Close the Wi-Fi Setup Application. Remove the USB cable connection between the SoundLink Air and the computer. Press and hold the Reset button on the bottom panel until the Wi-Fi LED changes from solid amber to off; this will take 10 to 15 seconds.​It remains on solid amber until I unplug it. The reset button is on the on bottom of the SoundLink Air. When the reset is complete, the Wi-Fi indicator should blink amber.It never blinks amber, just stays solid amber and never beeps to allow me to do the alternative IP address set-up method 

If it does not, the reset was not performed successfully Reopen the Wi-Fi Setup Application. Only reconnect the USB cable between the SoundLink Air and the computer when instructed by the application. In the 'Select your Wi-Fi network' portion of the application, be sure the correct network name is being selected. If SoundLink Air is appearing in this list, do not select it. Complete the set up as normal.

Let me know how you get on! ​by the way I am in the UK

Highlighted
Community Manager

@raks1973, thanks for that additional information! Happy to provide some further thoughts below.

@raks1973 wrote:

"​It never blinks amber, just stays solid amber and never beeps to allow me to do the alternative IP address set-up method."

Just for reference, when the Wi-Fi LED is solid amber, the speaker is successfully in alternative setup mode. I'll update that post to make that clearer. 

@raks1973 wrote:

3. I have also tried the soundlink wifi setup by pressing reset and letting the amber light come on, it never flashes or makes a sound so there is no wifi to connect to on mobile phone or laptop to then do the IP address set-up process.

As the LED is solid amber showing that the unit is in setup mode, what happens if you attempt to proceed to step 5 in the alternative setup method? As a reminder, we want to work through the following:

• On a computer or mobile device, go to the Wi-Fi settings and connect to BoseSoundLink Air Network
  • Open a web browser and go to http://192.168.1.1
  • Follow the on-screen instructions

If you're unable to find or connect to the BoseSoundLink Air Network, have you tried using an alternative mobile phone, tablet, or even computer, to connect wirelessly with?