SoundTouch 20

Country

Singapore

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on 

iPhone 8 on iOS14.4

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

My SoundTouch 20 stopped showing up on WiFi as "BoseXXX" and thus I am unable to connect to it using SoundTouch app. It has been showing up as greyed out in the app. I did "2 & Volume-" but it did not help. So, using instructions from below thread, I tried to restrore factory settings by pressing "1 & Volume-". However, after countdown from 10->1, the display is showing "Speaker Resetting" for past 1 hour. How do I know if the reset is happening/has happened? 

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/SoundTouch-10-failed-to-complete-setup-and-is-froze...

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

Nothing Specific

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Last 1 year. Yes, it did work correctly previously. Initially when this occured, it was resolved by clearing the pairings and pairing again as this issue (Speaker not appearing on list of Bluetooth options), started to happen with some of the devices not all. But eventually it stopped appearing totally under the Bluetooth option of all mobile devices.

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Yes. Please see the steps under question "Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce"

12 REPLIES 12
Sam_F

Re: SoundTouch 20 Fails to Factory Reset

Hey Poddar,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community. I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty performing a factory reset, but I'd be happy to help.

From what you've mentioned, you have been performing the correct steps, but the speaker isn't making any progress. I'd recommend resetting the speaker by disconnecting it from power for two minutes and then attempting the factory reset again.

You'll know the factory reset has completed because the system will reset and after, the WiFi symbol will be shown as solid amber. Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Poddar
Participant
Registered since

Feb 13, 2021

Thank you Sam_F!

I tried your suggestion but alas it still doesn't finish reset and keeps showing "Speaker Resetting".

Any subsequent idea that can be tried? Also, typically how many minutes does it take for the Factory Reset to finish and the Solid Amber Wi Fi Signal to appear.

Regards

Poddar 

Keith_L

Hi Poddar,

The factory reset process usually only takes a couple of minutes, so it should definitely not be resetting for an hour as you mentioned in your previous post.

When you disconnected the speaker from power for two minutes as @Sam_F suggested, what happened when you reconnected the power? Did the speaker start resetting automatically, or did it start up normally and you had to press the buttons to start the factory reset again?

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Poddar
Participant
Registered since

Feb 13, 2021

Hi @Keith_L 

When I reconnected the Speaker to power, the speakers starts up normally and displays a message "Download the SoundTouch App to Set Up". In the SoundTouch App, when i am trying both WiFi and Ethernet options, the Speaker still doesn't appear in the list of WiFi items I see on my iPhone. As a result I am not able to figure out how to connect to it.

Jeff_G

I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems with this. 

Have you tried restarting the iPhone before trying setup? I also recommend disabling and re-enabling WiFi as this may help locate the network. 

The SoundTouch 20 is in setup mode when you see the message you mentioned along with an orange WiFi symbol above the display.

Still unable to set it up via the iPhone? Do you have a computer? You can perform a tethered setup using a micro-USB cable. The SoundTouch app can be downloaded here.

Please let us know how you get on.

Thanks!

Poddar
Participant
Registered since

Feb 13, 2021

HI @Jeff_G 

Thanks for your response! Can you please help me with the steps for a tethered set up using a computer?

I am even trying the connection via Bluetooth only but after pressing and clearing the pairing list using the Bluetooth/AUX button, I do not get “Ready to connect” on the display.

Best

Vikash

Jeff_G

Hello Vikash, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

Setting up via a computer is virtually the same as doing it via a smartphone, but instead, you connect the USB cable when prompted. The speaker will be detected, then you'll be able to enter your WiFi credentials as normal. 

Please let me know if this solves the problem.

Poddar
Participant
Registered since

Feb 13, 2021

Hi @Jeff_G 

On connecting via computer, the only difference I found was that my speaker was detected when I connected the USB cable when prompted which was not happening when I was using a mobile app. However, on comupter app also, I am unable to add speaker over Wi-Fi or over Ethernet as it says that speaker is not found. Could it be an issue with speaker's hardware as the speaker is coming up over Wi-Fi or Bluetooth itself?

Best

Vikash

Jeff_G

Good day, Vikash! 

Thanks for giving that a try, I'm sorry to hear you were unable to set up via the PC either. It's good to hear that the speaker was detected but it's unusual you were unable to set up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but during setup, I assume:

1. The speaker was detected and you went through to the screen that asked you to choose your WiFi network

2. You have chosen your home WiFi network name (not the speaker's network) and the password for your network.

3. You have clicked CONNECT and waited. 

During this time, the speaker has attempted to connect, and you should see the WiFi symbol on the front of the speaker blinking white. 

After a few moments, this has then failed, and advised that the speaker was unable to connect. 

Is that all correct?

What color is the WiFi symbol on the speaker now? 

I'll look forward to your reply!