AB03
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2020

SoundTouch 300 With LG 60UM6900PUA AND 4K Apple TV - Sound Cuts Out

Equipment: SoundTouch 300 soundbar connected to a LG TV 60UM6900PUA through HDMI ARC.  Connected to the LG TV is a 4k Apple TV.  All devices purchased in Dec 2019.

Issue: When watching content from the Apply TV the sound will cut out for about half a second then about a second later it cuts out again.  This cut out always happens in a pair and happens at varying intervals.  This is most noticeable when watching content with with constant sound, specifically sports with lots of background noise.

The sound bar does not do this when viewing over the air channels on the TV.  I have played with setting on the TV and Apple TV with no resolution.  I have also tried different HDMI cables as well as the optical cable provided with the soundbar.  All devices have been updated to most recent software.  I have also tried disconnecting and reconnecting everything as well as reset all devices and started over.  Same issue persists.

Any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: SoundTouch 300 With LG 60UM6900PUA AND 4K Apple TV - Sound Cuts Out

Hi AB03,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear about the sound drop out you are experiencing and I would be happy to help with this.

It sounds like you have already done some great troubleshooting on this already so thank you for doing that and letting us know. Checking other cables and inputs are both really helpful steps to try for this issue.

From how you have been describing this, it does sound like this may be an issue with the communication between your TV and Apple TV. To test this, if you were to disconnect the soundbar, would you still get the sound cutting out through the TV speakers when watching the Apple TV?

If it does, then it would definitely suggest something is happening with the Apple TV sending the audio through your TV that is causing this issue.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
AB03
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2020

Hello, Thanks for the response.

Tonight I tried the sound without the sound bar.  It worked fine without experiencing the issue.  I also tried an old RCA sound bar connected via an optical cable and it also did not have any issues.

This leads me to believe it is something in the way the Bose sound bar is reading the sound coming though from the TV.  I also tried a different source, a blu-ray player.  The same problems persisted.

Highlighted

Hello AB03, 

Thanks for getting back in touch. 

I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues with this. With regards to testing, have you tried connecting the Apple TV directly to the soundbar to pass thru to the TV via HDMI? Does the issue persist if you connect in this manner? 

Have you also checked the audio settings on the Apple TV? Are there any 'automatic' settings in the audio settings enabled and if so, have you tried to adjust them to see if this makes any difference? Remember, the SoundTouch 300 soundbar is compatible with Dolby Digital and DTS formats. 

Kind regards,

Jeff G

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
AB03
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2020

After trying multiple combinations of audio outputs form the tv and Apple TV, it appears the auto setting on the Apple TV and the PCM output from the TV has solved the issue.  The TV also had a software update Friday so maybe that solved the issue too, no real way to know.