Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

SoundTouch 300 audio crackling/dropping via optical cord

Been using my SoundTouch 300 bar for 4yrs, not a single issue since purchasing, of course warranty just went expired 2 months ago and now I’m experiencing issues. 

The STB 300 is connected via optical cord, found this was the best experience for me and didn’t have issues until the other night when the bar stopped audio, turned off and turned back on. After it turned back on the audio crackles, fluctuates volume and drops out all together, the few seconds in between one of those the audio is normal. I connected the bar via Bluetooth and the output is normal albeit about half a second delayed which drives me nuts. I figured since the Bluetooth was working I would switch the cable out, still to no avail, same issues. Software is updated on equipment and tv, I even tried to connect the old optical cable to another soundbar and it worked fine. I don’t know what to do, hopefully someone can help or a mod can give me some guidance/additional troubleshooting tips.

thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: SoundTouch 300 audio crackling/dropping via optical cord

Hi P.taccone,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with the optical connection to your soundbar and I would be happy to help with this.

It sounds like you have tried some great troubleshooting already, so thank you for trying that and letting us know. Checking other sources and using an alternative cable are both steps that are really helpful.

When you used the original optical cable with another soundbar, did you use the same TV or a different TV? It does seem that there is an issue with the optical signal either being sent by the TV or received by the soundbar. If the TV is able to work with another soundbar via optical, this would narrow it down to the SoundTouch 300.

The other way that you may be able to test this, is by connecting another device to the SoundTouch 300 via optical. Some cable boxes, DVD/Blu-Ray players and games consoles do have an optical out for audio, that you can connect directly to the soundbar, then see if the issue persists.

If it is on the end of the soundbar, the next thing you would want to is power cycle the soundbar. To do this you would need to disconnect the speaker from power for 30 seconds, then reconnect and test again.

If you are still having difficulty after that, I would recommend factory defaulting the soundbar, then setting it back up again. You can find the instructions on how to do this HERE.

let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 17, 2020

Hi Keith,
Thanks for your suggestions, all signs are pointing towards the issue being with the soundbar as I tried different devices to the soundbar and all the same issue. I completed the reset as suggested and performed the updates again to make sure the system was up to date. Issue still persists. Any other suggestions? What are my next steps?

thanks

Highlighted

Hi P.taccone, 

Thank you for coming back to us! 

It sounds as though we have tried all the troubleshooting normally recommended for this issue. At this point, I would recommend reaching out to our team for assistance. Click the LINK HERE, select your country and scroll down to 'Contact Us', we will do all we can to assist you! 

Kindest,

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.