Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2019

SoundTouch 300 - sound quality

Hi,

The quality of sound through the SoundTouch app is far more superior compared to music on tv (I noticed this when I listened to music via the SoundTouch app, and followed up by listening to the same song and switching between via the App and via the tv).

Set-up:

SoundTouch 300, Surround Speakers, Bass Module 500, connected via HDMI ARC into my Samsung 50NU7400.

Is there a logical explanation behind this, and is there anything I can do?

Thanks,

Elliot

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: SoundTouch 300 - sound quality

Hi Elliot, 

thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Community! 

Can you confirm that the audio is coming from the SoundTouch 300 and the accessory speakers rather than the TV when you switch to TV? 

Which source are you using to play the audio through your TV? 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 20, 2019

Hi Jessie,

Yes, I can confirm that the sound is coming through the Bose speakers in all instances.

When comparing the audio this was

A) on one of the tv channels radio stations

B) via AirPlay, playing a youtube video song from 2019 on their official channel.

With this said, I have noticed in general outside of these two examples that I get better sound when listening to music through the SoundTouch app in comparison to playing films/music on the TV.

Elliot

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Elliotc93 wrote:

Hi Jessie,

Yes, I can confirm that the sound is coming through the Bose speakers in all instances.

When comparing the audio this was

A) on one of the tv channels radio stations

B) via AirPlay, playing a youtube video song from 2019 on their official channel.

With this said, I have noticed in general outside of these two examples that I get better sound when listening to music through the SoundTouch app in comparison to playing films/music on the TV.

Elliot

I have notice similar examples of TV based music sources. One reason I noticed is the TV source generally provides a PCM or LPCM signal. I even noticed Apple Music coming in via the new Airplay app on my TV is PCM. Stingray, from my cable provider comes in as Dolby Digital 2.0 which sounds marginally better.  All these formats are being processed and displayed on the console screen of my Cinemate 130. SoundTouch on the other hand is obviously coming in using less compression. Apple Music coming in via Airport Express on the Aux port sounds much better than from the TV source as well. I understand Airport Express employs a very good DAC as does the Bose speakers. So I think it’s all about compression and digital audio conversion. TV sources and TVs in general probably don’t do as good a job as Bose SoundTouch and Airport Express.

Highlighted

Hi Elliot, 

Thank you for the clarification. 

Thank you Rickatk, for your input. I suspect that you are correct. Many Music provides through the TV and through sites such as YouTube use a great deal of compression which might be the cause of the difference in the Audio Quality. When streaming through the SoundTouch Application there is little compression. 

I hope this helps. 

Kindest,

Jessie O

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.