Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2020

SoundTouch 300 with Apple HomePod

Hey everyone. 

I have a ST 300 (soundbar). If I buy an Apple HomePod, will I now be able to put the HomePod behind me and use it as a rear speaker? 

So, can I play sound from my tv to the soundbar and HomePod? 

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I couldn’t find anything and desperate to buy a rear speaker! 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: SoundTouch 300 with Apple HomePod

No,

While you can now connect them by airplay, the second speaker will just play stereo audio (or mono depending on the speaker).  The way to get surround sound from the ST300 is with the Virtually invisible 300 or the Surround Speaker packs.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2020

Sorry no I don’t necessarily need surround sound, I’m just wanting to know whether if I am watching TV, I can have sound from that coming from both the ST300 and HomePod.  

So can sound from TV go to both? 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Not TV sound, it would only connect the two speakers through airplay - So if you have watch through an appleTV you may be able to, but it's really designed for mobile devices.

The only way to do that from your TV would be through a second SoundTouch device (ST10/20/30) and the SoundTouch app.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@WorldsOnFire wrote:

Hey everyone. 

I have a ST 300 (soundbar). If I buy an Apple HomePod, will I now be able to put the HomePod behind me and use it as a rear speaker? 

So, can I play sound from my tv to the soundbar and HomePod? 

Sorry if this question has been asked before. I couldn’t find anything and desperate to buy a rear speaker! 

Two different platforms.

Home Pod was designed a music solution. Albeit HomePod can be used in conjunction with Apple TV for AV applications. Reviews on Apple TV as an AV solution are mixed.

The ST300 soundbar was designed as an AV solution. There are rear speakers available for the SoundTouch 300 on the Bose site.