Highlighted
DenBir
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

SoundTouch Android App crash

Hello, 

I use the Android SoundTouch App in Version 23.0.0. The App is crashing everytime at the device for SoundTouch 300.

The issue was discussed in german community. 

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Lautsprecher/Soundtouch-App-für-Android-stürzt-ständig-ab/t...

The root issue is the communication between Shelly's (shelly.cloud) and the SoundTouch App with mDNS packages. 

I just wanted to start this request outside of Germany and ask if this problem is known and if there is already a solution.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: SoundTouch Android App crash

Hi Denbir, 

Thank you for reaching out to us! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issue you are experiencing with the app, I'll be more than happy to assist you!

Can you tell me if you have tried any troubleshooting already? 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

DenBir
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Hello, 

For test I've connected my several mobile phone's and the SoundTouch 300 in a clean, dedicated WiFi (Guest WiFi). Then I've got no issue with the App.

When I connect my mobile phone's and or the SoundTouch 300 in my private WiFi with the Shelly's I've got everytime crash in the SoundTouch App.

The issue is perhabs between Shelly's and Multicasts DNS Packages with the SoundTouch App. 

More examples are posted in german community. 

Kind regards, 

Dennis 

Hello DenBir,

From the testing you have done already it does seem like it could be something in the network causing the issue. So I can gather a bit more information, what do we tend to be doing in the app when it crashes and does it give any kind of error code? Does the crash usually involve the app freezing or closing itself completely? (My German isn't the strongest so I do apologize if some of these answers were in the other thread you linked).

We do have some recommended router settings for use with our speakers, so it may be worth seeing if we can get the router set up in this way, although due to the unique nature of how everyone sets up their network there may be more going on with the network than is immediately apparent.

Recommended router settings for SoundTouch™ compatibility

Dual Band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) SSID - Name Both Differently

UPnP - Enable

Multicast - Enable

IGMP - Enable

Wireless Isolation - Disable

IGMP Proxy - Disable

Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode - Mixed or B/G/N

Stealth mode - Disable

MAC Filtering/Access Control - Disable, or add the SoundTouch™ system’s MAC address to the allowed devices list

WPS - Disable

Wireless channel - Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended.

Security type – WPA-2(PSK) with AES Encryption.

WMM – Disable.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

DenBir
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Hello Keith, 

My English isn't the strongest, too. 🙂 

Thanks for recommended Wifi information. 

The issue isn't the Wifi router or the config. Because with a new dedicated Wifi with the same config from the same router I've got no issue.

The App crash on differently times on my private Wifi. The App is every time complete closing. After several tries Android get a popup with info that the App is crashing.

This can I reproduce with several mobile phones. 

After the crash, the App start everytime from the beginning with bose screen etc. 

I've try to delete the App or reboot my mobil phone but I get the same issue. 

I found perhabs infos for Shelly's 

and Multicast DNS packages.

https://shelly-api-docs.shelly.cloud/#shelly-family-overview

For whatever reason, the app does not handle the mDNS packages and then crashes.

Hey DenBir, 

Thank you for posting and updating us on this! We appreciate all of the information that you have shared above. 

Due to the complexity of your network, I feel that we should look into this further over a call so that we can better understand all of your settings and set up! Please can you give our Bose Germany team a call via this link here and the team will be able to dig into this deeper for you. 

Sorry that this wasn't something we could help you with via the community. 

Kind regards, 

Hector B 

DenBir
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Hello,

I've calling with the german bose support.

The conversation, however, was very sobering.

The employee had never heard of such a problem and could not and did not want to help me. I requested that the request be accepted. Thats it. 

My Wi-Fi network isn't complex. I use a FritzBox (all in one router) for lan and Wi-Fi.

The only difference are the Shelly's. These are also in the Wi-Fi. 

I can reproduce the issue with a new Wi-Fi, a Shelly, a SoundTouch speaker and a mobile phone with SoundTouch App. 

When I searching the speaker, the App is crashing. 

Could a network capture or other something files might be helpful for further analyze? 

I like to support the problem further to analyze and fix.

Kind regards, 

Dennis 

Hi Dennis, 

Thank you for coming back to us and providing this information! 

I must admit this is not something that I have heard of before speaking with you. I have taken some time to look into this further for you and I haven't been able to locate any other cases of this issue. The next step here would be for me to forward your case onto the development team to see if there is anything else they can add. I can see from your original post that you have already raised this with the team on the German Community, would you like me to raise it here too? 

In teams of the capture, I don't think that this would be necessary at this point but should we go further we can let you know what we need. 

Let me know how you would like to proceed! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

DenBir
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Hello Jessie, 

would you like me to raise it here too?

> Yes, please.

I'm looking forward to the feedback.

Kind regards, 

Dennis

Hi Dennis, 

Thank you for coming back to me! 

You will shortly receive a private message from us asking for some additional information so we can raise this for you. 

Thank you for your time bringing this issue to our attention.

Kindest,

Jessie O