Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

SoundTouch Firmware Update - 23.0.12 - UPDATE November 22nd

soundtouch-speakers.jpg

November 22nd Update

A new version of the firmware, 23.0.12, has been made available to everyone that includes a fix for the Spotify Premium issue below.

In addition to the updates noted for 23.0.10 below, this firmware also makes available Spotify Free for all SoundTouch users! After you have accepted the update you can stream Spotify Free by connecting to your SoundTouch speaker through the Spotify Connect App.

Thank you for your patience as we resolved this issue and we hope you enjoy!

November 19th Update

The 23.0.10 software roll out has been extended so not everyone will have it today. This is so we can address an issue that was found that affected audio dropouts with Spotify Premium. Rest assured we are actively working on fixing this as soon as possible and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.  We will provide more information about a new firmware update once it is available. Thanks! 

Firmware Update Details 

Starting on Tuesday, November 12th, the 23.0.10 firmware update will be rolled out for Bose SoundTouch Speakers. The update will roll out in phases and you may not receive the update until November 19th. When the update is available for your speaker(s), log into the SoundTouch app and accept the update.

In addition, there is a SoundTouch App update that will accompany this firmware update available for iOS and Android.

What is in this release?  

23.0.10 firmware update brings with it fixes to bugs and other minor enhancements. In addition to these, additional features will be enabled in the future. We will have more details regarding these features at that time!

The SoundTouch app will also update with the changes below. The app version, however, will remain the same (23.0.0 of Android and 23.0.4 for iOS).
• Fix scrolling issue on Favorites/Presets screen
• Other general bug fixes

118 REPLIES 118
Plasmanut
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Re: SoundTouch Firmware Update - 23.0.10

@Wayne_M wrote:

What is in this release?  

23.0.10 firmware update brings with it fixes to bugs and other minor enhancements. In addition to these, additional features will be enabled in the future. We will have more details regarding these features at that time!

What is this supposed to mean? We go through a firmware release which apparently does nothing, unless you can define “enhancements”. And we are once again pointing to the future talking about additional features, with no specific mention of AirPlay 2?????

galooper
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 1, 2016

They say they will activate functions in the future in the same firmware they are launching today, it could be airplay 2, right? Hopefully we are close to the launch of this feature.

Plasmanut
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Not sure how incremental firmware updates are required to enable a feature. It either does this today or it doesn’t and it sounds like it’s the latter. 

Why not say what it is?

DerGute
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

i understood it like that:

This update made some fundamental preparations for a new feature. The enhancements were necessary to bring out a newer update with propably airplay2

Plasmanut
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

I admire your optimism but as much as you interpret it that way, it makes no mention of AirPlay2. 

This is precisely what I’m trying to point out. Why does the communication have to be vague?

Bose, does anyone in your communications department participate in crafting these messages and do they have a seat at the table when deciding how to address a public relations problem? It certainly doesn’t sound like it. 

Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

So, they do say "features" (plural) but from reading the bottom of this announcement, at least one of the things it seems will be SoundTouch compatibility with non-premium (free) Spotify accounts.  I really, really hope that's not the extent of it and that AirPlay 2 is also coming.

grath
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

If you connect to the CLI (e.g. telnet <yourip> 17000) and type "airplay2" there seems to be some traces of Airplay 2:

->sys ver

BoseApp version: 23.0.10.45934.3589200 epdbuild.trunk.hepdswbld04.2019-10-29T13:00:50

->OK

->airplay2

Invalid Command Option

->airplay

Command not found

However, none of the previous airplay commands does work (e.g. airplay2 activate).

[edited by moderator]

Anyone still running on version 22 and able to check if "airplay2" throws "Command not found" instead of "Invalid command option"?

DerGute
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

Nice!

>sys ver
BoseApp version: 22.0.3.45705.3436644 epdbuild.trunk.hepdswbld05.2019-07-15T14:24:10
->OK
->airplay2
Command not found

Check this out. It reallY could be a hont

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Plasmanut wrote:

@Wayne_M wrote:

What is in this release?  

What is this supposed to mean? We go through a firmware release which apparently does nothing, unless you can define “enhancements”. And we are once again pointing to the future talking about additional features, with no specific mention of AirPlay 2?????

Seems pretty clear to me ... 23.0.10 firmware includes bug fixes and is a foundation for future features , like Spotify on November 19, 2019. Other future features ? Could be Airplay. I have read about these building block approaches to firmware upgrades in other applications, not that unusual. When Apple + came out on November 1, I had to do a further upgrade on a firmware version that recently updated my Apple TV (series 3).

I am not saying Airplay will be coming out on this latest build but the firmware update  micro build procedures look familiar.

As far as line of communication, I wouldn’t expect much more from other large companies these days...they are very careful about their promises, should they not be able to deliver.