SoundTouch Link Aux In Problem

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

SoundTouch Link Aux In Problem

I just bought a projector and want to listen to movies through speakers sourced with a SoundTouch link. When I connect the 3.5 mm to the link from the projector output and select Aux on the app, nothing comes through. I have three links and none of them work with the aux in. My other SoundTouch products will play the aux though. Please help. Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

Re: SoundTouch Link Aux In Problem

Hello Mcrosbym, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble with your setup. The SoundTouch Wireless Link adapter does not act as a stand-alone speaker. The purpose of the STWLA is to input sound to your speakers from the SoundTouch application or Bluetooth connected devices. 

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

I understand that - I have three Links and other SoundTouch speakers - but that’s not my question/issue.  The Links (and all of the SoundTouch units) have 3.5mm auxiliary inputs that can take external signals and run it through the integrated speaker (with a SoundTouch 10 for example) or through the output RCAs and I to an external amp powering bookshelf speakers  (like with the Link). The SoundTouch app has an “Aux” button so the machine knows to do this. 

My problem is that my links don’t send out signals sourced from the 3.5 mm auxiliary inputs even when the “aux” button is pressed on the app. That’s what I need help with. 

As further explanation, the functionality that is not working for me is described on page 20 of the manual:

Connect to the AUX connector
You can connect the audio output of a smartphone, tablet, computer or other type of
audio device to your speaker’s AUX connector. The AUX connector accepts a 3.5 mm
stereo cable plug (second cable not provided).
1. Using a 3.5 mm stereo cable, insert one end of the cable to the connector on
your SoundTouch® Wireless Link.
2. Insert the other end of the cable into the 3.5 mm connector on your mobile device.
3. From within the app, select the speaker tray at the bottom of the screen.
The speaker tray appears.
4. From the speaker tray, select AUX.
The SoundTouch® Wireless Link is now in AUX mode

Hi Mcrosbym, 

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. Could you please provide us with a little more information on your setup so that we can understand this better. 

For example projector > aux out > SoundTouchWLA. SoundTouch app > SoundTouchWLA Aux input > Play All. (Please also let us know which SoundTouch speakers/Adapters you have and what they are connected to) 

If you connect an aux speaker directly via the port on the projector, does the speaker produce audio? Can you please also make sure that this projector can send audio out via aux? 

I look forward to your reply. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Quiet Contributor

Yes, your description is accurate:

Projector 3.5 mm aux out --> SoundTouchWLA Aux in/SoundTouch app "aux" selected --> 3.5 mmAux Out converted to RCA to amplifier --> amplifier powering external speakers. 

I do not try "play all" or use the SoundTouchWLA as a source for other SoundTouch units when using the Aux In (I know from other postings that this is beyond its capabilities) -- I just want to source the one amplifier the SoundTouchWLA is attached to.

Yes, Iwhen I connect other speakers to the aux out directly via the port on the projector they make sound. In fact, when I connect it to my SoundTouch 20 Aux In, that works with the projector as I said in my original post. 

ll. (Please also let us know which SoundTouch speakers/Adapters you have and what they are connected to) 

Hi Mcrosbym,

Thanks for posting and updating us on this. There is a little break in the chain with your connections here. 

Projector 3.5 mm aux out --> SoundTouchWLA Aux-in/SoundTouch app "aux" selected --> Where does this go? Also 3.5 mm Aux Out (What is this device? Another SoundTouchWLA?) converted to RCA to amplifier --> amplifier powering external speakers.

Please provide us with as much detail as you can on this physical setup and products being used with a structured and linear line of connection and systems. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Quiet Contributor

There's no break, it goes from the 3.5 mm port Audio Out on the SoundTouchWLA and I use the converter that came with the unit to convert 3.5 mm to RCA plugs.  Those RCAs are then connected to the input on the amplifier.  That's it.  It's set up correctly because it works when I play other music through my wifi connection, but just doesn't work with the Aux In as the music source. 

Hello @Mcrosbym , thanks for following up!

I understand here. The WLA is connected to the Amplifer (where your speaker is) via AUX-->L/R RCA cables.

When you're playing from Bluetooth or Wi-Fi (direct connection to the WLA) this will play correctly from the WLA.

However, when you're using the AUX in (Which comes from the project to the WLA first) this will not play correctly, despite this working for other devices.

As such, can I ask that you check the following for me to try and rectify this?

1) If you connect the projector directly to the amplifier (bypassing the WLA all together) are you able to receive audio from your speaker in the same way as the SoundTouch 20? If not, please check the cable you use and/or the audio output settings of the projector.

2) If you use a different audio input device (Such as a different phone or tablet) in place of the original device/projector, does this have any change, or do you still have no audio when selecting AUX? If you swap around your cables do you have the same issue?

3) On the other side, if you use the AUX out to a different item (such as headphones or the ST20) from the projector, can I confirm that you are able to hear the audio from all 3 sources as you noted that your other SoundTouch products will play the AUX?

4) As a quick spot check, can you confirm that the Projector going to "AUX IN" and the output cables from "AUDIO OUT" are connected securely, and that there is no build-up preventing the connection?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Liam W