Mitka
Participant
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

SoundTouch Support 802.1x Authentication?

Does the SoundTouch 10 support 802.1x authentication?

3 REPLIES 3
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: SoundTouch Support 802.1x Authentication?

Pretty sure it's only A/B/G/N.  I think the newer smart speakers are also AC

Ben_E

Hey there,

@Morlock - thanks for your assistance!

@Mitka - thanks for your post. The SoundTouch 10 speaker supports 802.11 b/g/n. It's therefore compatible with both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz router bandwidths.

Don't hesitate to get back in touch if you require any further assistance!

Best wishes

Mehr fühlen, mehr erleben.
Neu in der Community? In unseren Community-Richtlinien findest Du hilfreiche Tipps für den Einstieg. Nicht vergessen: wir haben unsere Community-Ränge und -Belohnungen erneuert und verbessert. Schau sie Dir mal an!
Mitka
Participant
Registered since

Nov 5, 2017

Hi,

It doesn't seem that you all know what is 802.1x, and based on my tries, it doesn't support it.

IEEE 802.1X is an IEEE Standard for port-based Network Access Control (PNAC). It is part of the IEEE 802.1 group of networking protocols. It provides an authentication mechanism to devices wishing to attach to a LAN or WLAN.

Please refer to Wikipedia for further details.

Basically, devices authenticate at a radius server (either router or another device) rather than at the SSID level. You can have 1 SSID and based on the credentials in the radius server, the connecting device is assigned to the appropriate VLAN. Instead of only a Password for the SSID, the SSID now prompts for Username and Password.

This has been more or less standard on devices for years now. I am surprised that it is not supported. I would that hope that Bose newer devices support it, otherwise, I would have to look elsewhere.
I am pretty certain that it can be added via a firmware update.

Now, I have to contemplate what to do with my current devices...such a pity.