Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 7, 2017

SoundTouch Volume Jumps to Maximum

I have an ongoing issue with volume controls on the SoundTouch speakers when using Spotify. It’s not the typical issue that most people complain about on these forums although I have been impacted by that issue previously. My issue is that the volume controls occasionally jump to 100% and absolutely scare the hell out of everyone nearby including the neighbours. I have multiple ST10 speakers, a ST30, a SA-5 Amp with in-ceiling speakers, and a Soundbar 300 with sub. I have had the issue occur without the SA-5 and without the SoundBar as these are more recent additions. Occasionally when trying to adjust the volume - for absolutely no reason and even with the Spotify app closed on the iPad or iPhone - the volume will suddenly jump to maximum volume. Aside from the annoyance of the extremely loud music that scares the hell out of everyone (usually at the worst times possible) I’m also concerned about the potential damage to the speakers.

I have had this issue occur infrequently over a period of more than three years, during which time I’ve changed iPads and iPhones many times, as well as adding different devices (SA-5 and Soundbar 300). I’ve also had the issue occur on a completely seperate system that runs in my office which has its own Spotify account, seperate Soundtouch account and a completely different environment in terms of network etc. including different controlling iPads / iPhones.

In the past couple of months it’s gone from an infrequent issue to a semi common issue, with it happening three times in the past week alone.

The only thing I have noticed happen which may or may not be related is the volume controls appear to lag or not respond right before this happens.

When it happens I’m usually trying to make a small adjustment to the volume and usually trying to turn it down and I’m adjusting the whole group not an individual speaker.

I’ve searched online including these forums and can’t really see anyone else complaining about the same issue. I’m really curious to know from other users if anyone has experienced this same issue and from Bose Support/Engineers what could be going wrong here and how to fix it.

Thank you anyone who can offer some insight.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: SoundTouch Volume Jumps to Maximum

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi a.gilly,

Apologies if I misunderstood. I just want to be sure that the Spotify app was forced close and not in the background applications.

At this stage, I would have to recommend a factory reset on all speakers and then reconnecting them to your network. 

SoundTouch10 - Restoring factory defaults

SoundTouch 30 - Restoring factory defaults

SA-5 - Restoring factory defaults

SoundTouch 300 Soundbar - Restoring factory defaults

I would also recommend removing Spotify from your SoundTouch account and re-adding it. This can correct any occasional processing errors that may have occurred. 

Let me know how you get on with all of this. Of course, if the issue persists, I will be more than happy to explore the next routes with you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted

Hello a.gilly,

Thank you for posting in the Bose Community. 

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this problem with some of your SoundTouch systems. It is most unusual and I will do my best to help you with this. 

Is this issue just specific to Spotify? 

Are you connected via Bluetooth, Spotify Connect, or through the SoundTouch app?

So to confirm, does this volume issue only occur when you have the speakers grouped and not individually?

I look forward to hearing back from you so I can assist you further.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 7, 2017

Hi Charlotte,

I only use Spotify so I can't confirm if the issue is specific to Spotify vs other services.

Yes it only happens when speakers are grouped. I've never experinced it with just a single speaker.

I am using Spotify through the SoundTouch app however I do sometimes use Spotify connect from the Spotify app regularly to send music to the first speakers before then using the SoundTouch app to add additional speakers. 

Yesterday when this issue happened agained I had opened the SoundTouch app directly and started playing music. Spotify was not opened on my iPhone. Around 10 minutes after starting to play music I opened the SoundTouch app again to turn the volume down slightly. When I tried to slide the group volume button down slightly nothing happened and then a couple of seconds later the volume spiked to 100%.

Sometimes when I re-open the SoundTouch app one of the speakers will show the volume slider incorrectly. I have attached a photo to show you. If I try to change the group volume in when the app has done this, I beleive the volume would spike to maximum. I can't be certain but I beleive this volume slider issue has occured each time before I've experinced the issue where volume jumps to maximum.

Example.JPG

Highlighted

Hello a.gilly, 

Thank you for providing additional information. 

I can certainly understand how frustrating this may be. 

I'd like you to test something for a period of time. Can you play Spotify only from the SoundTouch app and make sure that your Spotify app is forced closed to ensure there is no miscommunication. I believe that it is possible that the Spotify app is interfering and causing this confusion with the controls.

Trial this for a small period of time and get back to me with the outcome. 

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 11, 2018

ME TOO! I'm not going crazy. It's happened to me as well. I do use Spotify almost exclusively for streaming using the SoundTouch app, and yes, it seems to happen when some or all of the ST speakrs are grouped, but has for sure happened when playing from just 1 (usually, when I'm playing a ST300 solo or grouped with one of the smaller ST10s or 20). I have 3 x ST10s, 1xST20, 2xST 300s and the VI300 and AM300 paired with one of the ST300s. One more than one occasion it's turned the volume up so high that I though 100% the ST300 blew its speakers.

Under ZERO circumstances have I ever cracked up the volume on any of my STs over 60 or 70%, let alone MAX volume. Because of this and my worry about ruining speaker because the ST app is auto-MAXING the volume without user input, I no longer start streaming ANYTHING until I look at the speaker in the app, make sure the volume is slid into a normal range, then start streaming, THEN add other ST speakers to the group. 

Highlighted

Hi KurticusRex,

I'm sorry to hear that you are also experiencing this issue. 

Would you be able to test the step I mentioned above? Ensure that the Spotify app is forced closed and only stream through the SoundTouch. This will allow us to recognize if there could be some conflict when both the SoundTouch app and Spotify app are active at the same time. 

Could also confirm which devices you are using to connect? 

I look forward to your response.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

I have the same problem with volume spiking up to 100%, and I am using Bluetooth connected to my iphone playing from my library.

Highlighted

Hello mcgrathj, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing a similar issue with the volume jumping.

Your situation differs slights as you are not using Spotify or through the SoundTouch app. 

Therefore, I would like you to test your speaker with another device. 

Could you also confirm which speaker you have?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 7, 2017

Hi Charlotte,

I will do this however not sure if you missed the part in my last post when I mentioned I had it occur when only using the SoundTouch app and Spotify completely closed on my iPhone.

Do you have any thoughts regarding my screenshot and the volume control bar being incorrect for one of the speakers?

Highlighted

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Jessie_O

Hi a.gilly,

Apologies if I misunderstood. I just want to be sure that the Spotify app was forced close and not in the background applications.

At this stage, I would have to recommend a factory reset on all speakers and then reconnecting them to your network. 

SoundTouch10 - Restoring factory defaults

SoundTouch 30 - Restoring factory defaults

SA-5 - Restoring factory defaults

SoundTouch 300 Soundbar - Restoring factory defaults

I would also recommend removing Spotify from your SoundTouch account and re-adding it. This can correct any occasional processing errors that may have occurred. 

Let me know how you get on with all of this. Of course, if the issue persists, I will be more than happy to explore the next routes with you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

View solution in original post