Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 25, 2018

Re: SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter Firmware Update - 24.0.8 - May 12th 2020

Hi yes there are option if the device is airplay enabled but one of my system is lifestyle 535 ii which is not airplay enabled . So is it possible to group it thru soundtouch app .

Tnx

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 25, 2019

Hi, if you scroll up this thread to an earlier post you will see details of how I use wireless link adapter with a 15 year old bose lifestyle 25 series 11. Simply connect your wireless link adapter to your lifestyle 535 inputs (use either video 1 video 2 or tape) then from your phone, tablet or desktop Soundtouch App, stream your music via either bluetooth or Airplay or wifi to your wireless link adapters and music will play through your lifestyle 535. If you want to add say a turntable you can connect that as well to the wireless link adapter aux input. Hope this helps. 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 25, 2018

Hi 

Already there is wireless dongle provided by Bose when i buy 535 ii series.  It has got all the features of soundtouch app except airplay.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Suresh Kumar wrote:

Hi 

Already there is wireless dongle provided by Bose when i buy 535 ii series.  It has got all the features of soundtouch app except airplay.

@Suresh Kumar 

I have the same SoundTouch Wireless Adaptor on my Cinemate 130. Mine is gen 2 and has BlueTooth. The original Bose Airplay announcement seem to suggest any device with BlueTooth would receive the Airplay upgrade.  Sooo fingers crossed, this handy adaptor may receive an Airplay device. If not my Samsung TV which my Cinemate 130 is attached, has been upgraded with Apple Music. Apple is playing in wisely, putting their Apple TV and Apple Music apps onto other devices. Maybe we will see the same for Bose speakers at some point.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Mar 25, 2018

Tnx... Let us see

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

Too little too late, Bose. I was looking to get the SoundTouch 30 to upgrade my SoundDock 10 of nearly 10 years. I was waiting until AirPlay 2 came to it, but it never really did; Airplay 2 arrived only at the tail end of the SoundTouch platform. I bought the SoundTouch Wireless Link in 2017 to give the SoundDock 10 SoundTouch’s capabilities but it’s 2020 now and I am sorry to say that that experience was terrible; buggy software, it would take frustrating minutes just to get the music started.

I loved Bose. The sound quality was perfect coming from such a small footprint, but I had to work so hard to get everything working. I told myself the only thing that mattered was sound quality and that all this toil was worth it for the music.

When I checked on the SoundTouch platform two weeks ago, I noticed the SoundTouch (ST) 30 was no longer available. And the rest of the ST line have practically vanished from Bose.com. And the only product with the Wave technology anymore is the Wave music system. I did not want to do it, but Bose practically dared me to try the competitor.

So at Costco last week, I bought the Sonos One SL 2-pack to test at home. I did not want to like it; Bose still had the winning sound quality. But two weeks later, today, I can’t stop listening on the Sonos One. It sounds great! And the convenience of their polished software and user experience was enough to make me fork the $500 on the new Sonos Five arriving in June 2020.

Between the One and the SoundDock 10 (SD) would be an unfair comparison, but the One is the Manny Pacquiao of speakers, it punches well above its weight class. And when TruePlay is enabled, the One opens up so refreshingly. While I still prefer the Bose sound quality, the Sonos is very close but the user experience is so much more pleasant.

So when I awoke this morning, much to my surprise, the ST Wireless Link had been given AirPlay 2, I was seriously wondering whether I should stick with Bose. Looking back, the Wireless Link had been challenging and when there is no longer a Wave technology powered ST and considering how short the ST’s lifespan was, in the words of the wise Tracy Chapman, “give me a reason to stay here”.

Having said that, The Sonos One has given me a taste of what’s coming in its Sonos Five, sound quality and top notch convenience. Maybe in my limited experience, Sonos is actually lacking, I wouldn’t know because I’m comparing it to crappiness I have been an apologist for since 2017.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Mar 30, 2016

SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapter Firmware Update - also for Wireless adapter?

Dear Bose,

can we expect a similar update for the Cinemate 130 with wireless adapter?

thank you for your feedback

brgds, Silla 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@haloflightleader  great review. I understand your frustration. I have stuck with Bose despite some of the software and compatibility shortcomings. Love the Bose sound. I find Sonos sound and speaker design flat and boring.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 2, 2020

@rickatk , thanks. My SD 10 is alive and well; it has the Wave technology inside that fills our living room with music. And with AirPlay 2 now, it has new life breathed into it. The SD 10 joined my family in October 2010. And I still have an iPod that will sit in its cradle.

However, the SoundTouch still requires multiple retries with the app before the speaker shows up. The AirPlay 2 seems to be more reliable, though. Every time I choose it, it works. But after three years of dealing with that and suddenly two days of AirPlay 2, I can’t erase its tortuous history from my mind.

I know what you mean about Sonos’ boring sound signature. I too noticed how it was as if the sound was coming from under the Earth, muffled — it was still good, but noticeably different from Bose. But when I enabled TruePlay, it opened up wide, higher frequencies sparkled but without being shrill or sibilant. Suddenly the sound was above ground and lively. That’s why I felt confident to try, sight unseen, sound unheard, the Sonos Five. It’s an iteration of the Sonos Play:5.

I’m listening on my SD10 in the living room as I write this. And the sound is terrific. Although, I think until Bose builds a new system with Wave technology that delivers the promise of ST reliably, examining from first principles, it makes no sense to remain a Bose aficionado when, objectively speaking, superior alternatives exist.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 17, 2020

The Wireless Link adapter works great with Apple Play 2.      I have a pair of ST 10 and a SA-5 amp.  Both of these show the Apple Play 2 icon, but you are not able to add them to the group for the Wireless Adapter.   I assume it is just a matter of time for an update to ST10 and SA-5 to allow this.

Update - I was able Apple Play 2 to recognize both the ST Wireless Adapter and the SA-5 at the same time and play the same music.  However still not the ST 10 speakers, even though there is a Apple Play 2 icon for the ST10 screen.