Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 19, 2018

SoundTouch app won't install on MacBook Pro

Hi,

I was unable to update my SoundTouch app, so I decided to install in from scratch. However, that's not working either! Please help!

I have download the installer from here: https://downloads.bose.com/ced/soundtouch/soundtouch_controller_app/index.html

The error messages are:

“SoundTouch-osx-installer.app” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software."

"This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."

"This item is on the disk image “SoundTouch-app-installer-23.0.0-2933-a445a28.dmg”. Chrome downloaded this disk image today at 17:24 from downloads.bose.com."

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: SoundTouch app won't install on MacBook Pro

Hi wbasu,

Thank you for reaching out.

The issue you have run into trying to install the app is down to some new security settings on MacOS Catalina. We do have a post with information on how to install the app on Catalina available HERE.

Follow those steps and you will be back up and running in no time!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 19, 2018

Dear Bose Customer Care,

Thanks very much for your reply. However, unfortunately, the 'solution' you have pointed me to is not a solution at all. We need up-to-date Bose apps that work with latest Mac OS (released 11 months ago!) fully like it used to. As the state of the play now, we simply cannot updated our apps because if we will lose the capabilities (as provided below). 

Hecne, it will be greatly helpful if you could give us an ETA on when you are going to be able to fully solve this? i.e. be fully compatible with apple Music app as you used to be with iTune app?

ISSUES as reported by you:

MacOS 10.15 has also replaced iTunes with Apple Music. As a result, applications that utilize the iTunes Music Library XML file will no longer be able to function properly.  With that said, if you are a SoundTouch user who has added an iTunes source then you will be affected in the following ways.

If you already configured iTunes within the SoundTouch App before updating to Catalina, you will still be able to access your music via SoundTouch after the update, however, any changes made to that music library will not be updated within the SoundTouch App.  This includes moving the song files to a new location or removing iTunes all together.

If you attempt to configure a new iTunes Music Library within the SoundTouch App after updating to Catalina, you will encounter a disabled and greyed out iTunes Music Library option (shown below) and will not be able to complete the setup process.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 15, 2020

Keith:  This is complete and total rubbish and you know it.  The Soundtouch app simply does not work with Mac OS anymore.  Blame Apple or whomever you want, but in the end of the day, BOSE HAS NOT KEPT UP WITH THE MOST POPULAR MUSIC PLAYING SYSTEM IN THE WORLD.  

YOUR SOUNDTOUCH SOFTWARE DOES NOT PLAY APPLE MUSIC (iTunes) LIKE IT DID AND WAS PROMISED TO WHEN WE PURCHASED OUR SPEAKER(S) SYSTEM.

This is HORRIBLE business practice given the time that has passed and promised (above and on other threads).  PERIOD.  Please quit claims of fixes, future updates and a resolution of a totally compromised software system. 

BUT FELLOW USERS:  Skip this nonsense.  Just play your music from Apple Music or wherever your library and if you need to set-up your speakers via the above Soundtouch - have your speakers set up and play your music via BLUETOOTH and skip Bose's alarmingly bad Soundtouch application and customer service.

BOSE:  I WILL NEVER PURCHASE BOSE PRODUCTS AGAIN.  NEVER.  

THIS IS INSANE.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 6, 2015

I am as frustrated as smarquette!!!!
Bose - please tell us where are we going with this?  I have 2x Soundtouch 20's and one Soundtouch 10.  I really would like to get the full benefit from these speakers - but on a Mac using Catalina 10.15.4, this is not possible.  The Bose Soundtouch app cannot even be installed (I deleted the old to overcome the upgrade issues - and tried to install the new....... now I have no Soundtouch app on my Mac)!
Please give us a formal Bose position on this issue?

Highlighted

Hey @Farawayman,

I'm sorry for any trouble you've had trying to install the SoundTouch app - but the new macOS security features mean we have to take a slightly different router when installing.

When you've downloaded the SoundTouch app file from HERE, you'll have to then allow the Mac to install it by going to Settings > Privacy & Security > General > Allow. Let me know if you have any luck with this to install the app!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!