Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!

Bose has stated many times they plan on supporting SoundTouch products and implement Airplay 2.

SoundTouch speakers are still included on their web site as well. The SoundTouch line sits along side the new line under “Smart Home”. I agree the new app should have been backwards compatible to include SoundTouch speakers. However Bose determined that was not to be. That doesn’t mean SoundTouch products instantly cease to exist.

I think we have been conditioned to drop everything and sell our older gear out of fear of obsolescence. My observation with Bose is while they may add new lines they do keep legacy products around for a very long time.

I recently bought a SoundTouch 10 to add to my collection...no conerns!

Highlighted

Hi All, 

I would just like to reiterate the point that @rickatk made. We are continuing to support SoundTouch products and SoundTouch systems are still available to purchase on our website. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

I'll believe that if the ST app continues to work for the next few years despite updates to my various Apple product operating systems, and if AirPlay2 on ST isn't just vaporware. But what would REALLY have made me believe it would have been Bose not isolating my system III products from the new products. 

I will hang on to my Bose products for a while. After all, I"ve got my system up & running well enough most of the time. 

But I expect that in a few years, two or three maybe, I'll be migrating to Homepod and AirPlay2 (which I don't really believe Bose is going to provide support for on my SoundTouch system.) And I will do this no matter how attractive the new iteration of Bose speakers is, because merely supporting ST isn't quite enough. Backwards compatibility is something Apple is good at, and that's your competition in my house. 

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Unfortunately consumers are holding none of the cards on this issue. I don’t think Bose is any less reliable about product development than Apple is. Bose has actually been around a lot longer than Apple in the audio game.

No company is immune from making what is perceived to be poor decisions about their product lines certainly not Bose or Apple. Fact is Apple launched a really nice speaker a few years back. It had all sorts of desirable speaker design features and showed great promise. The speaker discontinued in about a year. Apple recently dropped support for networking routers and such after years of making great wifi gear leaving faithful customers in the lurch.

Bose has released all sorts of audio solutions including receivers with product lines coming and going. Only recently did Bose release a new wireless line that wasn’t backwards compatible leaving a lot of customers feeling abandoned.

I think buying audio gear is like a lot of tech, a bit of a gamble. I also think as consumers we have to make choices the best we can. If Apple still makes the Home Pod in a couple years I would be surprised.

I think Bose will be around though making great speakers. If not, my Sound Touch gear will be old enough I won’t feel guilty about upgrading to a completely different line.

In the mean time I am still very happy with my Sound Touch speakers and enjoy my purchases every day.

Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2019

Yea, this is still bull**bleep**. When companies decide to not make products backwards compatible, their legacy products become afterthought and are not supported as well as their current generation products.

I finally left Apple 2 yrs ago completely (sold everything, and will never go back) for the same reason. 

As long as companies decide to do this for planned obsolesence/financial gain, I will continue to abandon them in favor of companies who value loyalty and don't make asinine walls/barriers for seemingly no reason. 

Please tell us what the logic was for this decision to not make the music app compatible with soundtouch.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I certainly don't know the answer, but sometimes when you want to develop an improved product, it's better to start with a "clean sheet of paper."  Maybe the new operating system is too different from the Soundtouch app to make it backward compatible.  Soundtouch products still work with the Soundtouch app and the new Bose products work with the new system.  There is no reason to upgrade or throw out your Soundtouch products.

Highlighted

Hi @BluesunsXIV

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

The reason that Soundtouch isn't compatible with the Bose Music App is that the new line of smart products are built on an entirely new software architecture that was built from the ground up with smart voice assistants in mind at the core of the user experience. 

I hope this helps! Also thank you @Xyz987 for trying to provide some insight! 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 18, 2016

I am very dissapointed at BOSE we have been waiting for years for an update that would make this app better as we were promised when sound touch first came out, since then every update is very MINOR, I believe only once we had a major update, I have been saying for years such a minor thing like fast forwarding or rewind from our music library is not available, we were promised more music services, air play2.

I'm sure BOSE is aware that SONOS APP is sooo much better but they refuse to try to fix it.

So that makes me believe that sound touch is phasing out slowly.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 11, 2020

Im in Australia (not sure if that makes any difference) and Im thinking about buying a Sounbar 700 to add to my Soundtouch speakers (I have 3 x soundtouch 20 and 2 x soundtouch 30 speakers).  Im really surprised by all of this chat about soundtouch not compatible with the new Bose systems.

It seems to me I wont be able to link the Soundbar 700 with Soundtouch speakers - correct???

So my question is this - 

If I was going to buy a soundbar for my TV that I can also play music (e.g from Spotify through the SoundTouch app) together at the same time with all of my other Soundtouch speakers,  then will the Soundbar 300 do this??

Sorry if I dont sound real tech-savvy, I hope you understand what I mean.

Ive had Bose speakers for many years, and Im gutted by what Ive read about this Soundtouch being phased out

cheers

Dave

Highlighted

Hello David, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Community! 

You are correct, our new Smart Home range will not connect with our SoundTouch range. 

If you are looking for a smart soundbar that will pair with SoundTouch, you will need to use the SoundTouch 300 Soundbar. You have the capabilities to play audio wirelessly using the SoundTouch app and the added benefit of Bluetooth connections. You can find all of the details for the soundbar here

Do let me know if you have any other questions, as I would love to help. 

We are all about helping each other to learn in the forums. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W