Highlighted
Enthusiast
  • 20
  • 29
  • 1
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!

@Vicky_W thanks for your messsge. Again we need to find a solution to integrate both lines (SoundTouch and Smart speakers). At least we need the availability to playback the same source simultaneously.

Highlighted
Expert
  • 286
  • 1389
  • 30
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!


@lcdopizarro wrote:

@Vicky_W thanks for your messsge. Again we need to find a solution to integrate both lines (SoundTouch and Smart speakers). At least we need the availability to playback the same source simultaneously.


I believe that solution will be Airplay 2. I have a variety of devices running Airplay these days including SoundTouch speakers with Airport Express attached. Also a Samsung TV with connected to a Cinemate 130, Solo 10 and 15 with Apple TV’s attached and a Bose Smart Home speaker 300 with Airplay built in.

 

I did a little testing and can report that indeed all devices run nicely using the Airplay  standard. I started Apple Music on my iPad and searched out some of the devices using the Airplay drop down menu. The result, Apple Music was playing on all the devices over Airplay. I had a good listen and couldn’t detect any delay even on “aux in” connected Airplay devices.

 

@lcdopizarro  Most importantly and relevant to your post,  my SoundTouch and Smart Home speakers were  playing in unison,  thanks to Airplay.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
  • 20
  • 29
  • 1
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!

@rickatk Excellent news! One question will I be stuck to Apple Music? Can I use AirPlay with Spotify? Sorry if it’s an obvious question. 

Highlighted
Advocate
  • 85
  • 71
  • 0
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!

Yes, you can use AirPlay with any app or service. 

I personally believe that that this may have been a big incentive for Bose to finally make this happen since they were also getting pressure to integrate music services with their app. 

AirPlay makes this unnecessary. I don’t plan on using the SoundTouch app except for managing devices. 

Highlighted
Expert
  • 286
  • 1389
  • 30
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!


@lcdopizarro wrote:

@rickatk Excellent news! One question will I be stuck to Apple Music? Can I use AirPlay with Spotify? Sorry if it’s an obvious question. 


You will be able to use pretty any music app. As long as you can use the Airplay control panel from within the app or control centre. I have tried Amazon Music and Stingray on iOS works fine over Airplay.

 

Ironically I can use Amazon Music over Airplay and Alexa on my enabled devices. But I can’t add Amazon Music as a music service on SoundTouch in Canada.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
  • 20
  • 29
  • 1
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!

@rickatk So Airplay 2 finally was released and this partially worked. Why partially? Because it appears that there is no Airplay support for my Lifestlye SoundTouch 135 not for my SoundTouch 130. Does someone at Bose can clarify if Airplay will be available for these systems?

Highlighted
Expert
  • 286
  • 1389
  • 30
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!


@lcdopizarro wrote:

@rickatk So Airplay 2 finally was released and this partially worked. Why partially? Because it appears that there is no Airplay support for my Lifestlye SoundTouch 135 not for my SoundTouch 130. Does someone at Bose can clarify if Airplay will be available for these systems?


There was clarification around this point. The wifi adaptors will not be included in the update. Problems with audio latency is the reason cited. I am out of luck with my Cinemate 130 system. It uses the same wifi adaptor as the ST130. If you have a late model TV like Samsung, Vizio, LG or Sony Airplay may be available for those sets. That is what I am doing with my Samsung TV and Cinemate 130. Airplay over HDMI works fine. 

Highlighted
Participant
  • 0
  • 1
  • 0
Registered since

Aug 4, 2020

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!

I have been communicating with some reps and they confirmed a couple things i wanted to share because i'm pretty frustrated about this as well.  They said yes they are no longer selling ST speakers but will continue to offer support.  They told me (and i confirmed on the website) that the ST speakers are not compatible with the new smart home speakers.  There is evidently an entirely new app.  So you would have to have two different apps for each set of speakers to operate them - i told them that's the exact opposite of the entire sales pitch of these home speakers.  That's why i bought into them...to slowly expand in my home as i could afford.  Now to get that feature, i have to start all over....kind of a slap in the face to customers who have invested in their ST speakers.  One rep said they offer an upgrade program where i can trade in my ST 10 for a HomeSpeaker300 for a discounted price of $195 USD.  The website has them "on sale" currently for $199.95 so my $200 ST 10 is worth $4.95 now i guess.  I was planning on ordering new Bose speakers soon, but this is frustrating enough that i'll likely switch to SONOS moving forward.  

Highlighted
Expert
  • 286
  • 1389
  • 30
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: SoundTouch being phased out???!!!


@crawc18 wrote:

I have been communicating with some reps and they confirmed a couple things i wanted to share because i'm pretty frustrated about this as well.  They said yes they are no longer selling ST speakers but will continue to offer support.  They told me (and i confirmed on the website) that the ST speakers are not compatible with the new smart home speakers.  There is evidently an entirely new app.  So you would have to have two different apps for each set of speakers to operate them - i told them that's the exact opposite of the entire sales pitch of these home speakers.  That's why i bought into them...to slowly expand in my home as i could afford.  Now to get that feature, i have to start all over....kind of a slap in the face to customers who have invested in their ST speakers.  One rep said they offer an upgrade program where i can trade in my ST 10 for a HomeSpeaker300 for a discounted price of $195 USD.  The website has them "on sale" currently for $199.95 so my $200 ST 10 is worth $4.95 now i guess.  I was planning on ordering new Bose speakers soon, but this is frustrating enough that i'll likely switch to SONOS moving forward.  


Exactly what is it you are trying to do? How many SoundTouch speakers do you have on hand? 

Indeed Bose decided to update their platform and wrote a new app in the process, an app that is not backwards compatible. I have a variety of Bose WiFi speakers including a SoundTouch adaptor that doesn’t talk to Airplay. Three SoundTouch speakers that work well together and support Airplay but does not communicate with a Smart Home 300 and Bose Colour Link BT speaker. All my Airplay enabled speakers communicate using Airplay.

There are a variety of speakers in the Bose wireless lineup. I think it would be very difficult to get a system of all the same speakers unless you can purchase all your speakers at the outset. When you add time into the equation things will change.

 

Rushing off to buy Bose speakers is not necessarily your best option either.